Spades

Spades

A Story by kbob

            There she was. As amazing as ever despite the dark shadows around her eyes and the black clothing. Nearly a week’s worth of sleep had been lost, and she was only a fraction of her former glory, but even just this was enough to spark the envy of angels. Her eyes consisted of a pale blue tainted with tears, depressing and simultaneously sensual, that droned wearily across her cheek. Her hair was rough and mussed as if she had only just awakened, but it still held that elegant shine. She was imperfection in its most beautiful form.

            She had the hilt of a spade centered in both of her hands that rooted beneath the ground between her crossed legs. She didn’t stare at the casket, but at the grass. The others had begged that she only watch and didn’t dig, but she insisted on being the one to give her father his place of rest. It was her inborn responsibility to take this duty.

            The others’ sight never left the casket, not even when they spoke to one another, but I couldn’t force my eyes away from her. She was the one my heart longed to be with. Her wounded heart bleeding over mine. Forever. If only such a perfect life could exist. I thought quietly to myself of what others would think if they knew I had come to a man’s funeral only to see his daughter.

            The man in the black robes had been at a wedding only two years before. He could remember the face of the groom perfectly. It was the first time he had seen that emotion at any wedding. Not just the joy of the day, but fear, was displayed clearly on his face. Now he stood over the casket of that same groom. He thought of the viewing. The same fear was in his eyes, Knowing what was coming and not if he was prepared, but the joy was gone. The man opened a bible and began to recite his speech.

            I didn’t pay much attention to his words. I saw only the girl. The girl that held my heart and didn’t even know it. She looked up unexpectedly and I tried to hide that I was staring, but it was too late. She had caught me. I could see her still from the corner of my eye. She was the one staring now.

            After a few short eternities, the man closed his bible and bowed his head as the others tossed roses and their respects at the casket. It was a brief ceremony filled with sadness and of course the eventual bitter thoughts of “better things to do.” The girl ordered the other gravedigger to leave the casket. She would bury him when she was ready.

            Slowly, the crowd left. Only the final evening gaze of the sun remained watching her… and me. I had stayed. I inched over to her in solemn respect for her loss, but it was painfully obvious that it was only her that I cared about. Her father was just another man. I was surprised to hear these thoughts flow through my head, but they couldn’t have been truer.

            She finally noticed me a second time. She stared blankly at me with those big azure blue eyes. So beautiful.

            “I’m sorry,” I managed to say.

            She nodded slightly in response.

            “I… have something I want to ask you.”

            She nodded again.

            “I didn’t know your father very well, but he seemed like a great man.” I paused for a moment awaiting her to say something, but, realizing that she wouldn’t, I continued. “How… how did he die?”

            She shot me a strange look. That obviously wasn’t a very sensitive question.

            “I’m sorry, I should have… I mean…” I couldn’t say it. Even if I knew what “it” was, I couldn’t say it.

            “It’s ok,” she said calmly. “I don’t care. Do you want to see him?”

            I tried to answer but she was already standing up to open the casket before I could. It was odd. Not a single tear breached the air as the case was lifted. I watched closely at the casket as she pried it open. I half expected some horrifying ghost to come out and rip us apart, but perhaps I had seen too many scary movies. I shut my eyes before it opened, I couldn’t bring myself not to. It was far from voluntary, but no noise came from the dead’s newest home, so I felt it was safe to look.

            That was when I was entirely befuddled. Of all the things I could have thought, this was the least likely. She had seemed so sad. So depressed. For a moment, I thought she was joking, but her brilliant eyes said otherwise. The casket was empty.

            I thought for a while and I couldn’t find the answer myself, so I asked, “Where is the body?”

            She smiled. I think it was the first time I had seen such a thing spread across her face. It would be the last time too. “It’s here,” was all she said.

            The rest of the day happened fast. Too fast. She had hit me with something. Something hard. My vision went completely black. I felt cold. I was alone. I felt cold. I was confused. I felt cold.

            My sight blurred back into reality and I saw from the open case of my new casket the girl who I had admired for the past two months. With a spade in her hand. Dirt fell around me, but I couldn’t move. I was deep in a hole. I could only see the dim fading of daylight… and her. She stared blankly with those eyes. Those beautiful eyes.

© 2009 kbob


Author's Note

kbob
Maybe i took the metaphor a little too far, but i still like how it turned out

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

" I thought quietly to myself of what others would think if they knew I had come to a man's funeral only to see his daughter." I like this line
Alright, so I don't really get the spades metaphor, maybe if I had more time with it, but I may have completely misread but what was that a twist?
Did she bury him at the end?
Umm....and why?
I want more!
Either way, if you wanna keep it mysterious, I do like it like that, so if you wish, keep it that way, don't add anything.
I love it! Good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a beautiful story. I loved the physical description of the girl in the beginning. I never heard language like that before.

Posted 6 Years Ago


The story has the mark of an original. You create an interesting dark mood and air of mystery.

Posted 6 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
A.E
I love the turn of events in this story! I definitely didn't see it coming, and that's a good thing. My favorite part was "The rest of the day happened fast. Too fast. She had hit me with something. Something hard. My vision went completely black. I felt cold. I was alone. I felt cold. I was confused. I felt cold." I love the way the words are repeated.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nice turn-about and surprise. Beware of crappy motivations. But that may just be me, not specifically implied in story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I neve saw that ending coming. Great story, very well written. A captivating read. Grim, dark, and fascinating. I liked it very much!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very good story! I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially since I didn't see the ending coming at all and I like the metaphor with 'the spade'- keep on writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very dismal and unpredictable. You're quite skilled to have such an impact of the reader in a short time span. The imagery was great. I always love the realistic fiction, because it's there and could happen to anyone; well, more likely than the incident in this story. Overall, great write, without any gaudy use of vocabulary. Humble, down to earth, and in your very words, beautiful.
PS,
2009 was a difficult year for me. It was the year I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and Epilepsy.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this story !!! I wish I could write like this !!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't get the metaphor but I like your style of writing and I actually enjoyed the story. Twistedly entertaining. Loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

" I thought quietly to myself of what others would think if they knew I had come to a man's funeral only to see his daughter." I like this line
Alright, so I don't really get the spades metaphor, maybe if I had more time with it, but I may have completely misread but what was that a twist?
Did she bury him at the end?
Umm....and why?
I want more!
Either way, if you wanna keep it mysterious, I do like it like that, so if you wish, keep it that way, don't add anything.
I love it! Good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7982 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2009

Author

kbob
kbob

athens, GA



About
first off, my friends pressured me into making a profile on this website. Not That I don't like to write, i just don't like to write long stories. But, unfortunately, it just isnt fun to read a long l.. more..

Writing
Survive Survive

A Book by kbob


Guilt Guilt

A Chapter by kbob


Greed Greed

A Chapter by kbob