Jo's Pen

Jo's Pen

A Story by Lunette Lariz
"

Her pen!!! Her pen!!!

"
     Your story, in exchange of my pen! Email to [email protected]!


          "Oh my gooooosh! Jo Liwanag will give her pen!!!" Trina happily announced to herself after reading an advertisement in the website of her favorite writer, Jo Liwanag. Trina really likes her works despite of these being written in Filipino. Youths today are obsessed with foreign writings, but Trina is not one. Jo Liwanag books always have this 'effect' on Trina, that is why her room is drowning in books and memorabilias of Jo Liwanag herself; that is why her heart jumped when she saw the advertisement that says Jo Liwanag will gladly give her very own pen to the lucky one who will be sending the winning life story to her email address.

          But Trina suddenly fell silent. She pondered over her life, what is her life story then? Who does she think she is to send her story to a well-known writer? Trinidad Diaz, an ordinary teenager who hates her name. Why not? "Trinidad" is even older than her grandmother. Oh, her mom doesn't have 'taste' in choosing names. Why not? Her mom is a Filipino teacher, her mom who has no time for her, her mom who always sleeps and locks herself in her bedroom when classes are out, her mom who scolds her whenever they meet, and most of all, her mom who is old-fashioned. So what will she expect? Trinidad.

          "Trina! Your Mommy's here. Go down now!" called her Lola Brenda, her paternal grandmother, downstairs. Oh there's still one thing, she is fatherless. She went down with an unhappy heart to kiss her mom, Josefina Diaz.
          "How are you, my dear?" Josefina asked.
          "I'm okay. Accustomed without your company," replied Trina.

          The mother did not just pay attention to the hurtful words of the daughter. Oh jeez! This will be a long discussion if she commented or so. After that, Trina went up to her bedroom to continue working on the story that she will be sending to Jo Liwanag. 

          "Ma, there's only 2 months left, I went to the doctor. Take care of Trinidad for me," after saying this Josefina cried.
         "I will take care of her, don't worry. Now rest," Lola Brenda replied gently. 

          Meanwhile, Trina started to type the story of her life. That she is pessimistic, hates the world, hates her name, fatherless, nearly motherless so her grandmother is the one who's been keeping an eye on her and been serving as her guardian. She wants attention and, of course, the pen of Jo Liwanag. "Oh, whatever," she said. If a thing is meant for you, it will be given to you after all. And she clicked the 'Submit button'.

          Two months later, Trina just arrived from school seeing a package placed above her desk.

           A book, a book authored by Jo Liwanag was the thing inside the package! But there's more, a pen... pen... pen of Jo Liwanag? How...? Trina read the letter attached to the package:

          To [email protected]

               Trina dear, congratulations! You are the winner of Jo Liwanag's pen. I'm sorry if I can't find time for you, if I always do work, if I can't tell this to you personally. I have no confidence in myself at all, my dear, I'm so sorry. I envy Jo Liwanag for you adore her, you always like and follow her. My decision for not telling you the truth is really right, so that I will be a part of your life, even if it wasn't my own identity. And your name, it's "Trinidad" because you're three, you are three in my life: my daughter, my angel, and my strength. I also want to say goodbye, Trina dear. Always take care and study hard. And I wish that if you will have a child of your own, give the right discipline and attention. I love you! 

                                                                             From [email protected]
                                                                                 
signed: Josefina Diaz


          Trina's cellphone rang, she answered it, and there she heard the voice of Lola Brenda from the hospital telling her that her Mommy was gone.

© 2012 Lunette Lariz


Author's Note

Lunette Lariz
This story is, I could say, a very Filipino type. I hope you'll all enjoy this. I welcome rates and reviews! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I feel like this story is the type people usually pass around, like anecdotes. The plot is nice and the way you presented it pretty clearly and nicely that though there was no description of the characters, they still feel so alive.

It flows nicely as well, you can continue reading on without pausing or feeling confused, you just simply understand it.

I agree with what you say that is story is 'very Filipino type' since, for me, it gives off a familiar atmosphere. Familiarity perhaps?

A nice piece you have here

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Great visuals and great story telling. It had plot and substance. When you add substance to writing it gets that much better. It gets the reader hooked on it and make them feel as if they are part of it. As long as their is that emotional connection between the reader and the story then it's good. The connection you were able to established in the writing gives the reader a sense of comfortably that they are in tune with the writing. So that way when the writing is over, the reader wants more, and wishes it didn't end. I feel the same way when I watched a movie or tv series that I get so attached to, I never want it to end. And for this writing, I didn't want it to end. You had me hooked, and I am sure everyone else who read it was hooked as well. That is good, that is what you want for people to keep wanting more. The way you put the story together makes me feel like my life is different for that moment in which I read your story. I love it, and it was beautiful. Just keep posting stories like this, and you'll have a good following.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A very moving story. It's so heart-breaking that the mother passed away without having good moments together with the daughter.

This story talks about many things:
1. Shower your love to your dear ones because you don't know when will be your end. (on mother's part)
2. Appreciate things done to you by somebody because you don't know when will it last. (on daughter's part)
3. Forgive and forget. If the person is trying to get closer to you, give him/her another chance.
4. Don't live out of your grudges. There are many beautiful things around you.
5. A mother never forgets her child.
6. Time is precious. Spend it with your loved ones.

This is a sad piece but wonderfully written.


Posted 10 Years Ago


very nice!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
I feel like this story is the type people usually pass around, like anecdotes. The plot is nice and the way you presented it pretty clearly and nicely that though there was no description of the characters, they still feel so alive.

It flows nicely as well, you can continue reading on without pausing or feeling confused, you just simply understand it.

I agree with what you say that is story is 'very Filipino type' since, for me, it gives off a familiar atmosphere. Familiarity perhaps?

A nice piece you have here

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is a sad story, but an extremely beautiful one. Great write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think it is an iteresting plot but could use some editing and slower pacing. I feel like there is a lot more there with the history of the mother. The itallics are to me unnecessary.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't know if what i'm think is correct but wow sad. Is her mother her favorite writer?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lunette Lariz

11 Years Ago

Yes, you are right. Thanks for spending your time to read this. :)
Lino Rie

11 Years Ago

no problem
The story provides a clear picture of the Filipina personality. Founded upon the will to do the right thing in circumstances that are less than favourable, it nevertheless makes camp on the ideal while working hard to sieve through the daily grind of rice and husk. It captures the essence of the character in its intrinsic nature to be good. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lunette Lariz

11 Years Ago

I‘m glad you figured out that. Thank you!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DrD
A magnificent tale, well woven and with the perfect climax. I loved it. I mean, I REALLY loved it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lunette Lariz

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Sir! Thank you thank you. :')
Wow...this is so sad! This writer, that she looked up to, adored. It was her mother all along. And now her mother is gone and nothing will ever be okay again. Maybe, just maybe...this story is a symbol in the hope of one girl and the death of her favorite author/her mother. I almost cried when reading this! This is going in my favorites list!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lunette Lariz

11 Years Ago

Oh I really feel great when I make my readers cry! Thank you so much! :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

811 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 18, 2012
Last Updated on December 18, 2012
Tags: pen, mother, writing, writer, daughter, love

Author

Lunette Lariz
Lunette Lariz

Manila , Philippines



About
Mabuhay! Hello, fellow. Glad you came to visit my profile. :) My name is rather unique. You can never find it in any dictionary. Meaning, when you try to type it in, for example, MS Word, you'll se.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I I

A Poem by Robin