Firsts

Firsts

A Story by Kaela

The butterflies in her stomach grew tenfold as the tires hit the tarmac. Was this the right choice? Flying half a continent away to spend some time with someone she'd never met face to face. Would it be worth the time she'd taken off of work? Surely the vacation time would be worth it just to get out of the office. 

She'd spent the last week preparing herself physically for the trip. She got her hair cut,  bought a couple new outfits, and painted her toenails plum-purple to go with her new handbag. Anything to have some control over the emotions that would inevitably spill over the second she saw him. She was prepared to make him speechless so she wouldn't have to speak either. 

Her legs, swathed in the soft, black fabric of her skirt, were smooth and lotioned. Her feet were strapped into stiletto heels. Her silky, auburn hair fell in gentle curls across her shoulders. She smelled of honeysuckle. She hoped he would be pleased.

The seat belt signs were still on and she was clutching her handbag to her chest, the smell of the leather keeping her focused on the reality that she was, in fact, doing this. That she had made the decision to jump feet first. She was smart about it, though. She'd already made reservations to stay in a hotel room and had reserved her rental car. He was meeting her at the airport, though. 

She took a deep breath as the captain announced that they had arrived at their location and gave directions to the baggage claim. That's where he said he'd meet her. She took in a deep breath and stood. Her knees shook under her, fear was taking residence in her mind. What if he was disappointed? She ran her fingers through the curls and checked her makeup in her compact. Still fresh.

She bit her lower lip as she slung her sweater over her forearm and clutched her handbag close to her. The usual mad-dash by the other passengers to be the first off the plane were the least of her worries. She was cursing under her breath for thinking it would be wise to wear this heels. It was at the suggestion of a friend that she had even thought about it. The friend had told her she had legs built for heels. 

Now all that mattered was walking. Walking and not stumbling and making a scene. Her hair tickled her shoulders which were mostly bare what with the white button-down tank top she wore. She walked slowly while everyone one else more or less ran like they were white rabbits. She concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other and gained confidence with each step that she didn't fall on her face.

She loved the smell of airports. It smelled of coffee, rubber and inked paper. The small newsstands confirmed that she was nowhere near home anymore. She kept walking, relaxing as she got nearer to the baggage claim. She would be confident. She would show poise. She could do this. After all, she was certain she loved him as much as he loved her. 

Tiny questions bit at the sides of her confidence. Questions that never should have mattered. The baggage claim was just around the corner now. She could hear the baggage carousel as it started its magical dance with everyone's belongings. She had one bag. She'd put a big green ribbon on it. She had told him what the bag would look like prior to her leaving so that if he saw it, he could grab it for her when she arrived. 

She turned the corner and walked straight to the carousel, looking around anxiously, hoping to see him before he saw her. She was disappointed to find he was not there. Her bright smile faltered and fell. Tears threatened and angrily stung at her eyes. She sniffed to fight them off, but it was in vain. One large tear escaped and traced a mascara-black line down her cheek. 

She couldn't find her bag either. This is the stupidest idea I ever had, she thought. The smell of roses inundated her just as she heard a soft tenor behind her.

"You're beautiful."

She turned, eyes wide, tears trailing down without hindrance. The man before her held a bouquet of orange roses, her bag sat at his feet. She went to take a step and stumbled. The man, tall and smiling, caught her in his arms. Pulled her into his warm embrace. It was exactly how she imagined it would be. He pulled her back from him and cupped her face, wiping the tears away with his thumbs. He leaned forward and planted a tender kiss on her lips. 

© 2012 Kaela


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have to agree with John in every respect.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You make it tough for ordinary mortals.
This is so seductive as to tickle every girl`s
imagination and create a spectacle of envy
in every man.
This is perfect in every respect.
Thank you,
---- John

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kaela

11 Years Ago

Again, you flatter me with your review. This writing without editing thing is going well, I think. T.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2012
Last Updated on July 20, 2012
Tags: love, love at first sight, airplanes, kiss

Author

Kaela
Kaela

OK



About
I'm nothing more than everyone else on this site. I have a day job (or in my case a afternoon/night job), and I have responsibilities at home. I am an aspiring novelist. I have to share this: h.. more..

Writing
untitled again untitled again

A Poem by Kaela