An Empty Chair

An Empty Chair

A Poem by Vanessa Whiteley

Sometimes she stands in silence, motionless,     

desolate in a dress of mournful black                                        

but now and then like a gentle caress                            

her face touches the glass pane, whilst the lack

of tears on her childish face mocks the rain                     

falling in an uncaring world outside                                

and a sorrow that’s still too new for pain                      

to show.  For in this brutal turning tide              

of history, it’s just an empty chair.                                

Once again she seems to see him, sitting                                   

fingers twining and brushing out her hair;                       

in the early mourning sunshine flirting.                

But for her love and laughter were too brief                  

and evening has come with this silent grief.                    

© 2008 Vanessa Whiteley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Emily has made it easy on me--that's almost exactly what I was thinking; it reads like an 18th-Century epitaph, with the same heartfelt yet somewhat restrained tone. The use of the sonnet form for this type of piece is a clever and aritistic touch. Well-crafted, touching, lovely piece of work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A sonnet. mourning sunhine flirting is an ironic addition

For in this brutal turning tide
of history, it's just an empty chair.

Our surroundings, the things present or not present tell a story. I thought the premise of the empty chair was a powerful image. Facts are worth many descriptions.

You are a trained, studied and dedicated poet. Though you do not strain to prove it. Natural expression, human and tender. Who am I to rate this poem? I can say that I like it very much.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This really moves me! Nicely written! -:3 )~~~

Posted 15 Years Ago


Love the sibilance, the time and rhyme. and the brutality of time tied to the constancy of tide. loss is well portrayed Ness and yes the sonnet form fits well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


The power of this vision you create for me lies in the symbolism: empty chair (emphasized by title), rain
falling, glass window, black dress.... sunshine & evening....

That the rain is falling outside and not from her eyes moves me....she is unable to feel her truth yet, overwhelmed perhaps, and If I see her this way, then her face touching the glass pane is even more intense.

Is the one missing, her father? I sense it might be, and yet there is some intimacy "fingers twining", and "mourning sunshine flirting"...yet "mourning" is perhaps what she is flirting with? There is so much intensity within this piece.

other stuff: In line two, the word "desolate" has already been shown, so seems unnecessary. It could read, "...motionless, in a dress of mournful black" and not lose anything, I think. "desolate" breaks up the repeated m's as well.

Also in line 5, the verb "mock", should be "mocks" to match the subject "lack" (not tears)....

I feel honored to have read this work.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The thing that really got me in this piece, was the tone. Felt as if the scene was there right in front of my eyes...and if i moved, the slightest sound would ruin everything. :)
Was a delight...Cares :)))

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the writing here has gathered the reader to the grippingly sad tale of loss of Love and the emptiness left inside with this ghost like child - this paints with subtle light and abiding reflection a deeper sorrow than grief can mend emblematic of the darkness of despair - every line here portends the next in this sighing story of grief - alluring writing with tears and laughter too brief - compellingly writ with a softness in it

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow Vanessa, I'm new to Writer's Cafe and this is the first I've read of your work. All I have to say is if this is a sample of your unpublished work I hope to see you in print soon.
I look forward to reading more.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Once again I am in awe... "the early mourning sunshine flirting" is genius. This is just a beautiful poem from start to finish and for me, flawless.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I'm guessing that your spin on 'mourning' is deliberate, if not it should be 'morning' I loved your beautifully gentle prose, it rolls nicely on the page and you created an atmosphere of grief that is not depressing...
Good work.
Cheers,
Helen :-)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Vanessa, this is so soft and gentle I smiled all the way to the end
"tears on her childish face mock the rain"
I can only see from this her pain that is deper than the forces that could render the crying of the sky.......

A most wonderful vision. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

866 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 21, 2008
Last Updated on May 27, 2008

Author

Vanessa Whiteley
Vanessa Whiteley

Bristol, England



About
Born in 1560 in Stratford-upon-Avon. I have a passion for writing but my parents wanted me to marry early. I ran away from home to see if I could make my fortune in London as my older brother had d.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..