Burn

Burn

A Story by Mustang
"

A shorty story about an old photo

"
Cleaning her desk by the bedroom window, she finally had cleared a place to write.  To sit and think of a story untold.  Something to tell the love she once felt.  But just as she grabbed her pen to start writing, her elbow had brushed a small stack of papers where a photo fell out onto the floor.  It must have been hidden under her notes, tucked away for some reason she didn't quite know.  She picked it up as it laid by her foot, turning it straight and looked at it close.  She placed her glasses on top of her nose from where they were perched on top of her head to see more clearly the memory she saw.  She couldn't believe what her eyes were seeing as a tear welled up in her dark brown eyes.  It couldn't be him, the man she knew from many years ago.  It was him with her, standing outside on their June wedding day, the sun beaming down like a halo around her long blond hair.  Jacob Ramone had his arm around her waist as he held her left hand, smiling together for all to see.  Light was beaming from reflections of water behind at sea where the wedding took place that early morning at Winter's Beach.  It was five years ago she thought they would live to be happy forever and travel together to see the world.  But out of the blue, their marriage was gone, without any warning, without a note, nothing to say, not even "I'm sorry."  He just took his thing and left her alone to be with the woman he met in Rome, tall and slender with long dark curls down to her waist and curves he just couldn't keep from exploring.  Kristine was her name and it made Emma angry.  The memory was painful, too much to bare and she couldn't stand to see his face in her home ever again.  She had a tight grip on the photo as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, angry her heart fell for such a cowardly man. Her mother had warned her, but she just didn't listen.  She found out the hard way her mother was right.  Distracted from the writing and feeling the anger, she pulled out a lighter from the middle desk drawer, leaving her desk for a breath of fresh air.  "It has to be done" she told herself as she stepped outside on the small back porch, lighting the corner of the old wedding photo and threw it into the fire pit a few feet away.  A line of smoke started to rise, crackling and breathing into the air.  As the photo then vanished to crumbled up ashes and never see again, she wiped her last tear with her arms folded close to her chest, watching the smoke linger up to the sky.  She took a deep breath as the ashes then settled with nothing left but the smell of betrayal.  It was at that moment that she turned to leave, that she finally felt free to be loved once again.
 

© 2020 Mustang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like reading short stories and this is a good one. You put a lot of detail into the short story. I could picture the woman looking at the picture and how she was feeling. Then her going outside to burn it. I really enjoyed reading your story.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like reading short stories and this is a good one. You put a lot of detail into the short story. I could picture the woman looking at the picture and how she was feeling. Then her going outside to burn it. I really enjoyed reading your story.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 7, 2020
Last Updated on October 7, 2020
Tags: love, memory, romance, pain

Author

Mustang
Mustang

About
Have three girls, two dogs, and love to read, write, and play the piano when there is time. It's a passion, obsession, and escape from reality. more..

Writing
Blue Bird Blue Bird

A Story by Mustang


Marie Marie

A Story by Mustang


Fast Lane Fast Lane

A Story by Mustang