10 Years Later: Anniversary

10 Years Later: Anniversary

A Chapter by kafrinee
"

Merethyl wakes from a terrible dream about the tragic night that her parents died. Her best friend leaves the city and her mother has meetings all day. She is alone on the anniversary of the worst day

"

I crept slowly into the black smoke that replaced a bright, green, happy village. The dark smoke rose from the hot ash and floated upwards staining the bright blue sky. The burnt wood, grass, and building debris crunched underneath my feet as I slowly crept forward. Ashes floated in the air around her as I disturbed the ground around me. Dying fires littered the area around me, burning what was left of the dead village. Nothing was left. The buildings had long fallen, burned, and then had been burned again; the bodies of families and friends littered the streets, their red blood seeming to be bright on the circle of death I was in the middle of. Their faces would forever be sketched in my mind. The looks of horror that glued in their widened eyes, their mouths gaped in surprise, some tear stained faces. The children that I had grown up with that had died beside the protective arm of their mother. The fathers and protectors that braved death to protect the many families that had made their homes here.

I inched forward, my hands clasped together in front of my chest, tears streaming from my face involuntarily, my legs shivering slightly in fear, my breathing quick and shallow. I only had one thought driving me any further into this village. Only one. My mother. The mother who had cared for both my father and I no matter how sickly or frail I was.

I continued forward until I had reached the area my house had sat just hours ago. Just ahead would be the entrance where her father would have been to protect the people whose safety he was in charge of. Nervously, I walked a little quicker. The distance seemed to take forever, the path seeming to stretch on and on causing the feeling dread to sink further into my stomach. I began to feel as if I would never make it, until I saw two small figures in the distance standing and waving towards me. Essatri!” I screamed towards her. The figures grew gradually until I could finally make out my mother and her long blonde hair. Her smiling purple eyes and frail figure. My father stood beside her with his arm around her waist, his warm smile lighting his face up. His strong features made me feel safe and warm as I watched him. My pace quickened with my anxiousness to be in their warm embrace.  

I skidded to a halt when I saw the blood begin to soak the front of my father’s shirt. He began to turn pale, his body beginning to deteriorate until he was a skeleton with skin. My own heartbeat quickened with the fear and adrenaline that was running through my body. I watched in horror as my mother looked down at her husband casually, her happy expression melting into a neutral expression as she bent over him. I stumbled backwards a few steps before falling down on my butt, scared of the two figures that claimed to be my parents. I watched my mother stroke the side of my fathers face. Her face never moved, her expression remained unchanged. I observed her until a black shape appeared behind her. The shape approached quickly, the figure growing clearer by the second.

The cloaked figure stopped just behind my mother and walked around to her side. I watched him in horror as he pulled out a sword and raised it above his head. It was in that moment that my mother looked at me. Her mouth was gaped open as if she was screaming and her empty eyes were wide as they stared at me. A scream escaped my lips as I watched him swing the sword swiftly onto her neck. Her head bounced on the ground, rolling and bumping into my fathers body.

In an instant the cloaked man appeared in front of me. His face was blank. He had no eyes, no nose, and no mouth, but he clearly pointed his sword at my chest. He lifted the sword towards him slightly. Then in a swift clear motion, he shoved the sword through my chest. I grabbed at the sword in my chest, surprised and frightened. He squatted beside me and stared at me with his blank face as he grabbed the sword and prepared to shove it deeper into my chest.

 

 

I bolted upright in my bed, the colorful quilt bunching around my waist. My clothes and sheets were damp with sweat; a woman sat at my side her dark eyes filled with worry. I looked over at her, my heart pounding in my chest. Her usually tan skin was pale from the scare I had gone through; her dark, messy hair was up in a bun; and her strong, callused hands held onto my frail, weak hands. “Merethyl,” She said my name slowly, her usually commanding voice now soft and gentle.

“Kazumi,” I wiped the stray tears from my face and looked into her eyes as they flashed from worry to sadness. “Uh, sorry. Essatri.” Essatri was the elven word for mother. Majority of the kids called their mothers by this.

She pat the back of my hand and gave me a soft smile. “It’s okay, sweetie. Was it the dream again?”

I nodded, feeling the tears make their way into my eyes and the sob rise up my throat. “It’s getting close to the anniversary.”

Kazumi got up from her chair, “I’ll prepare something to eat while you wash up.”

I slid out of bed carefully, my feet touched the cold wooden floor. I removed my sweat-drenched pajamas before walking into the bathroom that was connected to my bedroom. I stood in front of the mirror that hanged on the bathroom wall and looked at my blurry reflection. My long blonde hair was tangled up on the back of my head, dark circles made their home under my eyes, my face stained with tears that had made their escape as I slept. I sighed as I looked at the blurry reflection in the mirror.

It had been 10 years since my parents death and the massacre at the village. I still remembered the day before it happened. How could I not? A wonderful day for an eight year old turned into their worst nightmare. I sighed and bent down to splash water on my face. You would think I would at least be over the nightmares, but they never failed to show up as it neared the anniversary.

I stepped into a tub filled with warm water Kazumi had already prepared and sat down. I leaned back, closing my eyes trying to forget the horrible dream. It hadn’t happened exactly like the dream, of course, but for an eight year old it might as well have happened like that.

I had always felt responsible for the death of the village…It had happened after we found that. It wasn’t but a small piece of paper, but the massacre had began almost immediately after. Well, maybe not immediately…It had panicked both of my parents. My dad left in a hurry and the entire town had begun to make its preparations. My mom, on the other hand, told me to prepare to go to my grandmothers.

And a child and their grandma were almost inseparable…at least that's how we used to be.

I sunk deeper into the tub as the terrible memories came forward into my mind. I had woken the next morning…My mother had carried me on her back all the way up  a mountain, but had left as soon as I had fallen asleep again. I panicked, afraid I had been abandoned until I saw the thick cloud of smoke. I ended up running all the way down a mountain and through the forest to find my mother…only to find both of my parents dead.

The sight…still haunted me to this day.

“Merethyl,” Kazumi knocked on the door, “I’ve put the food on the table. Come out to eat when you’re ready.”

 

 

I trudged through the living room. My wet hair soaked the clothing that covered my shoulders, my bare feet making a soft slap against the hard wooden floor. I looked around for a moment at the living room. In the middle of the room was a couch covered with a blanket that was made by Essatri’s mother. In front of the couch was a short, but long, dark wooden table. On top sat some odds and ends, stuff that Kazumi took with her to work during the day - and sometimes at night. Along the wall there was a cabinet that held things precious to her. Things that were handed down to her by her mother.

I had never known her mother. I guess, in a way, she would have been my grandmother, but she had died long before I had gotten here. From the looks of the things she had passed down to Essatri she had been a kind lady. She seemed to love to sew, seeing as all the blankets she owned were hand-stitched by her mother. The odds and ends she passed down were small statues of angels, her old sewing needles, and some hand crafted things no doubt by her own hand.

I sighed, as I turned towards the small kitchen area. The counters lined the walls, the cabinets below them the only storage areas in the kitchen, the small round table in the middle of the room covered with plates and food. Essatri stood in front of a pile of dishes scrubbing them clean. She cleaned when she felt stressed or worried. I plopped down in the chair, staring at her. “I’m fine, Essatri,” I lied to her. I hated it, but it was the only way I could think of to calm her down. I was still feeling the effects of the dream.

Calling Essatri by name and not by the elven word for mother. The groggy feeling as I attempted to wake up and start my day. The sadness and depression that came along with losing my parents. The scared feeling of walking through the burnt village. All of it…all over again…Every year… I stared down at the plate on the table feeling slightly empty inside. The plate was full of food Essatri had cooked for breakfast. It would get cold. I should eat it.

BAM! I jumped as I heard the front door hit against the wall. “Maaa!!” The large man walked in the door, tracking in dirt from his shoes. He threw down a sack by the door, it landed with a loud thud. “Merethyl!” I looked up at his face slowly, his red hair pulled back like it always was. I fought back the tears that formed when I saw his friendly, smiling face. “Breakfast!!” He sat in a chair next to me and pulled my plate over to him.

“Thats--” He looked at me, his mouth already full of food. “mine…”

“You weren’t eating it.” He took another large bite, already almost finishing what was there. “Today’s the day, right?” He reached his large arm over and wrapped it around my shoulders. He pulled me into a tight hug, my face engulfed by his large chest. Instinctively, I wrapped my own arms around him as I fought back the sob that rose in my throat. I wouldn’t cry in front of Essatri. I felt his face bury itself in my drying hair and heard him whisper, “It’ll be over before you know it.” I sat there for a long moment, soaking in the comfort that he was offering.

“Luthais!” I heard Essatri’s stern voice. We released each other to turn and look at her. She stood with her hand on her hip, waving a wooden spoon at us as she spoke. “The only reason you come here on this day is to flirt with my daughter and eat her food.” It was true, well not the flirting, but eating and coming here on this day every year. He did come on this day every year to comfort me. He knew of my past and troubles. He knew I had dreams. I had even told him every detail of the dreams.

“Maaaa” He pleaded with her. “You know it’s not like that.” He got up and slinked his way over to Kazumi. “I just wanted to see your beautiful face,” he wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on her shoulders. I watched him peer up through his lashes at my mothers glaring face.

She wiggled out of his grip, stepped away from him, and smacked him on the back of his leg. He leaped out of the way, rubbing his leg where she hit him. “You stop that and go back to work.” I could tell she was fighting a smile. She enjoyed his presence, but never wanted to admit it. He was nothing but a friendly teddy bear. A large, muscled teddy bear.

“Luthais,” He looked over at me, his smile almost fading, “are you harassing my mother?”

“Are you jealous?” He wiggled his eyebrows playfully. I shook my head, a smile forming as I pulled a clean plate over attempting to ignore any further comments. I filled the plate only halfway and listened to my mother as she shooed Luthais away.

Luthais finally gave in, backing up away from my mother. “All right, all right… I’m leaving.”

“I’m going to be away today. I’ve got some shipments to pick up outside the city.” I set my eyes on the plate as I absorbed the information Luthais was giving me. He was going to be gone. I felt Luthais grab my shoulder as he moved behind me. He squeezed it slightly as he said, “Will you be all right?” I stiffly turned my head and looked up at him to put on the best smile I could muster.

“It’ll be great. I’ve got so much to do that I wouldn’t even have time for anything else anyway.” I laughed, stuffing a fork full of food into my mouth as I fought back the tears. I wasn’t going to be fine today. I needed Luthais today more than any other day. He knew that. I knew that. Essatri knew that. She had even put everything she was doing down.

Maybe… I relied on him too much…

A tear trickled down my cheek as thoughts came crashing down on my mind. Not happy thoughts either. These were the thoughts that make you feel as if you’re annoying. As if you’re not as important as you believed you were to them. As if, really, you are replaceable. As if--

Two large arms interrupted my thoughts. I froze, surprised by the sudden action. Tears were still trickling down my cheeks, my eyes wide, my hands gripped tightly around my eating utensils. He had wrapped his arms around my shoulders only squeezing slightly as to not do any harm. A hug. It was only brief, but I could, at least, feel the support he was trying to give me.

He was by the door picking up the large sack he put down when he entered by the time I looked at him again. “Ma! I’ll be back this evening. Don’t miss me too much,” he winked at her and then exited the house. Mom ignored him, only scrubbed the dishes as if she were worried or avoiding something.

 

Luthais and I had been friends since I moved here. He was in a similar situation. He was an orphan that was also taken in by the city. The only difference is that he wasn’t really taken in by a family. He was taken in by a businessman who wanted him only for work. So, while he was my best friend, Kazumi was like a mother to him.

Luthais had always been there for me throughout the years. He had watched me cry and cry over my parents. He had heard the nightmares that I had every night has a child and even now. He was there for me in a way my mother never could.

My mother cared for me. She fed me, clothed me, gave me shelter. She kept me warm, gave me a love that no one else could. She watched over me nightly as I had nightmares. She fought anyone that tried to give me trouble.

Yet through all that I could never cry in front of her. I could never let her feel as if she had failed. I could never say to her that I still cared for my parents; that I still am not over the death of my parents. To let her down, to see that pain and sorrow in her eyes would not only kill her but also me.

That’s why Luthais could be there for me like my mother couldn’t. He could hear everything I couldn’t tell my mother. Nothing in this world could replace the two of them.

“Merethyl,” Kazumi’s voice broke through my thoughts. “Did you hear me?”

“Sorry, Essatri, I was lost in thought.” I looked at my plate. The food was still there, only now it was cold. Kazumi took the food from me and began to warm it up again. “Thanks, Essatri.”

“I’ve got to leave for work soon. I have a meeting with Andrdei and then some patrols to handle. Will you be okay until then?”

“Yeah, I’ve got some supplies to buy for the infirmary.” Kazumi placed the plate back on the table.

“Eat quickly and then go. The marketplace will be crowded soon and you don’t want to be caught in that. It can be dangerous for someone as frail as you.”

Okay, Essatri. Quit worrying and go. I promise to get you or Lu-- Uh…” He’s out of town. “I’ll get you or a warrior if there’s any trouble.” She nodded and yanked her belt off of a hook on the wall. She fastened it, gave me a peck on the forehead, and rushed out of the house.

 

 

I quickly turned the knob, yanking the door open. I grabbed the basket sitting by the door and rushed down the stairs. I heard the door slam shut behind me as I ran down the street towards the market. The market had opened up an hour ago. It would be busier than my mother would’ve liked, but, honestly, it didn’t bother that much. I enjoyed seeing the bustle of the city. It had a happiness about it that I couldn’t describe.

I looked around at the buildings. I’ve always loved our small area and how the buildings were created. They were made of the trees except we didn’t cut down or destroy the trees to build a house. The tree had limbs that branched out from its trunk, twisting and turning around themselves as they created the building. Each tree could have two buildings depending on their size.

The temple was made of two trees because of its size. My infirmary was made up of one, but that tree could only hold the infirmary. Majority of the small houses had two to each tree except for the High Priest’s home. We called him Andrdei. It was his title. Except now we had to be careful about the buildings. Some were beginning to get run down and unable to hold families.

I diverted my thoughts from those of the city and began to think of things I would need in the market. There were herbs I would need. Spring Bog Tree bark, Savory Emperors Leaf, Sage Pathosberry, and Sand Quarrellilly. I also needed some alcohol, bandages, cloth, needles, and some- “Oof!”

“Watch where you’re going, Juvenin.” I heard him spit out the word as if it were poison. I recognized the old grizzly voice, the ornate robes that drug the ground beneath him, the obnoxious wooden staff that he always held in his right hand. My heart pounded as I looked up at him slowly, afraid of the old man.

A-Andrdei!”



© 2017 kafrinee


Author's Note

kafrinee
Thanks for reading! Please feel free to tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 19, 2017
Last Updated on December 2, 2017
Tags: Merethyl, doctor, healer, Andrdei, Priest, Priestess, Forsaken, mother, Luthais, friend, best friend, anniversary, death, parents, love, friendship


Author

kafrinee
kafrinee

About
I'm a college student. I write as a hobby. I'm majoring in music. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by kafrinee


Followed Followed

A Chapter by kafrinee


Kidnapped Kidnapped

A Chapter by kafrinee