Letters to Mom

Letters to Mom

A Story by kbob
"

We all hope that these good things never end, but doing so only makes the eventual collapse all the more inevitable.

"

Dear Mom,

 

            I miss you being here. Since you left back to Clayton, the house just seems so empty. I’m the only one here. Angie is still close by, but she doesn’t visit often. Jackie left a day after you and Sam is on his way to California as I sit here writing this letter. He thinks that he can find his “dream girl” somewhere along the Pacific beach.

            I really try to cherish these times when the family can come together, but the coming goodbye looms over my thoughts and ruins most of the spirit sometimes. I guess I’m just not good with letting people go. I hope you are well. I noticed you had a bit of a cough when you departed. I’m sure it was nothing, just the fall weather, but Angie and I are a little worried.

 

                                    Hope you are well,

           Kate

 

 

            Dear Kate,

 

            You said Sam was on his way to California? It doesn’t surprise me in the least. He’s always hoping to find some new kind of luck in a tropical paradise. I don’t get it. Why can’t he just settle down and start a nice family like the rest of my babies? You and Angie went to college and are respected doctors, Jackie has a wife and two kids with a job managing a restaurant which is a career he loves, but then Sam comes along. Not that I don’t love him, because I do, very much. I just wish he would try to make a living off something more than just chance.

            I’m sorry I had you worried. It was just a cold and it’s passed now. I went to the doctor and she put me on some sort of medication that seems to do the trick just fine, but she insists on a checkup every couple days. You shouldn’t stress yourself too much. It’s bad for your health.

 

                                    With love,

           Mom

 

 

            Dear Mom,

 

            I’m just concerned about your well being just as you are about Sam’s. We need to look after each other. These are tough times and we all need an extra push to get back a step ahead of life.

            Angie is thinking about opening up a private practice somewhere closer to home. She says she misses the fresh Appalachian air and the humble feeling of where we grew up. I think that she really just misses you.

 

                                    Love,

           Kate

 

 

            Dear Kate,

 

            A private practice? She’s really moving up the ladder, isn’t she? I think that we should have another family party for when it opens. When do you think that will be?

 

                                    Love,

           Mom        XOXOXO

 

 

            Dear Mom,

 

            I helped Angie move out of her house today. She was crying when I hugged her goodbye. I wanted to cry too, but I knew that if I did, it would only make things harder than they already were. I waited until the van was out of site behind a corner before I allowed my eyes to water any more that they already had.

            She says that she already has an apartment waiting for her to move into when she comes. It’s close to the house we used to live in, but that was before you moved. You didn’t go far though, so visiting you should be the first thing that she does.

            The address of her new apartment and medical building are on the slip that was also in this envelope. I’ve started packing my things for about a week back in Georgia for the party. Is there anything I should bring?

 

                                    Hoping to see you soon,

           Kate

 

 

            Dear Kate,

 

            I called Jackie and he says he can start on his way tomorrow. That is, the day after I wrote this message. I guess that by the time you read this letter, he will be leaving or already left. Sam said that he met some girl named Michelle and he sent me a picture of her. She looks like floozy to me. Don’t tell him I said it, but I have my doubts that it will last long. You should leave as soon as possible too. I want to have the party before her business opens on Saturday.

            PS. I hope it doesn’t take too long to open. Angie probably won’t be as persistent as Dr. Marie about constant visits. She is even offering free visits if I oblige to come. I guess your not the only one who worries too much.

 

                                    Love,

           Mom

 

 

            Dear Mom,

 

            I’m sorry to say this, but I might not be able to make it to the party. We’re swamped with some new kind of disease that is spreading around the city. It isn’t too bad with the right medicine, but without proper treatment, it gets worse and can possibly be fatal. I might be able to come if it calms down in time, but for now, I’m needed here. Sorry again.

            I’m sure that Dr. Marie knows what’s best. She might be overreacting, but I don’t have better advice but to just deal with it. It might be tedious to visit the doctor over and over again, but it keeps you healthy. I just don’t want to see you sick with the same stuff we have up here.

 

                                    With loads of love,

           Kate

 

 

            Dear Kate,

 

            Jackie is here now and Angie arrived about a day ago. She still doesn’t know about the party, but the practice opens on the seventeenth, so the party is on the sixteenth. I would like to see you, but I understand that one party isn’t equivalent to someone’s life.

            Dr. Marie is saying that I have something small in my lungs. It isn’t doing much damage right now, but it’s getting bigger. She isn’t completely sure what it is, but they ran tests and say it isn’t cancerous. She’s just worried that it could get worse if it starts to develop more. It shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

 

                                    Love,

           Mom

 

 

            Dear Kate,

 

            I know I don’t write to you much, but Mom told me about the party she wants to throw for Angie and her new business. I wasn’t going to let anyone know so that it could be a surprise, but I’m coming!

            I met this girl on the beach just the other week, and I can’t even begin to explain how amazing she is! There aren’t words to describe her, so you have to see her for yourself. She’s coming to the party to meet our family!

            One more thing that nobody else knows, I wasn’t going to tell anyone about this until everyone was together, but I bought a diamond ring for her. I want to marry her.

 

                                    Love,

           Sam

 

 

            Dear Sam,

 

            I’m sorry, but I probably can’t make it to the party. We have some kind of new contagious disease going around and the hospital needs all the extra hands it can spare. I hope that things calm down over here quickly enough for me to come, but the chances aren’t very high.

            Enough of that though. I don’t want to depress you on such a happy moment in your life. You’re going to be married! I haven’t met her, but I trust you to pick a girl that’s worth more than just looks, like Dad did, God bless his soul.

 

                                    Love,

           Kate

 

 

            Dear Mom,

 

            Sam sent me a letter, I hate do break this to you, but he’s bringing the girl. He has a surprise for everyone at the party. He has big news about a step forward in his life. Take my word for it. You’re going to be… a good number of different colors.

            I sure hope your right about your lungs, but that does sound a ti more serious than your making it out to be. Tell Dr. Marie to send me and X-ray.

 

                                    Love,

           Kate

 

 

            Dear Kate,

 

            I told the doctor to write you and she said that she would send you a letter soon, but I’m not quite sure it matters anymore, honey. Tell me when you get it though

 

Love,

           Mom

 

 

            Dear Ms. Wiston,

 

            I am Dr. Marie. I work at St. Joseph’s hospital. I have recently been caring for your mother, Victoria Wiston. She seemed very exited about some party she was planning to throw for her other daughter, but, as you know, she has been very ill for the past couple weeks.

            She has an unknown sickness that is centered on what seems to be an infection on her Aorta that is clotting and causing constriction on her breathing and blood flow. It makes her body abnormally weak and has left her immune system less functional to an extent that a number of different diseases can be diagnosed all at once. There was no single pill that I could prescribe, so she has been on immense medication the last couple days.

            We have tried surgery on more than one occasion and been unsuccessful, and I’m afraid that the affects of the infection are beginning to spread to the rest of her body. He brain has partially shut down and she has lost most of her ability of motion. My best guess is that soon she will be paralyzed completely. After that, I only have guesses as to what will happen.

            I offer my condolences for this tragic loss.

 

                                    Sincerely,

           Dr. Christina Marie

 

 

            Dear Mom,

 

            You didn’t say anything about any kind of surgery or being paralyzed. How could you keep something like that a secret? I told my superior at the hospital and I’m leaving immediately. I’m not going to let anyone do this to my mom. Not even God.

 

                                    Coming soon,

           Kate

 

 

(This last letter was found sitting on top of the body of Victoria Wiston in her hospital bed)

(It was stained with tears)

 

            Dear Mom,

 

            I’m sorry I couldn’t be there when you left us. Dr. Marie told me what they had done. She told you about how I was coming. You didn’t want to see me cry. You told them to give you one last pill to make it all go away. Forever.

            The others don’t know yet. Sam came by Angie’s apartment where I’m staying hoping to find me. He brought Michelle. He wants to marry her. I didn’t tell him anything about this. I didn’t tell Angie or Jackie either. They are too exited about the new business and the party. I don’t want to ruin that. Besides, Jackie came with his Wife and both his kids. I couldn’t bear to tell them that they would never see you again. It just didn’t seem right.

            The party is still going to proceed as planned. You would want that. You would want everyone to be happy. I should be heading there soon, but I don’t want to leave you. I have to go though. That way, they won’t be worried. I plan on stalling from telling them about this for as long as I can. I’ll tell them later. They just need to be happy for now.

            Like I said, I’m not good with goodbyes. I can’t help but to cry. I guess this is the end though. I can’t believe this is it, but I know one thing for sure. I’m going to miss you. I can’t picture you without a smile. I guess that when you really miss someone, you only want to remember the better times. It was inevitable that this day would come, but it came so fast. Too fast. I reluctantly write this next word… Goodbye.

 

                                    Love,

           Kate

© 2008 kbob


Author's Note

kbob
I came up with this thinking about my mom. She isn't gone, but I just started to ponder thoughts of what she would do to protect me from the painful truths that wander our world.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow kbob this story touched every crease in my soul. The words seem to just flow onto the page. It seems like something that is just done so naturally. I love the way that you ended the story about how She wouldn't want Kate to cry but she is going to anyway. I know how that feels it hard but if you really try then you can get through times like that. Keep on writing and being my BFF. Love Ya Like A Brother Forever.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I probably shouldn't have read this right now, but it brought me to tears! yes, you can give yourself a hug cause you are a magnificent writer, especially when you can evoke such strong emotions. I love how you did the whole story in the context of letters!

peace!
~may

Posted 15 Years Ago


Jesus caleb this is the saddest thing ever. beautifully written though

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 25, 2008
Last Updated on November 27, 2008

Author

kbob
kbob

athens, GA



About
first off, my friends pressured me into making a profile on this website. Not That I don't like to write, i just don't like to write long stories. But, unfortunately, it just isnt fun to read a long l.. more..

Writing
Survive Survive

A Book by kbob


Guilt Guilt

A Chapter by kbob


Greed Greed

A Chapter by kbob