New Beginning

New Beginning

A Poem by Kelz
"

(prose) My thoughts written down on 14.2.08 whilst sitting outside a hostel having a cig.......

"

 

 
 
 
New Beginning
 
A girl sits alone on a filthy slate of grey………….draws heat from her cigarette as she watches the morning come alive. The sun's rays projecting hope and warmth across the rooftops of forgotten and neglected buildings, brought alive by the birds who have gladly set home there. 
 
She sees the beauty of her surroundings, feels the crisp coldness stinging her cheeks, feels her emotions nauseate deep within, feels the fear and hurt of all she has lost. 
 
She does not cry........
 
She needs these feelings to be alive, to take strength from them.
 
She winks at the sun and closes the rickety door, walks up the creaking steps of the hostel. Gives a kind morning smile to the unshaven, recovering alcoholic who has just fallen on hard times like herself. The hardness of his face softens as he welcomes this smile. 
 
She unlocks the door where her son looks up and grins a toothless grin. She hugs him close knowing her own strength and the strength of her family and friends will help her build a new happier life. 
 
They both head off to town, skipping and excited about this chance to start afresh:)
 

© 2009 Kelz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am surprised to read the fabulous piece.
All the statements in it are real gems,guidance for any person to live on with hope and encouragement for taking a new challenge.
Very lovely work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


stunning poem... seeming alive while reading..

Posted 12 Years Ago


'A girl sits alone on a filthy slate of grey………….draws heat from her cigarette as she watches the morning come alive'

My goodness how you've painted your words here, those opening lines immediately create the place and time .. then the emotion creeps in .. grief, you have me crying!

This is beautiful, absolutely beautiful writing. You've obviously felt the dark, but, now you see the light and must share it in both words and thoughts. You've nudged me into remembering how life should be .. and how we should be.

Enough said.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was a thoughtful, well crafted piece. It shows how even in pain and confusion, simple beauty is always there as long as we try to see it. The woman portrays strength, although we don't know her problems or what she's been through, we do know she can still share a smile.

A "New Beginning" really was heartwarming, with that taste of courage and hope that we all sometimes need. Thank you for sharing this interesting write.


Posted 14 Years Ago


i love the optimism of this piece and the gray slate (reminded me of a tombstone) juxtaposed with hope and a bright future. nice.

Posted 14 Years Ago


That is really so touching... seeing the beauty in everything and passing on a little kindness someone you hardly know... now that is humanity and what makes this world a better place. This is so uplifting and full of positive vibes. I love it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A touching prose. You probably gave that man the best gift he had in a long time. A true smile. It is the little things in life that matter. You did not wallow in the fact that you were down on your luck.. You took the time to brighten someone else's day. Loved "She winks at the sun". A fresh new start for you and your son. You took a negative and made it positive all the way round. Congratulations on the inspiring piece.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 18, 2009

Author

Kelz
Kelz

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm a Scott's lass and love to express myself through the power of word. I see the world through an open mind and am not afraid to share the darkness I have encountered. I search for the truth and.. more..

Writing
Dark Angel Dark Angel

A Poem by Kelz



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..