Oedipus Rex Topic

Oedipus Rex Topic

A Story by Kat

I'm supposed to be writing an english paper and i'm having a really hard time.

 

If anyone's read or seen the play Oedipus Rex, could you maybe help me??

 

Our prompt...

 

"The most famous doctrine associated with Socrates is that virtue is knowlege. Socrates held that one could not be virtuous without first knowing what virtue is. Once one has attained the knowledge of virture, one cannot help but be virtuous since no one does wrong voluntarily. Socrates believed that knowledge was attainable, but in his view the only real knowledge is that which the student attains himself, with the active use of his own mind." That said, what owuld Socrates have thought of Oedipus? Are there any decisions/actions of his that Socrates would have found reprehensible? Any he would have found laudatory? Select three actions/decisions and expound on them.

 

Its tough, i'm having a hard time. help would be hugelyyy appreciated!!

© 2011 Kat


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's been awhile since I've read Oedipus, but I'd start with the quote, "Socrates held that one could not be virtuous without first knowing what virtue is..." and tie it into the idea that real knowledge comes from active use of the mind.

In other words, at some point did Oedipus discover what virtue is through his actions or thoughts? And then based on that knowledge did he act virtuously?

Once you decide whether he was a virtuous character or not you can pick out three actions that support your thesis.

Write yourself a simple and to-the-point thesis. Like "Oedipus was a virtuous character because of (X action). He showed his virtue through (1), (2), and (3).
That gives you a structure for 3 paragraphs, and every time you think you're losing your thought process, just remember to tie every point back to the thesis.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
1 Review
Added on October 18, 2011
Last Updated on November 2, 2011

Author

Kat
Kat

PA



About
My name is Kat, and I'm seventeen. I would describe myself as artsy. I love listening to music, reading, drawing, painting, and of course, writing! I'm taking this as an opportunity to expand my knowl.. more..

Writing
Noticing You Noticing You

A Poem by Kat


unknown unknown

A Story by Kat