Walk With Me

Walk With Me

A Story by Kathy Van Kurin
"

Thsnkful for love

"

Walk With Me

I remember walking with my mother, Betty Catherine (Wise) Case, through our beautiful snow clad neighborhood one night back in the early 70s. I couldn’t’ of been any older than fifteen- With the Street lights in the area where my family lived catching and revealing every big snowflake’s graceful descent. I was still in early high school or late junior high.  Mother has always tried to give some time to us, her five children’s lives as best she could. Sauntering with ease we crunched along through the snow feeling the softness under our boots. She remembered and spoke of her childhood and youth in northern Minnesota.  What a privileged gift these times together. Still the gift goes on one step at a time. She is still my mother whom walks along as best she can and sometimes I am allowed a place by her side.


Colors of laughter, conversations- layers of memories sometimes spill forth. More gifts for her sake she shares. Many as we drive down the road weekly when I come to pick her up in my car. She needs the exercise and I swim a few laps at the local aquatic center in Woodburn.  With shopping afterward for yarn, flannel, groceries, and an occasional prescription filled for my Dad. By the time we have lunch and make unexpected extra stops it seems amazing that we get back in time for mom to make her and Dad’s supper. But, for both her and me it is so good to get out and have a change of pace.

 If one were to ask my mom what she remembers as the greatest gift of her young life growing up it would be her one and only sibling, Beatrice Carol- Carol for short- born on Christmas day.  Now the hole in my mom’s heart is sad and happy at the same time. She has even called me Carol when at times speaking of her.


Mother and Aunt Carol grew up with great beauty in their lives, particularly the ability to sing. All throughout their schooling and church they sang in large and small choirs, choral groups and different churches all over the area where they grew up.  My mother told me recently that she sang the song, 'My God and I', for her school’s graduation ceremony back in 1951. She also remembered one of the boys she knew labeling her as, “the girl with the golden tonsils.'  A couple years back when going back to Minnesota for a family reunion I was able to meet my mother’s choir director and instructor who was in a nursing home. We both knew that she was not expected to live much longer being about one hundred years old, so being able to see her was so special. The lady knew who my mom was and it was very emotional. Mother and I sang her a song with many tears all around.


More gifts and colors have come forward from the past into the future within my mother’s life. Fabric laid out to sew clothes for her children when we were all home and growing up has processed into the present. Now my sister Lori and I meet in Salem at Joann’s fabrics when mom and I come into town where my sister lives. Mom needs a little help to pick out a good amount of baby flannel for baby blankets, burp clothes and the like. This is part of her personal mission now for the last many years. She donates the fruit of her hands to a pregnancy center, hospital, and to various other needs in the community.


If that were not enough she works on her Samaritan’s Purse Christmas shoe boxes every year and donates about fifteen all packed with goodies to sweet children in need to ring in the holidays. Any place we visit together is also opportunity to give away one of her gorgeous crocheted hats. Why not spread the joy? The homeless have been given McDonalds gift cards and lovely crocheted hats from my mum’s own hand.


Upon arrival back at the ranch we pick up the mail right at the entry corner of my folks drive. Then the chicken house we see at the end and stop. So much of the time a chicken or two is cruising about the coop and habitat. I have gotten good at luring them through the door by throwing corn out into a raised gravel spot. The next step is to gather the eggs; (between nine and fourteen,) bring them in and clean them up. This blessed gal loves the gift of giving. Yes, Mom does so much and we, her five grown kids know it.

 She and daddy need help but that’s what we’re here for. The end of this month we five will be having a yard and garden clean up party out at their place. My pop takes such satisfaction in his farm, gardens, and nursery being in tip top shape. So while it is today let’s love those our Holy God gives us. How do we measure value? It is found as a kernel within the opportunities we have to bless.

Kathy Van Kurin

March, 2019

© 2019 Kathy Van Kurin


Author's Note

Kathy Van Kurin
This may be lacking in information but it was done sort of quickly. Or maybe it is just right..

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lovely intimate details and snapshots of joy filled occasions in the light of bonding between daughter and mom. I can tell you and your siblings chrish your mom and think about her goodness towards you all and strangers. The gift that keeps giving is a wonderful testemant to her generosity and love for God.
What a blessing to have good, caring and loving parents. Brought the poet in you...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

5 Years Ago

Sami Khalill,
Your writing is a true example of details, for things which come from your pen .. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All true and wonderful dear. You are most welcome.



Reviews

"She donates the fruit of her hands to a pregnancy center, hospital, and to various other needs in the community."

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

5 Years Ago

My mama, Betty Catherine loves to give and she just is happy when feeling needed.
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All wonderful...
Lovely intimate details and snapshots of joy filled occasions in the light of bonding between daughter and mom. I can tell you and your siblings chrish your mom and think about her goodness towards you all and strangers. The gift that keeps giving is a wonderful testemant to her generosity and love for God.
What a blessing to have good, caring and loving parents. Brought the poet in you...

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

5 Years Ago

Sami Khalill,
Your writing is a true example of details, for things which come from your pen .. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

All true and wonderful dear. You are most welcome.
Above photograph is the baby of one of my sister's grown son's. This picture of my mother was taken two years ago.

Posted 5 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 26, 2019
Last Updated on March 26, 2019
Tags: mother, family, laughter, gift, beauty, sing

Author

Kathy Van Kurin
Kathy Van Kurin

OR



About
Everything in and about me has become materiel to ponder, analyze and find meaning and beauty. This life journey is all about revealing lessons many times hidden until dug up and planted then finding .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..