THE MUMMIES of KENTUCKY

THE MUMMIES of KENTUCKY

A Story by John Braswell
"

Mummies found in the Mammouth Cave and how they might have gotten there.

"








THE MUMMIES of KENTUCKY



Mummies in Kentucky? When I think of mummies, my mind automatically goes to Egypt, pyramids, camels, and sandy deserts. It's a bit of a stretch for me to realistically consider the rock-covered hills of Kentucky as a good place to find a mummy. However, in the many underground miles of the Mammoth Cave System, there have been a number of mummies discovered. It is believed these people were the ancient ancestors of Native American Indians that died while in the cave and then were naturally mummified by the cool dry air. The Most famous of these was discovered in 1811 and named Fawn Hoof. But who were they and why were they that far back in the cave?

________________________________________________________________


In the centuries before the white man explored what is now Kentucky and discovered the Mammoth Cave, there was a small clan of people living in the natural comfort of the cave entrance. They had been there for almost a year and considered it their home. There was plenty of food close by, and lots of water, as well as the raw materials needed for their simple lifestyle. They mined the chert-balls for making their tools, gypsum for their paint, and the mirabilite for medicine. They explored over two miles of the huge cave and were familiar with all it had to offer. Using torches made from the reeds that grew along the nearby river, they were able to go deep into the dark womb of Mother Earth and retrieve the things that the Creator had put there for them to use.

As was normal for him, fifteen-year-old Arawaken lit his torch at the campfire, nodded at his woman and child, and left for his usual routine of looking for chert. It was his responsibility to supply enough of the gray stone for everyone in the camp. He had been doing this for almost a year and up until today nothing very exciting or interesting had ever happened. Today however, would prove to be very different.

Arawaken moved silently through the darkness of the cave letting his reed torch light his steps. The smoke from the torch left another layer of black on the cave ceiling, which in later years would be the only sign of his passing. As he walked through the tunnel, his mind and eyes were fine-tuned to the job he was doing. He was looking for chert and that was all. He was not looking for any new discoveries, nor did he wish to find any.

After less than one hour, the torch he was using had burned dangerously low so he stopped to light another. With the new torch lit, he pitched the burnt one onto the stone floor of the cave and started to proceed on his quest for chert. When the old torch hit the rocky floor, sparks flew in all directions, some of which illuminated the wall closest to him. Arawaken noticed something white protruding from behind some fallen rocks near the wall. He had spent enough time in the cave to know that this white thing wasn�t a part of the normal things seen in this cave.

Not unlike most young men his age, the sense of adventure, coupled with curiosity, compelled Arawaken to investigate the new finding. Holding his torch high and moving carefully, he maneuvered himself around the fallen rocks to get a closer look. He found that the white thing might be a horn or bone of an animal that he wasn�t familiar with. With his mind whirling and his heart pounding, he began uncovering the white mystery that lay beneath the rocks.

After two hours of hard work, Arawaken had enough of the mystery visible to know positively that he didn�t know what he had found. The small white thing that had first gotten his attention had now turned into the largest strangest thing he had ever seen, attached to a skull equally as large and bizarre. Arawaken had heard stories of giant creatures that had lived long ago, but until now, they had been just stories. The size of the newfound skull left little doubt that he had discovered the remains of the giant story-creature. Arawaken realized that it would take him many more hours to completely uncover the bones, and he also knew that the reed torches he had brought wouldn�t last that long. He had no other choice but to leave his find and return later with help.

When Arawaken emerged from the darkness of the cave, an elder who was waiting for the chert that the young man was supposed to bring out greeted him. When the older man saw that Arawaken had none of the gray rock his eyes dropped and his heart was heavy. The elder immediately assumed that the young man had gone into the cave and fallen asleep. Arawaken knew what the elder was thinking and excitedly began telling about his new discovery. The more Arawaken told of what he had found, the more the older man backed up, until the elder stood several feet away from Arawaken.

When his excitement had diminished somewhat, Arawaken looked around and saw that he had drawn a rather large crowd of onlookers. Taking one-step toward the crowd, he was puzzled at their response of taking two steps back away from him. Arawaken had always been well liked and respected by the other members of his clan and didn�t understand or like this new treatment. He was the same now as he had been before finding the bones of the story creature; nothing had changed; at least not within himself. Arawaken tried to tell the others they had no reason to fear him, but his own woman wouldn�t let him get near her or their child. Holding their baby close to her, she backed away from him with fear showing in her eyes. Finally, Arawaken gave up and sat on a large rock to await the return of the other men. Maybe they wouldn�t be afraid of the bones, or of him, and maybe even help him recover the remains of the story creature. All he could do now was wait.

While waiting, Arawaken tried to remember the stories he had heard about the giant creature. It had been called ma-mo-thee, meaning big nose, and it was said to have two giant white spears, bigger than a man, growing from its head. Arawaken thought for a moment about what he had found and remembered the small white thing, that when uncovered, had turned into a very large white thing. He also remembered something else; something that sent a shiver up his spine and made his skin feel cold and clammy. Arawaken understood now why everyone was afraid of him, and he didn�t blame them. According to the stories he had heard, the creature�s spirit would enter his body and take over everything about him, including his own spirit. The creature would then make him kill anyone that came near him until there was nobody left and then he would kill himself. Arawaken sat on the large rock with his legs drawn up tight against his chest and his head resting on his knees thinking, just thinking.

Shortly before darkness covered the hills surrounding the cave, the other men started filtering into the camp. They had been hunting, fishing, or gathering the gifts that the Creator had bestowed on the land for them. As each group returned, they were told of Arawaken�s discovery, and they kept their distance from him as though he had an illness that was contagious. Every time Arawaken attempted to talk to one of the men, they would back away from him. His woman had fixed food for him, but left it on a flat stone near the entrance of the cave. Arawaken understood the meaning of this action and was even more upset by it than being treated badly by the other men.
        
That night Arawaken slept alone where his food had been left. He had time to think about the way his life had been and the way he knew it would be from now on. Before the morning sun was fully up, he understood what he must do; rebury the story-creature and then protect the clan from the creature�s spirit.

Going past the other people that were already up, Arawaken went down the trail leading to the river where the red dye-berries grew in abundance. It took only a short time to get to the berry-bush and even less time to pick a handful of the beautiful red fruit. Arawaken knew that he was picking a very strong poison, and knew that he wouldn�t need many. Going back to the cave entrance, he grabbed a handful of reed torches and calmly entered the womb of his Mother Earth. He had no fear, but knew what must be done, and knew that he would never return.


Centuries later, Arawaken's mummified body would be found entombed with the skeleton of a giant mammoth and displayed as a treasure. The skeletal remains of a woman and baby would also be found near the entrance. It is romantically theorized they had died waiting for his return.

There is no evidence of any people inhabiting the area after this group had gone.


John Braswell

© 2008 John Braswell


Author's Note

John Braswell
Have fun with this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting story, but I had a difficult time figuring out what part was real history and what was fiction, besides the characters. It's hard to believe a mammoth would have wandered deep into the cave, but maybe true as far as I know. The characters weren't very fleshed out, but since this was a short story that's OK.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I loved this, and whether the old Indian lore's are true, the unknown can be very scary. But I watched one of those ghost stories about a creature roaming the hills of Kentucky. I wonder if they ever did run across a creature, would they kill it? There is so much of the past we will never really know too.

Posted 14 Years Ago


this was very informative and well thought out. you presented it very well. i actually stopped at mammoth cave and took a tour one time when i was rooting around the country....so i really liked it

Posted 16 Years Ago


I loved it! I love Mammoth Cave too. I love your story-telling style...twists and turns and things that make you go "hhmmm..."!

Posted 16 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ady
This was an exceptionally interesting read. Thank you for posting it!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Hi John, this was a fun read. I grew up on the Ohio river just North of the KY border and visited Mammoth cave a couple of times and though I remember it being the largest cave system in the world I never knew about the mummies. FANTASTIC!! So much for all those digs I went on with my mom and the Cincinnati Museum as a kid. Goes to show you can always learn something new. I love that.
What a wonderful tale to explain the possible reason for the mummies at Mammoth. I note you've bothered to keep true to the facts of the area; the history; the geology; and what feels like would be precolumbian pre- Athabaskan folklore with wording that sounds appropriate to the piece and time.

I think there may be places you could flesh out your tale. I say this a bit don't I? Possibly add more to Arawaken's discovery in the cave; a few minor details perhaps such as the type of torch reed (here in CO it would have been Yucca in KY ???) Did he emerge with any cuts or scratches from digging at the skeleton where the spirit may have entered him? Also maybe a bit more about the tale of the ma-mo-thee and how it got its reputation.
Its a great folktale you've got and as always your work is a pleasure to read

Posted 16 Years Ago


I love reading stories where I learn new things... I think it's an understated realm of writing. So many people are caught up in shock value, comedy, and whatever else. But this story is great. I'm from KY and never knew such information!

You excelled in describing Arawaken's surroundings. And I loved the ending too.

It was pleasure reading it!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2008

Author

John Braswell
John Braswell

Bloomington, IL



About
John Braswell's first young adult novel, Coop, What if the South had won the Civil War? was released in 2001 and his second young adult novel, The Other Side of the Mountain, a Native American story, .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..