Nocturne in Blue

Nocturne in Blue

A Poem by kentuck14

NOCTURNE IN BLUE


To dream in certain nights
is to feel a particular grief
kept hid by day’s blinding light.

For often in my dream-state
my wife’s forever run away--
I, unable to follow in her flight.

What does it mean? I ask.    
Why does her shadow self
hide from me in these times?

Dreams follow life as our nights
follow day. Every thing comes
to roost in matters of the mind.

Necessarily, she sleeps in her
hospital bed, I, on my own--
a matter of forced separation.

Her dreams, you see, no longer
touch mine--that like our flesh,
that lies alone in nightly isolation.

© 2020 kentuck14


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh my ... heart wrenching kentuck! well said .. natural rhyme and smooth rhythm in your words and lines .. the picture and characters so easy to hang my own life experiences around .. my wife and mother of our children died at a very early age .. 30yrs old .. now our four children have all surpassed her life in years ... the sadness ... the seperation .. the dreams and dreaming are brilliant says i .. so glad i stopped to read and say hi! it has been a while since i have visited you ... solid poetry ... deeply emotive ... love the dream work .. so sorry in what you and your wife are going through ... i am assuming this is confessional ... if not .. you are an even better sensitive than i thought ... thanks for sharing ...
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

Yes Noodle . .. all is true . . . but we have adapted.
Thank you for your generous review. Ha.. read more
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

heart and prayers for you and all your family
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

ps. great title ... just saying it lays a heavy cloak over me ... Nocturne in Blue ..brilliant!!
A sad, yet beautiful poem. The title, by the way, is splendid. It sounds like the title of a piano requiem.

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

Thanks for your words, penny.
T
Tom, this is a most moving read. The dream that one day you will be permanently separated from your wife, is one that most in their more mature years contemplate.

Already you are missing her as she is separated from you in her hospital bed. Your subconscious self is in its own way preparing for what one day will become a reality. One of you will die first. That is what we don't ever think about in our younger years.

The mind works in strange ways, but your love for her is evident here. Beautiful write.

Chris



Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind words, Chris. And Yes . . . a separation of any kind can be difficult.
T
What a sorrowful way to end a life of sharing the intimate comforts of a shared bed - it must be so difficult to adjust. I’m sure your love remains unchanged despite the change in your sleeping arrangements.

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

One learns to do what one must do. Yes . . . if love were as fragile as a couple's sleeping arrangem.. read more
What a melancholy write this is, Kentuck. To watch a spouse lying in a hospital bed and not to be able to change what is.....horribly sad. No, you and your wife will not be in the same realm someday. Unfortunately, that is how it goes. The love you feel for her is strong here. Beautifully written. LydI**

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind words, Lydi.
T
What a mournful poem. I have a sense that no matter how long we live with someone there will always be things we don’t understand about them. The inner life is a kingdom only the individual can truly enter, so in a sense, we are always exiled from at least one aspect of those we love.

I couldn’t help but feel that the dreams were a kind of manifestation of the feeling that illness itself is a separation. The hospital bed representing the illness—a kind of frontier no one but the infirm person can enter. And no matter how badly we want to be there with them, they continue moving towards experiences that we are not capable of sharing with them. At least in the sense that we cannot understand what it is like to be them.

This is quite moving, Tom. It is like the perspective of the one who loves as he realizes a separation is inevitable. It has, in fact, already begun with the discontinuation of the shared bed. And the dreams just seem to amplify the developing feelings.

Great work, from a poetry perspective. Though quite sad in the reading.

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

thank you for understanding this poem. This was just in the course of my wife's muscular dystrophy. .. read more
I can so feel the lament in these lines Tuck:( it reminds me of an old feeling I had about a character in a film that is immortal everyone wishes to be immortal but to live on past all of your connections and loves would in truth be very painful when you think about it:( I know nobody ever really goes but to be alone even when surrounded is a hard feeling

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

How true my friend . . . thanks for sharing.
T
this is so sad...the nightly isolation....forced by that of which we have no control...
deep sadness here....especially when even the dreams can no longer touch.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


kentuck14

4 Years Ago

The dreams leave me feeling sad. Thanks for revuing, J.
T

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2020
Last Updated on February 28, 2020

Author

kentuck14
kentuck14

Lexington, KY



About
Started reading and writing poetry while in the Army many years ago. I picked up a book of poems by Leonard Cohen in a bookshop on Monterrey CA's Fisherman's Wharf and went on from there. I've had a n.. more..

Writing
Chapbook Chapbook

A Story by kentuck14