A Lesson Learned

A Lesson Learned

A Story by John Braswell
"

A life changing lesson learned whet I was a teen

"

Many years ago, when rocks were new and I was a teen, I went to a keg party that was held far out in the country.  Like most teenage boys, (back then) I drank until I passed out.  That's when my friends thought of a way to have fun at my expense. 

 

When I awoke about midday the following morning I found myself in a very old, long forgotten graveyard.  I was lying in a sunken grave, surrounded by waist-high weeds, and with my head resting on a gravestone. 

To this day, I remember what was written on that stone in letters that appeared to have been chiseled by hand.

 

REMEMBER ME AS YOU PASS BY

AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I

AS I AM NOW YOU SOON SHALL BE

PREPARE FOR DEATH AND FOLLOW ME

 

I was angry at my friends, but I did stop drinking for many years and when I did take another drink I was very careful not to get too much.  The guys that performed this prank did not intend to change my life forever, but they did.  Thanks to them I have lived long enough to become a husband, father, and grandfather.  Some of them didn't.

 

 

© 2009 John Braswell


Author's Note

John Braswell
This is a true story

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Concise and wonderful ! My experience is learning happens from the least expected places, from sports, games, pranks, or from just fun!!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 25, 2009

Author

John Braswell
John Braswell

Bloomington, IL



About
John Braswell's first young adult novel, Coop, What if the South had won the Civil War? was released in 2001 and his second young adult novel, The Other Side of the Mountain, a Native American story, .. more..

Writing