Sealed with a kiss- Introduction

Sealed with a kiss- Introduction

A Chapter by Katarzyna Slade

Introduction


Life. You are born, you exist and we all follow the same undeniable end. A timeless,never ending yet short cycle. Our ending is the only sure thing, the only predictable outcome. It's terrible and inevitable.  The feared, black, eternal nothing, irreversible and incurable. But... What if you could live forever? Would it really be as wonderful as one would perceive? Would it set you free to cut the ropes of vincibilty? Unfortunately i have been cursed to endure this such terrible pain, and from that i have created the pages of my tale. At the end of this story all I have are my memories, vivid as ever and sharp as a knife, each memory wounding. Still I reminisce, using my thoughts like self harmer.  Eternal life is a sentence to a constant lingering loneliness. Two hundred years i have been living as a statue, never changing,  never being able to move forwards. Everyone i have ever loved or cared for has been taken away from me, I can not conceive or befriend. I have been cursed into the shadows, my only companions are my regrets and heart ache's.  Immortality, after two century's I know it's worth. 

Behind the glossy panes of the grand drawing room windows, a terrific and mighty storm had struck. Thunder crashed in the sunless sky like an orchestra and lightning penetrated the ground with a brilliant white flash. The wind howled menacingly like a wild dog whilst it struck upon the bald tree's with a menacing force that violently snapped them back and forth. It was a perfectly fitting scene for the events that were about to occur. 
I had finished my daily duties as a house servant in the grand Rosemary Manor. I sat myself by the large inviting fire, staring absent mindedly into the Storm that entertainingly flashing through the windows. My thought's wandered to my growing concern for my Master. Lord Valentine, he was a kind and fair master and i was lucky to be serving him, not many masters where as gentle as him. And none that I knew,  were grateful as he. My Lord was a lover of nature and an admirer of adventure. He loved the outdoors, fishing, hunting and riding. It made him feel free. His tales of travelling amused me for hours, how he would frolic with pretty women and how he overcame and braved against turbulence and villains. He recited his tales to me almost every night  as i sat child like listening intent with awe, and as he retold his many adventures a sparkle in his eye longed for excitement. However lately he hadn't been the same man. He'd become so reserved it was as if he was hiding. He denied guests and refused to attend his many invitations. I worried for him so. 
Lord Valentine was the closest I'd ever had to family. He took me in, gave me a place to stay, even though I had nothing to offer in return, and somewhere in-between polishing silver and serving his many dinner parties i came to love the old, eccentric man 
A fortnight before the storm blew in was when my fret began. I had completed my duties, the hour was late and i was on my way to my bedroom when I heard shuffling and mumbling. Which I found odd as Lord Valentine had taken to bed hours before, it was rather unlike him to be up past midnight. I followed the noises through to the drawing room. Lord Valentine appeared frantic, drawers were pulled out and boxes tipped spreading their contents across the marble floor. 
"Where is it? Where is it?" He repeated with a determined uneasiness. maybe even borderline fear. I quietly stepped into the exquisite room uneasy, "my Lord" , I pried timidly. He looked towards me sharply and snapped ordering me to take to bed. I'd seen him angry before, I'd seen him annoyed but he'd never looked at me the way he just did. His once vibrant blue eyes, gave me a look that told me to keep out, keep away, it's not my business or business that I would want to be involved in.  I quailed along to my room feeling like a guilty infant scorned by there parents. As morning came I'd brushed it off but as days passed it felt like I was serving a totally different man. He rarely left the confines of his office and barely spoke more than a sentance. His growing apprehension fed my concern.
With three heavy, concise knocks my thoughts were startled away. I travelled my way down the long, grande hallway portraying tales of my master in fancy portraits painted richly. I wrenched open the heavy door inviting in the ghastly wind, wondering who would be visiting at such a time. 
Before me poised a dark and bizarre handsome stranger. His appearance startled me, I'd never before seen this man yet he had a face I recognised, as if I'd met him in a dream. He did indeed appear dream like.
"Lord Valentine is expecting me", his voice was husky and aired importance and seemed to have an enthralling effect. I signed with my hand for him to follow on. Confusion filled my thoughts. Who was this beautiful, mysterious man? He had travelled through this treacherous weather, past midnight. What could possibly be this strangers intentions? I followed on forward to notify my master of his late night visitor but the peculiar man passed on his own authority and headed straight for the Lord's office. Curious i crept behind, pacing my steps as carefully as possible trying to go as unnoticed as possible. I caught them in mid conversation which sounded forced and uncomfortable. "Remember the deal?" The strangers voice questioned. 
"Yes... yes of course", my master replied with a great deal of distaste in his voice."How could i forget".
 "I'm sorry my Lord", paused the stranger, "but you knew of the consequences", he delayed once more, "I did warn you", the mysterious male voice sounded threatening yet remorseful. Millions of questions jumped into my mind, I concentrated hard on trying to silent them intent on listening in to the awkward conversation. "I'm here to collect", the man began, then, i heard footsteps shuffling toward the door. I got out of sight before a squeak let rip from the door and candle light filled the hallway. I eared the man bid farewell followed by heavy footsteps against the wooden floor carry out the front door. My affliction and concern waded me to confront my master, I had a foreboding feeling. I felt as if my master was in trouble. I needed to know if my own imagination was causing me this woe, if I was just being paranoid.

 I sat myself by the drawing room fire as I took time to plan my approach, My thoughts turned to the time when he aided me, when he took me in. 
My father had passed and my mother had died when she gave birth to me. I was only a young girl, barely eight. I was left alone. I had no living relatives. I was surviving on my own, stealing what I could, sleeping any where  i found dry. I was barely surviving. Then one autumn night I found a majestic mansion. It was enormous and beautiful with a large garden decorated with pretty colourful flowers. I could spy from the front gate that there were eggs and milk out side the front door. I could barely remember the last time I had ate and I had been on the road for near two days. My stomach rumbled and the sight of the food reminded me just how hungry I felt. I sneaked to the front door and snatched at the dairy. Just as my hands clasped the door opened and before me stood Lord Valentine. I had never been so frightened. I thought to myself that I was really in for it. Instant images of boarding homes entered my mind, I was most definitely in for it. He looked down at me, and instead of anger i saw kind, crinkled eyes that looked at me with sorrow. The man didn't start shouting, he offered me in. He fed and watered me, gave me a change of clothes and allowed me to bathe. And since that day I've never left. He gave me shelter and in turn I cared for him through the years. He became almost like a father, i counselled in him my troubles and dreams. He shouldered my tears and shared my smiles.


I awoke late the next morning with a start. Lost in my thought's and the warmth of the fire I unknowingly slipped into slumber. The storm had passed but it was still grey and miserable, you could smell the damp of the grass in the air.I decided to give him a call. I felt it, as soon as I reached his door, I felt that something wasn't right. Butterfly's in my stomach, I gripped the gold plated handle. Twisting it twisted and turned my stomach more. I felt sick. Opening the door I realised my worst fear. My master lay there appearing to be in slumber. His face a pale white, his lips blue. Limp he lay sprawled across the four poster. The sick feeling rose to my throat as I neared his bedside and felt his pulse. There was none. I stood in shock for a moment before my shrill screams filled the manor. My father like master lay dead before me. I grabbed at him, shaking him as if to bring him round, his lifeless body flinging from side to side. I closed my eyes forcefully and reopened as if to try and wake myself from a dream. I done it again and again. I wouldn't wake up. "Please, Please" I begged myself.  I was trembling so much I fell to my knees hovering over his body as my tears flooded my face and stung my rosy cheeks. I heaved and spluttered unable to catch my breath. I screamed again, high pitched and as loud as I could manage.  I screamed this time for help. "Please, someone" I begged my voice feeling hoarse and weak. No one was coming. Why? 
"Someone, anyone please!" I pleaded screaming still.


© 2018 Katarzyna Slade


Author's Note

Katarzyna Slade
This is only an introduction, constructive criticism please

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really enjoyed it :) mystery of it and all I hope you add more soon! Only thing I could think of is at the very end when she is talking:

"Please, someone" I begged my voice feeling hoarse and weak. No one was coming. Why?
"Someone, anyone please" I pleaded screaming still.

Add "!" at the end of each of the two times she talks in quotation here, that way it matches with the way you portray the shouting and screaming her voice is supposed to be doing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


[random review] Well, this is a quaint olde-tyme tale, and takes place in a mansion just as I had envisioned. I love the beginning as it waxes philosophical though I am odd that way; for most this introspect might be a turn off. Consider running this through a spell checker and adjust the font up one size, adjust spacing between paragraphs... and the reason I'm so picky about that is because this is such good writing and you don't want to undermine it with an ill choice of presentation. Excellent work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this. Constructively, I am unable to give a good review or advice, because I am not a good story teller. however I found it to be enjoyable

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have some real talent there. It kept me wanting to read more , many questions are shown with I'm sure many answers will be revealed in the coming chapters.

I've written stories too , mostly in Sci-Fi and a pilot of a country tail but nothing yet in this type of writing.

Keep going , its enthrulling and specially the chapter feels like a secret will be revealed and I love everything about the chapter and I can't wait to read more about the Lord.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


Love the description, it's a great start, nice write:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have pretty thoughts. Eagerly waiting for more :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


I don't review many stories but from what I can tell it's going good so far...
You have used imagery, punctuation, rhetorical questions and enough detail to have an impactful introduction. The beginning of a story is what's meant to be the most captivating part because it's usually what makes the reader eager to keep on reading and I think that because you have mentioned immortality and the use of the rhetorical questions make the reader wonder why is this person immortal, how did it come about or is this another vampire story? I guess we will have to wait...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

622 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2012
Last Updated on March 30, 2018


Author

Katarzyna Slade
Katarzyna Slade

Essex, England, United Kingdom



About
Facebook : Katarzyna Kate Slade Instagram: pretty_lies_ugly_truth more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..