Blossom of April

Blossom of April

A Poem by Vanessa Whiteley



 

 

 

Springtime: nature stirs, yawning, rubs away

the dust of winter sleep. April Showers

sprinkle seedlings that stretch up breaking clay  

toward Summer.  Morning rouses the flowers,   

greedy fledglings chirrup for worms.  Pink-lipped

magnolia buds form baby mouths.  And Sean

tries to stand erect.  With tiny frame tipped  

forward his chubby fingers clutch the dawn.

Weathered hands steady him as winter chills

fade. Rabbits emerge and small fish listen

as lakes unfreeze, rivers run again and hills

reach towards the sky.  Daffodils glisten.   

Sean smiles our world.  An April breeze sighs

and the future shines in his Irish eyes.   

© 2008 Vanessa Whiteley


Author's Note

Vanessa Whiteley
This is an old poem. I wrote a couple of years ago and have revised quite a bit - hence it's being slightly out of season. It is a little more sentimental than I normally get - perhaps a little too much?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thoughtit was just right. You can put good touch to a poem. I will want to read more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I thoughtit was just right. You can put good ouch to a poem. I will want to read more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Well now, not too sentimental I think. But touching as usual. This piece has the poets perception
as is an artist's eye. When you penned this thought you were, it seems, standing between the
the moving elements of time as you created the illusion of it standing still, for those who have read this to clearly see its meaning. Nice Vanessa!


Posted 16 Years Ago


Vanessa, I just bought a new house last fall. It has a huge yard, and I haven't been so eager for Spring since my senior year. This poem just got me even more fired up for the spring!!!

Anyway, I really like the poem on the whole. Conventionally, I love the mid-lines pauses that all of the periods create. The succinct thoughts convey a sense of contemplation on the narrators part, as if the writer was sitting on a park bench making observations. The poem comes across like a mosaic in that way. Each line is vivd and colorful, and offers just a clue to the final picture. I could pick out a dozen lines in this piece that strike me, but none are more impactful than the rest. They are more like an army of thoughts marching to a victorius end!

I think I just got carried away there, but it's what I was feeling.

There are a few things that I might consider amending (and this from a guy that HATES revision). First, I don't like the fact that you use "unfolds" twice. In fact, I feel that word is very cliche in "spring" poems. I would also try to get the word "new" out of the poem. Not being mean Vanessa, but a 6th grader would definitely use both of those words in a poem about Spring. And part of the reason that I really think the rest of the poem works so well is the freshness of the lines, i.e: breaking clay toward summer, buds forming baby mouths, the April breeze sighing. On a last not about word choice, I think it was key to use "unfreeze" as opposed to "thaw". Good Choice.

I also had the same thought as Mark Pearce about the exposition of the baby's age. A tipping frame, chubby fingers, and "trying" to stand erect are all great clues. I think it just goes over the top with the line, "He was born when the leaves grew old". I think it may just be the unpoetic nature of the words, "he was born..."

Lastly, I would love to see this poem be the inspiration for a Seasonal Quartet. Meaning, I thinks it's just waiting to be joined by a "Winter", "Summer" and "Autumn" poem. If written in the same style, ryhthm, and length, it could make a long powerful, piece.

Nice Job, Vanessa.

Stiver


Posted 16 Years Ago


It seems to be completely different than your usual writes. Maybe it's the form. Never too sentimental. Especially when talking about beautiful Irish eyes. Thanks for sending this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I don't find this over sentimental, in fact I find it quite beautiful. I really feel the whole awakening of spring going on here with the images you describe so well. It's delicate, quite lovely.

Sean smiles our world. An April breeze sighs
and the future shines in his Irish eyes.


Posted 16 Years Ago


- Springing to our eyes with allusions that promise growth and energy is like a sympathetic magic with words when well writ and therefore timeless in their import - here Sean and Daffy's in April and magnolia buds and showers all gather the reader to Springs stirring, stirring in the reader a Spring rubbing away the sleepy dust of Winter - we can become anything we want to with the right words and here I felt the Spring -

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the sudden introduction and the contrasting element provided by the child.

I think I would try to find a more poetic way of introducing the child's age though. That line seemed overly expositional when it should be, somehow, an intriguing discovery.

.......................

Pos edit comment -- Yes. I think that maintains the mood and flow of the work.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

549 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 22, 2008
Last Updated on March 1, 2008

Author

Vanessa Whiteley
Vanessa Whiteley

Bristol, England



About
Born in 1560 in Stratford-upon-Avon. I have a passion for writing but my parents wanted me to marry early. I ran away from home to see if I could make my fortune in London as my older brother had d.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..