A Single Grain of Rice

A Single Grain of Rice

A Story by Kate Wing
"

This was written in 2004 while I was in year 12. It was written for a short story competion with the theme 'rice'.

"

 

“But Sir, I think your comments are a little personal,” I stated with a straight face, trying to show that I was serious.
“Have a sense of humour about yourself girl. They are only jokes.”
He shook his head as if I was a disobedient child.
“I don’t think they are funny! If I thought they were funny I would laugh.”
I was fighting back the pain. I was concentrating on the pain. Sadly this meant that my temper was going unchecked.
“Everyone else laughs at the jokes,” he stated as if it was the obvious.
“Everyone else isn’t your target, I am!” I yelled with my voice changing pitch the way it does when I’m about to cry.
My hands were clenched into fists. I had to get out. I was going to hit him if I didn’t leave.
He had started to talk again but I couldn’t hear him past the thumping in my head. I swept my folder off the desk and walked straight out the door. I forced myself to walk at a normal pace, hold my head high and my shoulders straight. I wasn’t going to let him win. It wasn’t over.
 
The walls of the building rattled. The school buildings are so flimsy. I realised I shouldn’t have slammed the door.
“What was that? It sounded like an elephant just entered the room,” Miss Bryd comically asked as she walked out of her office. “Oh, it’s only Kate. Had another bad day, have you? What are you going to be cooking today?”
“Yes, I have had a bad day. I was thinking maybe some choc chip muffins,” I mumbled as I started to organise myself.
Miss Bryd is my Home Economics teacher. She realised back in year eight that I seem to de-stress when I cook. After I got into a lot of trouble in year nine, she suggested that I could always come and cook when I needed to. So I stood there and bitched to Miss Bryd while I cooked. I told her all about Mr Grey and our conversation. She sat there, watching and listening. Whenever I looked over at her, she was smiling and nodding. I stopped talking and Miss Bryd drew a breath.
“A single grain of rice can’t defeat hunger but a bowl of rice can be quite filling.” There they were - the great words of wisdom. There I was - talking about punching a teacher in the face and all she could talk about was rice.
 
I was sitting in the common room I had finally calmed down. Now all I could think of was what Miss Bryd had said. I was sure there was more to it. There had to be some hidden meaning. One grain of rice can’t stop hunger but a bowl of rice can. Maybe she meant that rice is very filling and also good for you. No, that can’t be it. I had to think outside the bubble I lived in. I couldn’t do it I wasn’t a lateral thinker. Instead, I decided that I would try to knock some sense into my head.
 
“What are you trying to do?” Elizabeth puzzled when she caught me hitting my head against the table.
“I’m trying to work out what something Miss Bryd said means,” I explained as I lifted my head from the table.
“Well, come on, tell me all about it. Maybe I can work it out,” She asked eagerly awaiting the challenge. 
I launched into a detailed explanation of everything. I started with Mr Grey and ended with Miss Bryd’s comment.
“A single grain of rice can’t defeat hunger but a bowl of rice can be quite filling,” Elizabeth repeated absent-minded as she mulled over the meaning. “A single grain of rice…”
I watched her so closely that I swear I could see the gears in her mind turning over. Suddenly her eyes flashed bright and she swung to face me. She could barely contain her excitement and fight back the smile as she explained it.
 
“Now class, turn your text books to page 96,” Mr Grey ordered as he entered the room. “Elizabeth, will you be quiet. I swear I have never seen you with your mouth closed. Kate, please take a seat. You are blocking my view of the class. If you get any thinner you will become transparent but you aren’t, so take a seat.”
There they were: the personal comments. Not even five minutes into the lesson and they had already started.
“Sir, I don’t think those personal comments are appropriate.” I stated as I stood up and faced him.
“I have told you before, girl. You have to have a sense of humour.”
He settled into his seat and leant back.
“I agree with Kate. Those comments are inappropriate.”
Elizabeth rose to her feet as she added her two cents worth.
Mr Grey dismissed our comments with a loud snort. He stretched his arms up and brought his hands back to rest behind his head with a smirk on his face. That was it I was so angry. I felt my fists clenching. I took a step towards Mr Grey. Something stopped me - someone’s hand was holding my shoulder. I glanced behind me. It had worked. The rest of the class was supporting us. The sight was amazing. They all stood there, their arms folded and their heads nodding in agreement. I nodded and turned back to face my enemy.
His eyes were darting around the room; sweat was appearing on his face. He was worried, he was defeated and he knew it. He slowly got to his feet. He stood there awhile with his hands on his hips as if he was going to stare us down. Finally, his arms fell to his sides; he gave a small nod of defeat and left the room.
 
A single grain of rice can’t defeat hunger but a bowl of rice can be quite filling.
After having Elizabeth translate it for me and then putting it into action I finally know what Miss Bryd was trying to tell me. I’m a single grain of rice. We are each a single grain of rice. We may not be able to do much on our own but together we can defeat out enemy. Each grain of rice is so small and seems so insignificant but rice is the source of nutrition and strength for so many countries around the world. I don’t know about you, but I am proud and willing to admit that I am a single grain of rice.

© 2008 Kate Wing


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on February 26, 2008
Last Updated on February 27, 2008

Author

Kate Wing
Kate Wing

DE, Australia



Writing
Consumed Consumed

A Story by Kate Wing


Waste Waste

A Story by Kate Wing