Mirror

Mirror

A Story by Chara
"

"Nobody told me about mirrors. So for many years I was fond of them, and believed them to be trustworthy."

"
Nobody told me about mirrors. So for many years I was fond of them, and believed them to be trustworthy.

Long ago, when the greatest and wisest magician, Zoldrick Rosseau, fought against the legion of Milandrum's puppet at the sandy shores of Morgadeux, he transmuted the tiny pieces of sand together. Thus, the creation of a transparent film, which reflected the sun's light. Living in the dark abyss of Krolen, Milandrum's puppets abhorred the light. Seething with pure disgust and hatred, Milandrum watched in rage as his puppets morsefully retreated. 

At the news of Zoldrick's victory, the people marveled over the fact that for once, the kingdom of Solia prevailed over Krolen. The kingdom of Krolen, located on the deepest part of the realm, infested with horrid creatures feeding upon the carcasses of the fallen mishaps--the taboo and the proof of a failed transmutation, is reigned by Milandrum, a sorcerer rumored to be the twin brother of the great Zoldrick Rosseau, with intelligence on par with his. It has been centuries since the people last saw a glimpse of Milandrum's puppets, nor Milandrum, himself. It has become a common knowledge that during the night, those without talents for magic (Sines) or even the sorcerers with a little aptitude or of a low rank, should shut their doors and hang talismans to fend off Milandrum's puppets that take the villagers who roam at night. Doing so gives the villagers a dose of security even though some villagers still get abducted despite the enchanted doors. 

A few years of serenity and prosperity passed until the tragic death of Solia's king broke out. The king's death was brought by an element that the wisest council of magicians and even Zoldrick, himself, could not identify. Because of that, fear returned upon the kingdom and the villagers erupted into panic. They thought that Milandrum would not dare to attack so suddenly. Their leniency would eventually lead them to their demise. 

And so,  the council decided that Zoldrick was the best candidate to become the king and fight against Milandrum. With tears flooding his eyes and his head bent down, Zoldrick Rosseau was appointed as the new king.

"All hail the new king! All hail King Zoldrick Rosseau!" The people blared, banging their pots and tambourines.

"For Solia!" The new king, Zoldrick Rosseau, declared.

The first few terms of King Zoldrick's reign came by peacefully, without a threat from Milandrum. King Zoldrick found a way to incorporate the tree saps and sand, producing a device that can fend of Milandrum, in which he decided to call "Mirror." The Mirror reflects the light, which the transparent film did during the great war. With King Zoldrick's magic, he infused magic in the Mirrors and distributed them to the entire kingdom. Because of magic, the Mirror has the capacity to respond to the people's queries without the need for a payment. In a sense, the Mirror gave the people security.

On one evening, when the moon illuminated its brightest, a child fell near the entrance of the kingdom of Krolen. The child shattered the Mirror with her fall, failing to notice the curious eyes of the creatures lurking in the shadow. She continued to walk, and deeper she went into the abyss. A sudden flash momentarily blinded her, and as her eyes adjusted to the brightness, she felt a soft hand clasp hers. The fear that had been consuming her earlier dissipated slowly as she was being lead. When her eyes adjusted, she saw a man with a smile so kind as the cherub's. Accompanying him were people with deformities, but the child felt no fear as the warmth that they radiated tenderly engulfed her.  

"Hello, child. What's your name?" The man questioned with a comforting smile.

"My name is Ag, short for Agnorint." The child timidly replied.

Ag realized that the man had no plans to introduce himself. And so, she prompted. The man warily looked upon his companions, as if asking for approval, and was given an encouragement. 

With mournful eyes and lowered head, he stated, "I am Milandrum, the king of Krolen."

The child remembered the stories of Milandrum, depicted as an evil monster that became the threat of mothers to their unruly children. Confusion came upon Ag as the thought of the Mirror passed. She remembered the Mirror telling her stories about the taboo and that she should follow whatever the Mirror says in order not to get abducted by Milandrum. Looking at Milandrum's face and his companions, they did not seem to be someone who were to be feared. at all. Instead, the Mirror should be. 

The child broke into tears.

"But nobody told me!"

© 2020 Chara


Author's Note

Chara
This is a short story that I did during the English exam, which is supposed to start with the given quote.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on April 12, 2020
Last Updated on April 12, 2020
Tags: Creative Writing, short story, imagery, fantasy, kingdoms, magic