Chrysalis

Chrysalis

A Poem by Kena Dawn Augustine
"

Something different from me....a little more spiritual

"

Chrysalis

 

Cold nights

Awaiting transformation

I dreamt of flying

 

Immeasurably alone

My soul begged

To be reborn

 

My body’s not mine

So defenseless,

But I let his hands mold me.

 

Spun me with gold

And silk and strength

And I waited

And dreamt of flying

 

Beautiful wings had been broken

My flight had been interrupted

By cruel creatures with

Crippling intentions

 

But I let his hands mold me

Spun me with gold

And silk and strength

And I waited

And dreamt of flying

 

And when I emerged

The light blinded

And the colors radiated

As a rainbow on the highest mountaintop

I left the chrysalis

Where the Lord molded me

And flew to where he guided me….

 

Kena SunGoddess Dawn

© 2010 Kena Dawn Augustine


Author's Note

Kena Dawn Augustine
I read a poem called "Chrysalis Diary" from a Award winning poetry book, and it inspired me to write this. I know it is a different type of poem for me to write, I haven't written a spiritual-positive type of poem in a while. It feels a little odd, but hopefully I can make a change.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the poem. We have these transformational moments in life often. We are not like the butterfly in this way. They get one shot at it. We can go back over and over again and decide to take our being into the next realm. I like the "spiritual" quality of the write. Most poetry is spiritual in one way or another...
Good to read you fine poetry today.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hey there Kena,

I find your poem to be beautiful for a couple reasons. First, the opening stanza sums up the poem nicely. It is direct, and the first line describes the setting in two short words, which reveals the poem's tone. I wasn't really sold on the word "transformation" though. Your poem is so colorful that I feel you need a different word here, "rebirth" perhaps? Secondly, the imagery is amazing, and I think you should expand on that a bit more. Lines like "he spun me with gold and silk..." reinforce the picture you are painting for the reader.

Couple suggestions for you. I think this poem would pack more of a punch if you wrote it in present tense. There is a sense of urgency in this poem as the speaker is waiting to emerge and take flight. I think this would be better conveyed with presence tense, because the sense of urgency I mentioned becomes all the more palpable. Secondly, the "he" in the third stanza isn't revealed until later (last stanza). Consider revealing this morsel to your reader earlier, as it really does define the entire message in the poem.

Last but not least :) Try to avoid abstract concepts. Give us raw detail and description. For example, in the third stanza, "strength" could be conveyed in a more concrete way. What kind of strength are you speaking of here? Can you illustrate it using specific imagery that enhances the poem's meaning?

I also think you can omit the last four lines of the sixth stanza (they are a repeat from stanza #4), and let the remaining line ("But I let his hands mold me") become the first line of the last stanza.

Great job Kena! I enjoyed this poem very much.

Andrew



Posted 7 Years Ago


Kena Dawn Augustine

7 Years Ago

When I wrote I write from the heart. I'm not nit picky. That distracts from the whole creative proce.. read more
I like the poem. We have these transformational moments in life often. We are not like the butterfly in this way. They get one shot at it. We can go back over and over again and decide to take our being into the next realm. I like the "spiritual" quality of the write. Most poetry is spiritual in one way or another...
Good to read you fine poetry today.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"My soul begged
To be reborn

My body’s not mine
So defenseless,
But I let his hands mold me.

Spun me with gold
And silk and strength"





Wow Kena. I'm blown away by the beauty of this poem. Bravo.......................

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kena Dawn Augustine

9 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes, i wrote it 3 years ago after being inspired by a poem we read in my children's lit c.. read more
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

Wow. Amazing. It will come...Has to be natural...You are welcome...:)....................
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kia
I love this and the use of the words make it so clear to see and beautiful at the same time

Posted 12 Years Ago


Dreams give us hope and a reason to believe... a very inspiring piece you wrote yourself.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT! totally what i needed to read today.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

635 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 21, 2010
Last Updated on October 21, 2010

Author

Kena Dawn Augustine
Kena Dawn Augustine

Seattle, WA



About
Writing is my catharsis, my way to bridle my emotions. I am an intense person and being an artist, I see life through a different set of lenses, and many can not comprehend my view on life. Kena me.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..