Trudy

Trudy

A Story by Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)
"

not sure of the story or what its going to be about, so.....writing as i go. not used to story writing, please be gentle ha ha

"
Drivng home in the peak hour traffic was a  real pain Trudy mused to herself humming to Dylan on the FM station. The song was,"" like a rolling stone"". Trudy knew most of his songs and loved them all.   The blue Toyota her beloved 1998  model just barely kept up with the speed on any road  these days,  let alone a freeway, she swore to herself as she stepped on the accelerator passing a learner driver leaving him behind to wallow in his  self doubt. Her husband had told her numerous times, "" Trudy you earn good money now you get just as much as I do nearly  love, and you still drive the old bomb to work and back each day risking your life while youre at it.""  He really did have a point though thought Trudy as she turned off into her suburban exit.  Slowing down from her moderate speed she exhaled and drew in a breath then exhaled.  Her relaxation technique that she had learnt at her  work paid counselling session had helped her immensely this last year that along with some self help books and relaxation apps on her i phone. Sure she could get stressed she realised and did admit this to herself daily and to her workmates when they saw her hands tapping on the desk in meetings or her feet shuffling awkwardly or when she had to talk publicly in meetings she sometimes did a stutter or three. Everyone at her work was kind and patient with her and realised her little idiosincrisies. Its about time the world realised there was some very nervous people on this planet. Also she took a anti depressant for her anxiety and mild depression.This started to help her and she felt calm and balanced most days.  Onlly problem was she couldnt have her beloved wine at night with this damn tablet and she did miss her little flutter of peace with the grape.

Anyway her sleep patterns had improved and she was sure she was now getting at least a 7 hour of mildly  broken sleep rather than her once 8 hours of waking up every 2 hours sleep.  She reached the litlte corner supermarket and pulled up abruptly to see it was nearly closing time.  The owners an elderly couple in their late fifties were about to pull down the security shutters and doors. She needed to get some bread, milk, eggs and some cat food and a chocolate for sure.
The owner saw her coming and smiled at her in the  dusky dark light.
""Hi love we are about to shut, how are you? How is work going? ""said the older shopkeeper named Stella.  Trudy just loved this ittle corner shop, she had been coming here since they moved here from the city when they first married. She loved the outer suburbs an hour from the city and lush and green and peaceful though bustling with families and kids and dogs and sports ovals and soccer matches and well she just plain loved it and could not wait to have  a kid of her own or two and take them to training. or ballet whatever the sex would be she would be a great mum she knew it.
"Hi Stella"" Trudy smiled back and recited ""Milk, bread, eggs, chocolate cat food and oh yes toilet rolls"" she laughed. Lucky she had remembered those last essentials.

""Did you hear about the attack the other night love?""  asked Stella the shopkeeper.
""Yes"" said Stan joining in the conversation as he walked in to chat to his favourite customer.  ""What attack ?""said Trudy, going pale thought Stella.
""Oh havent you heard"" they then went on and  told her about the attack, ""Yes ""terrible said stan.  He went on to say ""The girl was asleep in her bed attacked and killed brutally"" Said Stella  adding in ""poor girl she was only 30 too, lived alone. Just down from you, its a wonder you hadnt had the police doorknock yet.""
""Everyone within a mile has been questioned.  Brutal ""said Stan.
Trudy replied, ""Oh  no Ive been working back and so has my husband doing his usual night shifts"", stammered Trudy.   adding in ""Oh how awful"" she replied.  Shivers went up her spine. She just couldnt believe there was a murder so close and only streets away. ""Gee I hope they find the guy soon"",  she said nervously. Stan said"" For sure I agree but yeh they will  find the bugger, they better anyway,  otherwise lock your door Trudy.""
With this Trudy went even paler and looked nervously back at the elderly couple, replying ""Yes i will Stan. "

Trudy wished now she had a dog. Her husband had told her to get a watch dog for when he was on night shift. She had told him,"" no I have my cat the dog will just annoy the cat and it would be bedlam.""  But now she wished that she had bought a rescue dog. They had gone to see a few  dogs a few weeks ago together, there were some rather cute dogs in the pound. Maybe she could go this weekend and find one.But for now she would have to sleep with her lights on and maybe a rolling pin or baseball bat beside her to fend off any intruders.  She shuddered as she pulled into her driveway.  She scurried into the house turning on all the lights and making sure all rooms were free of intruders or murderers.  She checked all rooms, in  her little white cottage with the neat white fence and roses lining it. She checked the cupboards,  under the beds and of course the  outside shed She turned on all the outside spotlights and the front one as well.  She then deadlocked all doors and windows and closed tight the drapes and blinds.  She sat down and ate her frozen meal lasagne tonight and had a nice cup of tea.
Turning on the news it flashed up the story that the manhunt was on the way still for the murder of the 30 yeaar old female from her own suburb.  NO leads were given yet and people were warned to take heed and precautions.
This of course made Trudy very nervous and she knew she just wouldnt sleep at all tonight.  She had another cup of tea, cammomile double bags this time  and rang her husband. He claimed he  had not heard the news either.  How could they of not heard the news.  She knew he watched the news every night even at work on his nightshift, why didnt he mention it to her ForGods sake she thought. she rang him back and questioned him again. But  he admitted to her finally that yes  he had heard the news but had been wary to tell her lest she get scared and frightened.He knew how nervous his wife got.  She accepted this and hanged up saying she loved him.  Trudy sat down to read a book and skimmed all pages.She could not concentrate, she turned off the tv, turned off all the lights in the house and started to go from room to room checking all windows, all doors and turning on and off the exterior lights.  this was her usual nightly ritual but this was repeated several times before she finally went to bed.

It was 10 pm and she knew she was tired but was reluctant to go to sleep in case this man came for her. He would certainly be a serial killer.  She lay in bed with her lamp on and tried to close her eyes. Her cat was scratching at her backdoor door trying to get out but she didnt want him out with this murderer.  Her husband rang her on her mobile to check on her and they chatted for a few minutes before they both hanged up.  His voice sounded rather distant and nervous but she took not heed. she was more worried about her sleep that night. How would she get through the night without him.  He was her safety, her pillar her strength. she hated him doing the night shift. She loathed it, he didnt seem to mind though. He was always happy doing the night shift and then sleeping all day whilst she was at work.

Trudy awoke the next morning with dark rings under eyes, she had averaged if she was lucky about 2 to 3 hours. She decided to get the train in  to work and sleep on the train to work to get a bit  more sleep. She had considered taking the day off but knew that this day was important.Drat I look terrible she thought as she checked herself in the ladies room of the railway.  Sallow skin, red eyes, limp hair, badly dressed too she had been in a hurry she didnt realise her cardigan buttons were missing. this meeting was so important too for her impending promotion.  she had a great idea for her boss for advertising the new shopping centre.

He looked at her after the meeting and said ""hey whats up Trudy not to your usual form girl.""  she explained about the murder and he laughed. He replied ""OH Trudy they caught him love, he was 2 hours away up the coast tring to break into a coastal home with a single lady living in it. "" He opened his phone and showed her the picture of the said criminal.

He caught her just in time as she fell.  He didnt realise her husband did night shift and had a tatoo on his hand he had never met him in fact  no one had. Trudy had kept her husband a bit of a secret.  In fact he had kept his little antics a secret to Trudy too. 

© 2018 Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A interesting story. I liked how you made the character thoughts and action come alive to the reader. You create more questions for me and I wanted to read more. Is there going to be more? Thank you Julie for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

nah just a short story
thanks for your kind review
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Julie.
well julie when does the book come,this is great

Posted 5 Years Ago


Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

wow im honoured didnt think it was that good lol
 wordman

5 Years Ago

yeap,its good
This is a great story, especially if you say you rarely write stories! The ending twist was a complete surprise & I always love when that happens. Your story shows a familiar lifestyle with a ton of details to paint the scene & your characters (plus good dialogue). I have to laugh at how you convey the sense of fear, which is normal for most people, but I live in the boondocks & a person would never get any sleep if he/she worried like this about each little scary thing out in the wilderness! But thanks for reminding me how most people live! *smile* I hope you won’t wait too long before gracing us with another of your well-written stories (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

5 Years Ago

Wow thanks Margie
Thanks for your lovely review

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 2, 2018
Last Updated on June 2, 2018

Author

Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

Sydney , Australia



About
Amateur old poet well not that old but not a young 20 anymore I live to write I write at least five poems ditties every weekend and a few during week I write quickly it just flows and bu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..