Brain Drain

Brain Drain

A Story by Kajal Gulabani

Refrain the drain and check out how much you gain...


One of my mom’s friends, Megha Aunty, is a super massive believer in astrology. Weary of her son’s career plans, she decided to try out city’s best known Pandit ji and get his horoscope pampered through pooja and most fresh red and yellow phoolon ki maalas (garlands). Soon after, pandit ji gives his verdict, “Apne bête ko Middle East bhej do”(send your son to the Middle East). I am not hitting at rituals here, rather trying to dissect the stint of human wavelengths (I guess this is the reason I totally went bonkers over the movie ‘Oh! My God’). Not only this, I experienced mercury soaring within me when I attended one of my cousin’s kitties. They are more of a ‘time consuming’ gatherings than ‘time utilizing’. Agreed! But the reason for my febrile nerve was something else. One lady accentuating her solitaire ring uttered, “I got my daughter engaged last week. The guy is an architect in California and putting up there all alone. They will work together and mint loads. What else do they need! She exclaimed”.


Yes, it is this Brain Drain issue which is taking a toll on the country. This stereotypical attitude of ‘minting more in abroad than in India’ and ‘astrological confines’ flabbergast me. One wonderful evening, there was this farewell ceremony going on where juniors were bidding adieu to their seniors in the college. Pals were discussing their future plans with one another and bragging on numerous ‘self- made’ beginnings. A science topper replied brushing her hair: “M gonna hit the seas across. Can’t imagine a career and such a grose life in India!” This statement widened many eyes and rolled their eye balls. Immigrating abroad has become a signature for most of us. This girl no sooner packed her bags and took a sigh of relief as if she was imprisoned in her own country (lol).


Where have the slogans ‘Mera Bharat Mahaan’ and ‘Jai Hind’ withered? Or is it that we Indians are playing along with our own nation just like our beloved neighbors on the world map? If yes, then why do we scream our hearts out even while sitting in Europe when India wins the World Cup?  Hypocrisy, is it??


The number of expat Indians is speeding up leading towards the downfall of our economic graph. It is not only the drained brains which we are gifting to our shaky nation, but, also the drained competence levels and hopes. Sigh! We all know this for sure that “Gardens are not made by sitting in the shade”. In spite of spilling anger on our country’s deficiencies, it’s high time we broaden our perception and BE the change we covet. I fail to analyze whether the youth is a boon for this developing country or only for population rise??? Indian talent is feeding other countries. How exactly would you feel if your child turns a back on you, especially when you are mentally or physically marred? Just as nothing is perfect, so is not our country. Either Brood or Resolve..Time for some food for our souls here! 

© 2013 Kajal Gulabani


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely written..thought-provoking..time to act..

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'm sorry your country is being drained like this.
The U.S. would rather import skilled, hard working Indians than try to train untalented and lazy people here.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 30, 2013
Last Updated on March 30, 2013

Author

Kajal Gulabani
Kajal Gulabani

Ahmedabad, Shilaj, India



Writing