The Vineyard

The Vineyard

A Chapter by jcarr48
"

Octavian and Cato are introduced, alongside their rival, general Caracalla

"

The vineyard was hot, and the grapes were sweet. Octavian had tried a few as he listened to his Father’s speech, plucking them from the vine while he sat, bored, under the shade of a roman pine tree. His cousin, Cato, lounged next to him, occasionally getting up to retrieve a handful of grapes before laying back again beside Octavian. 

“What’s it this time?” Cato asked, licking his fingers of grape juice.

“Who knows, besides him?” Octavian sighed, gesturing towards his father. 

The Emperor of Rome stood tall and proud beside the vineyard, speaking loudly to a large gathering of officials. A swathe of generals stood, huddled awkwardly together in their full battle regalia, to one side of the emperor, while on the other side a group of loyal senators. In front of the emperor stood the main audience, well-to-do nobles, including the family that so graciously offered their vineyard for the event.

“Another war, probably.” Cato didn’t bother to hide the disdain from his voice.
“Another war, certainly.” Octavian affirmed. “So now we must inform the good people, rally their good support, and of course-” Octavian paused, as if searching for the right words.

“And of course, accept their good donations.” Cato finished, causing them both to erupt with laughter. 

One of the generals, Caracalla, cast a scowl towards the boys, who he could see laughing in the distance. He loved the Emperor, and did what he could to accept the emperor’s son, but Caracalla knew weakness when he saw it and when Caracalla looked at Octavian he saw weakness. Octavian and Cato sneered back at Caracalla from across the vineyard. 

“Look at that ugly mug.” Cato spat. “The emperor’s war dogs get hungry when they haven't pillaged in a while.”

“Then they’ll starve under me.” Octavian declared “When I’m emperor they’ll starve before I let them incite another war.”
“Oh they know!” Cato laughed, “See the way they look at you? They know they’re in trouble. What you should do is marry Caracalla’s daughter, just to get a rise out of the old man.” 

“Alright,” Octavian grinned, folding his arms behind his head he laid back into the grass, closing his eyes “Or maybe I’ll marry her to you. You, her, and Caracalla can all share a home and live together as a happy family.” 

“No!” Cato shrieked, grabbing Octavian and playfully shaking him “No, I beg you!” 

“No, I’ll need you in Rome, cousin. When the time comes. I can’t trust anyone else.” 

“I know,” Cato leaned back, wiping his hands, still sticky with grape juice, on the grass. “I’ll be there.” 



© 2020 jcarr48


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

13 Views
Added on August 30, 2020
Last Updated on August 30, 2020
Tags: Emperor, Gladiator, Rome, Drama, Comedy, History, Action, Adventure, Historical