Guide To Resume Preparation: The Job Seeking Process

Guide To Resume Preparation: The Job Seeking Process

A Story by Kenny Gill
"

A resume is an essential element in the job seeking process and it assists the candidates in getting interview calls. It is pre-dominantly a sketch of the candidate’s employment and educational past.

"

Guide to resume preparation

A resume is an essential element in the job seeking process and it assists the candidates in getting interview calls. It is pre-dominantly a sketch of the candidate’s employment and educational past.


resume is an essential element in the job seeking process. It is pre-dominantly a sketch of the candidate’s employment and educational past. It acts as a marketing tool for the candidate and is a reflection of his past professional history. A good resume will definitely ensure that the candidate receives not just more, but relevant interview calls. 

The ABC of a resume is Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity. 

  • It should be accurate in terms of position targeted and the information provided.

  • It should be short, crisp and concise (1-2 pages). A long resume fails to attract recruiters.

  • It should also clearly convey the past achievements and future goals of the job seekers.


Depending on the years of experience of the candidate, resumes can be classified as: junior level, middle level, and senior level resumes. For freshers, the important information to be provided is personal details, educational history, internship, and training attended and extra-curricular achievements. The vital information in a resume for middle level and senior level is projects executed, job history with duration, company name and designation held and important achievements within each organization. Another functional classification of resumes is - functional and chronological resume.

Get noticed. Make your resume distinct by using:

  • Appropriate font style (e.g. Verdana, Arial and Times New Roman), font size (between 9 to 11) and font color (black).

  • Appealing border and minimal shading (only soft greys).

  • Simple and easy to understand words.

  • Bulleted points instead of lengthy paragraphs.

The candidate must ensure that his resume matches the requirements of the position applied for. It should be more focused on current and relevant achievements rather than past glories (for example in case of sales professionals even at junior level, it is more important to give details of sales target achieved as compared to laurels won in college). It is important to check and re-check the information provided in the resume as one mistake can reduce the chances of selection for an interview.

What should you avoid in a resume?

  • Providing inaccurate and false data should certainly be avoided. Do not mention anything that is not supported by certificates and papers.

  • Mentioning your career interests rather than focusing on what you have achieved and what you can contribute to the organization.

  • Mentioning a list of responsibilities held, without any indication of how you fulfilled those responsibilities.

© 2019 Kenny Gill


Author's Note

Kenny Gill
Treat your resume as a brand building tool and use it appropriately to maximize your chances of getting your dream job and a successful career.
(You can view some sample resumes on our "Resume Services" section )

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on February 27, 2019
Last Updated on February 27, 2019
Tags: resume, resume writing

Author

Kenny Gill
Kenny Gill

About
Kenny Gill a skilled content manager. The man expended several years working hard in New York around ebook submitting exactly where this person was obviously a publicist. Today this guy being employ.. more..

Writing