Painting Clouds

Painting Clouds

A Poem by Vanessa Whiteley

 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
Between cloud bursts builders give my flat
a face lift; scars filled in, that wall greyed
with smog and dry rot is retouched to a white
that mixes with the rain and drizzles down
the walls to form puddles on the concrete floor. 
 
While down the road the people of Stokes Croft
are painting too. The over sixties and the under
tens, students and labourers, some with homes
– others without – chat over cups of tea and
slices of cake. Old wooden doors animate
 
and bud beneath their fingers. Wildflowers 
bloom here and deer graze on canvas in an
outcast building in Jamica Street where there
are no flowers , only different kinds of weed
 
and half-starved grey pigeons peck amongst
the refuse of the day. But in this room ships
set sail from isles of colour and cityscapes
emerge where dark, storm clouds threaten. 
 
One man's eyes seem to tell of years spent
sitting on street corners.  His voice echoes 
with the deepness of underpasses  but his
brush transforms the canvas. He paints
the town red – and has an artists vision.
 
 
 

© 2009 Vanessa Whiteley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved that poem. You are one damn fine poet. Your insides must be lined with goldleaf sheets of ancient poets.

Even more seriously, a great poet reflects our life experience. You often take the mundane and show us its true value or greater meaning. You have the gift of making us take another look. Doing so we find more value and worth sitting right at hand.

Thanks.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your final sentence encompasses every thing else and majestically" What a superb piece of writing, a chain of minatures colouring the actions and people within them. Love the listing of 'Wildflowers bloom here and deer graze on canvas ... only different kinds of weed ... and half-starved grey pigeons peck amongst the refuse of the day.'

Your phrasing, your thoughts truly are exceptional. This is both heartfelt and technically extraordinary.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I miss you

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
It's nice to read you again, Ness. And after all these years, we all seem to grow into our own voice -- which you show me here. It's wonderful to see, to read, and to feel, most of all.

Concise, emotive, a true palette to think over.
J

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love seeing art in this way..

Each line is rich in color and sound.
Wonderfully done!

~SilentDream

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is now my favorite verse

One man's eyes seem to tell of years spent sitting on street corners. His voice echoes with the deepness of underpasses but his brush transforms the canvas. He paints the town red � and has an artists vision.

Quite loving and gentle.

Posted 14 Years Ago


That brush and your familiarity with Stokes Croft brought this to life. I looked at the picture last and could almost swirl the loaded brush. Well painted Ness, well painted indeed!

Posted 14 Years Ago


The imagery in this piece is phe-nom-e-nal.

Art is infinite, and you capture that with your style.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Absorbing lines, genuine poetry with all your metaphors and the red town metaphor what might it mean? A fighting town or a town in love.... it could be everything. I loved this, I loved this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like your updates. This part sung to me

and bud beneath their fingers. Wildflowers bloom here and deer graze on canvas in an outcast building in Jamica Street where there are no flowers , only different kinds of weed and half-starved grey pigeons peck amongst the refuse of the day. But in this room ships set sail from isles of colour and cityscapes emerge where dark, storm clouds threaten.

Great work of contrasting bleak and color. I really pictured that.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved that poem. You are one damn fine poet. Your insides must be lined with goldleaf sheets of ancient poets.

Even more seriously, a great poet reflects our life experience. You often take the mundane and show us its true value or greater meaning. You have the gift of making us take another look. Doing so we find more value and worth sitting right at hand.

Thanks.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

948 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 18, 2009
Last Updated on May 19, 2009

Author

Vanessa Whiteley
Vanessa Whiteley

Bristol, England



About
Born in 1560 in Stratford-upon-Avon. I have a passion for writing but my parents wanted me to marry early. I ran away from home to see if I could make my fortune in London as my older brother had d.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..