Stokes Croft

Stokes Croft

A Poem by Vanessa Whiteley
"

This poem is a companion piece to Garden for the Homeless

"

Puddles stitch the kerb 

as another man sits

on the car park steps. 

 

Flowerless now.

 

What is it about him

reminds me of Whitman?

Is it just the beard? 

 

One thought

            drifts to another

derelicts

seem to grow here

 

like leaves of grass  

between the paving slabs.

 

© 2008 Vanessa Whiteley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Him I get a kind of intentional confusion from this. You have a flowerless urban setting yet finish with leaves of grass coming through the pavement, and thoughts that make thoughts but get previous thoughts abandoned. It seems to have alot of contradiction in it to, because you have lots of mentions to growing, but with lots of urban planet kill type stuff(car parks, paving, ect.) Very interesting. I'll have to reread it a couple more times before I can determine what it means to me, but your goal is accomplished, because you've certainly got me thinking about this peice. Well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a beautiful poem. I love the simplicity and the images you've created with just a few words. Excellent work!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked how you put the reference to Walt Whitman along side the reference to derelicts.

What is it about him
reminds me of Whitman?
Is it just the beard?

derelicts
seem to grow here

like leaves of grass
between the paving slabs.

Very good write. Thank you for sending it to me


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wonderful - neat and succinct, the image is placed squarely in the mind with no excessive dramatics or over stating of the obvious - great work

i am in love with minmalizm and think its a far greater skill than the verbose poems and over exaggerated poetry (sometimes)
anyway, great read - i'd like to see more of this, companion pieces etc.
g

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

hmmm I find "J"s review interesting!
I'm diggin this poem :)
it seems to say a lot with only a few words, very special :)
I"ve been homeless myself so it also hits home...(long time ago)
I lived on the beach and slept in my car for a month or so in summer, it was sad and most of all I remember being hungry and watching people walk by like a dream.


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Maybe they are all wizards and it's their bus stop to London's or Liverpool's alley marts.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely beautiful. I don't think I can elaborate on Bj's review, so keep up the good work!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The simplicity of word choice and the short lines are very effective in this poem. It reads almost like we are hearing your thoughts aloud. I like the references to Whitman and his Leaves of Grass, but mostly, the idea of derelicts growing wildly, like untamed nature. It does seem that way now that I think of it, but I never thought of it before now.

Very cool (albeit sad) idea, and wonderful work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

What a perfect description of the poor condition of a large city's suburb! Poetic and yet clarifying.
Puddles stitch the kerb
as another man sits
on the car park steps.

Flowerless now. ======== I didn't read something so sad and descriptive for long time. My favorite lines! You did a great job on this poem. To have the sight for the considerable - this I call awareness.


Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Thanks to Doc Rogers for pointing out �Kerb� to me. Yes, there is a spelling difference. Kerb is how we in Britain designate the edge of a roadway or pavement. Whereas, I guess in America you use curb for the edge of a roadway or sidewalk.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

stanza 1
line 1 "kerb" to "curb" or is that a Brit vs Yank spelling difference? The Websters didn't help us out so well when it comes to writing the same language.

Very nice visuals communicated. You take the reader into the mind of the observer. The change up in form for stanza three helps to communicate the drifting thoughts. And the persistence of life in drap, lifeless walks of concrete.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing this.

Doc.


Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on February 8, 2008

Author

Vanessa Whiteley
Vanessa Whiteley

Bristol, England



About
Born in 1560 in Stratford-upon-Avon. I have a passion for writing but my parents wanted me to marry early. I ran away from home to see if I could make my fortune in London as my older brother had d.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Carry You Carry You

A Poem by Bubo