Crow Conference

Crow Conference

A Poem by Kathy Van Kurin

 Crow Conference

Set up a ruckus, crow conference. Passionate discussion! What is so important, bringing such angst?   I am simply a bystander in this crazy ear shattering debate tossed back and forth like a badminton game.  Marshland trees- of Alder, birch, oak and cottonwood- are their conference room.  They have come from far and wide.  Is it a judgment session, a family reunion, or feud?  Calls ring out in dark rasping vowels drifting in the wind and echoing through the canopy.


Was I invited to their meeting, set my toe through the door? They are unaware and mindless of their interruptions, as I proceed; in my own endeavors of respite and contemplation, reading and thinking. Where is my peace? They are shady peace thieves! Shall I Stay and wait?  Surly they must tire of arguments.


In a sudden roar of clapping beaks they rush skyward, rudely announcing themselves- spitting venom! Board room exits in black cloud-members en-mass. An unwanted few stay behind, wanting to continue unfinished business. Unwanted by me!


Feverish new meeting: The Process begins in earnest, an entertaining discussion by scant remaining few.  Just drop the subject! They cannot. Crow conference pulls at the departing to entertain themselves anew,as only crows can do. With a rising huff of cries they now flock, bristling and brushing through the air away.


Departing, they say their final goodbyes and drifting farewells; on, and on, and on.  Floating and flying overhead,like a cloud of black air crafts, one by one.  Finally my tormentors are gone. Will they return?  The peace settles. Solitude resumes, while my shattered nerves breathe a sigh of relief, in a new melody. I cling to a new inner, joyous and harmonious tune and smile.

                    

Kathy Van Kurin        December 2016                

© 2019 Kathy Van Kurin


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Crows cawing can be very annoying, but somehow you've woven it into a mini-drama including a nice sprinkling of "office" lingo that makes this personification playful & original. This is highly imaginative & I admire your wide-angle thinking as you watch the creatures around you! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Oh Margie,
Your take on this poem just tickled my heart! I am glad you got a kick out of this.. read more
barleygirl

6 Years Ago

You have such a beautiful spirit! Here's to watching it fly in the new year! *smile*


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Having crows in my back yard and the pleasures of watching them and their so called meetings and what nots I thought this piece was brilliant! I once watched them chase down a hawk for what I think was getting one of their young. Loud buggers they are! I love how you portray nature and all its beauty even when annoying you managed to make the money seem interesting! I could feel the anxiety they caused with their ruckus! Love your style and your voice! Great imagery and spin on a crowfest! Tabby

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Tabby Mac,
I am surprised at how familiar people are with crows and their behavior; a bird wi.. read more
LOL! ... I have been there and can relate to that of which your speak so well ... Not everything in nature is beautiful or wonderful ... Nicely done ...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Marvin, Thomas, Cox, Flynn,
Nature is sometimes a paradox; It pulls a person in because of it.. read more
Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn's Dark Tales & More Store

7 Years Ago

Nice to meet you Kathy ... And Yes, nature is a paradox ... As for me I possess an avid interest in .. read more
Such a wonderfully aware piece of writing! Seems you were swept up in that crow vortex, carried too deeply into their world, disturbed, distressed by their clamour and avian warfare.
' 'Calls ring out in dark rasping vowels drifting in the wind and echoing through the canopy '

Seems we humans have the hell, '.. they rush skyward rudely announcing themselves spitting venom! ' - along with the heaven when it comes to our flying buddies. Those glorious murmurations of starlings yet the crazy goings.on of the crows..

Fine writing, the brevity of phrasing so aptly applied, Kathy.. you have true skill, appreciating that less is more. (Do you give lessons?!)

Many thank yous for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Emmajoy,
This particular inspiration day was one of single crow voices gathered as one in a c.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Hmmm. Those pesky crows, huh? They just never know when to shut up!

Where I live, we don't really have crows. Rather, Magpies are the disturbers of the peace in this area. Endless crying calls and seriously dangerous attacks during their breeding season. A menace.

I enjoyed the idea of a crow conference. A very apt description of what they get up to. Peace reigns for now. But for how long? I sense another conference is due soon! :) A nice write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Doodley,
Pesky crows or pesky magpies; Yeeikes! Help us. Well, Amsterdam had a bird that look.. read more
A poem full of tension and intrigue! It reminds me, slightly, of Hitchcock's splendid film, "The Birds." No dramatic death present in this poem, but the drama is there. An entertaining write!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

kRobert Haigh,
Well what an informative, encouraging and just nice to hear review you have sh.. read more
Simply lovely. I love the last line. :) Julie

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Thanks Julie. Nice to hear from you and have a good week! Blessings to you. Kathy
I love the conversational tone of this poem, and in fact I'm inclined to call it a story or essay rather than a poem. The imagery is definitely poetic and the material is original. I'm glad that you ended on a positive note, that the crows brought joy and harmony. Very well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Jennie,
Nice to hear from you today and thanks for giving my crow tale a read. It was a fun.. read more
Kathy Hi. I was browsing WC and came upon this. I found it enchanting! If you read any reviews I've done elsewhere on WC you'll see that alongside genuine praise I'm prone to making grammatical observations ... well, yes, I could make a few suggestions here about random capital letters etc. But the more I read this, the more I thought, hey just chill. This beautifully places the reader under the trees alongside 'you' in pursuit of tranquility. The observations about crow behaviour, and the translation of this into human terms, really make the piece come to life. And they are noisy so-and-so's!!! I sense someone who is a genuine observer of nature.

Nice work!
Nigel

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Your review is so relaxed and just nice. Finding solitude is a treasure and I love how get that! I a.. read more
i like the crows and the sounds they bleat out, it has an outback feel of peace, away from human intervention. nice work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Andrew Mitchell,
Yes these birds are real brazen in their bleating; you got that right! "Blea.. read more
Beautiful narrative.
At times we want to be alone but these crows had a mind of their own.
Must have been wonderful when they finally flew away and left you to ponder on your thoughts.
Thoroughly enjoyable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

7 Years Ago

Shabeeh Haider,
You are so right! I was simply aching for the whole bunch to finally leave me.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1437 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 12, 2017
Last Updated on September 30, 2019

Author

Kathy Van Kurin
Kathy Van Kurin

OR



About
Everything in and about me has become materiel to ponder, analyze and find meaning and beauty. This life journey is all about revealing lessons many times hidden until dug up and planted then finding .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Search me... Search me...

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay


Take Me ~ Take Me ~

A Poem by Susan 🦋