Pseudonyms and its use.

Pseudonyms and its use.

A Story by Thomas Lucas
"

This story tells why as an artist I started to use a pseudonym and how it helped me

"
I always understood the reason for using a pseudonym if a person is super active in social life and famous not only in narrow communities, but she/he is truly a celebrity. Such person wants some privacy, or maybe the original name is way too hard to pronounce and remember or doesn't want to be confused with another the same named popular personage. There are many quite logical explanations and I get it. What I have never managed to comprehend is why other people, who are not closely watched by media, would use a pseudonym. Honestly, for me, such action was viewed as a manifestation of low self-esteem, full of thoughts of being judged. So what I had in my mind that they fear to be themselves. Well, I had such opinion until the moment I started to use a pseudonym and I looked at the situation from a different angle. It revealed some of the advantages that I'm going to describe below.

Couple of months ago i started to draw and paint . I wasn't keeping my art just for myself, I thought it was better to share my work on different websites to gain some comments, likes (yes, for self-esteem and motivation ). Also for another, more important reason which was to get to know and talk to the different artists from various countries, get some advice and guidance from professionals.

So I used only two platforms for sharing my paintings. First was my personal blog, where I post everything: writings, pics of my graffiti and paintings. Second is DeviantArt, online artwork, videography, and photography community. I had movements over there, but not that much. As it was not enough I thought of creating a separate page on Instagram. It was the moment where an idea of pseudonym appeared in my mind.

If I used my real name and surname, my friends, relatives or just people I know could find me and see my art. You might think right now, what is bad in it, friends and relatives are surely those people who support your ideas and write nice things about it. True, however, I see it a little bit different. There is such a thing as solidarity. They might have zero interest in art and even think that your artwork is crap, but still, they tell you straight to the face: "wow, it looks great, I love it “.  Even if you ask them after if it is an honest comment, they just nod and add:” why would I lie to you ?”  Once again, the answer lies in solidarity, that's why. Don't get me wrong,  I don't exclude that fact that they might really like the painting, but still, i can't take their opinion seriously. I appreciate more when random people leave opinions. And I'm double happy if some galleries, magazines, artists comment my art.
The other reason for not having anyone you know on the social media is ultimate freedom. You can be a totally different personage with new traits. You can work even on inappropriate things and not be bothered by questions and negative comments from your friends/relatives.


It's just when you make a post, on the unconscious level you address that content to the people who follow you. But without having anyone you know, you can open up quicker, and then sharing becomes easier. 

It helped me a lot. And the funny thing about this whole situation that I felt myself like hmm for example Batman. During the day, engaging in my usual activities I am Sofi Kholod, but whenever I take canvas and paints and start the art process I am Beatrice Bond (by analogy Batman).

© 2017 Thomas Lucas


Author's Note

Thomas Lucas
ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this idea, i've always used pseudeonyms because i've always written about my friends and i never wanted them to discover it.
now that i'm older, i have my alterego if you will, who is an artist, and a writer. and i have my daily self, who is a teacher. having a double life gives me so many liberties, and i love the idea of becoming famous, but still being able to go to my own art show and say something like "wow this is garbage," and watching everyone else feed my ego saying how wonderful it is!
great wording, and wonderful job putting together such a big idea in a short amount of words

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Lucas

6 Years Ago

thank you so much ))) happy im not alone who uses it)))



Reviews

I love this idea, i've always used pseudeonyms because i've always written about my friends and i never wanted them to discover it.
now that i'm older, i have my alterego if you will, who is an artist, and a writer. and i have my daily self, who is a teacher. having a double life gives me so many liberties, and i love the idea of becoming famous, but still being able to go to my own art show and say something like "wow this is garbage," and watching everyone else feed my ego saying how wonderful it is!
great wording, and wonderful job putting together such a big idea in a short amount of words

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Lucas

6 Years Ago

thank you so much ))) happy im not alone who uses it)))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
1 Review
Added on December 7, 2017
Last Updated on December 8, 2017
Tags: story, pseudonym, artist, help

Author

Thomas Lucas
Thomas Lucas

Sevran, France



About
Ecleepse est une entreprise de nettoyage et de propreté more..

Writing