Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie

A Story by kiki756
"

A modern day fairytale.

"

            Dusk was just settling over the clouds.  The small rays of gold being replaced with bursts of pink, red, and violet.  Mountainous hills covered in groves and forests lathered the countryside.  Hiding in a valley, sheltered by trees, was a small countryside home.  A humble colonial of grey brick and stone, it sat bathed in the beauty of the twilight.
            Though, this may seem a stunning sight to any one person, a look behind the rooster-print curtains would tell a completely different story.
            “JASPER” howled a deep voice, “WHERE ARE YOU?!”  The man cried.  The walls of the home shook with the force of his rage.
            Down in the fruit cellar sat a young boy, holding his legs tight against his body.  Though his stepfather was two whole floors above him, he could feel the man’s heavy footsteps reverberating through the concrete floor.  It was only a matter of time before his stepfather found his way down to the cellar.  He always did.
            Jasper’s heart was pounding, and it he could feel it in his throat.  His stomach felt like it was going to flip over.  Why did this always happen?  To him, nonetheless.  It was not his fault that his stepfather had a bad day at work, or that him and his mom had gotten in a row.  He didn’t do anything.  He was always just there.
            THUMP, THUMP, THUMP.  Now only a single floor separated Jasper from his stepfather.  He could stay where he was, and be safe – if only a minute or two longer.  Or he could try and make it upstairs, a risky move that would probably give him another beating.  Jasper sobbed quietly as he fiddled with a small metal bracelet on his wrist.  His mother’s actually, he wore it because it made him feel close to her, even if she wasn’t there – it made him feel safe.
            “JASPER!” came more infuriated cries from the upstairs kitchen.  Jasper closed his eyes and clenched his fists, preparing for a blow that was not yet coming.
            There was a creaking; the basement door.   Thump.  A boot being set heavily upon a wooden step.  Thump.  And another.  There were thirteen agonizing steps to that were to follow.  “Jasper,” the man said, eerily calm now, “it’s okay.  Just come out and everything will be fine.”  It sounded reassuring, but it was only a façade. 
            As the thirteenth ‘thud’ sounded, something roared to life in Jasper.  Even he didn’t know what was happening.  His legs lifted themselves off of the cement floor, and made a start for the stairs.  Jasper’s stepfather went to grab his shirt, but somehow Jasper dodged and weaved through his attempts, unscathed.   Feeling as if someone else was operating his body he made it up the stairs, through the small kitchen, and out into the yard.
            The cool air hit him like a bombshell as he ran straight into a thicket of bushes.  The brambles felt like moth wings against his skin, rather than digging and ripping they merely brushed away.  He pushed his way for what seemed like miles through the greenery of the forest, and as he made his way further in, less light seemed to reach him. 
            As Jasper ran, he felt as though he could slow, there were no sounds of snapping twigs or signs of being pursued.  There were no angry screams in the distance.  Feeling as though he had just cheated death, Jasper collapsed on the ground, not paying any mind to his surroundings.
            Jasper hid his face in his hands and began to sob.   Though he was safe, he was alone.  Jasper shook as he thought about what might happen to him when he returned home.  His stepfather would be infuriated.  Perhaps Jasper would wait until his mother got home to head back but as this thought sprang to life painful images flashed in Jasper’s mind and he winced.  What if his Jasper’s stepfather took it out on his mother?  It had happened before.
            Though Jasper hated his home more than anything, the only reason why he never left or ran away was because of his mother.  She cared for him and loved him.  His mother was the only thing keeping him from running further and further into the dense woods.
            Jasper wandered in his thoughts for some time before stepping to his feet, propping himself up with his damp hands in the earth.  Jasper wiped the tears from his cheeks, spreading the dirt from the ground onto his face.  He was a mess.  He smelled like the forest, his eyes were blood-shot, and it looked as if he had fallen down a tree.  He was exhausted.
            Slowly, Jasper walked through the forest, brushing aside stray branches and stepping over up heaved roots.  After a short time of walking, Jasper slowed as he stepped out into a wide clearing with a large mound in the center.
            Jasper was out of breath by this time, and he just stood in awe of the sight before him.
            The golden orange glow of twilight still shone through the crowns of the trees, and through the thin veil of fog that hovered high in the treetops, bathing everything in the glade with a beautiful orange hue.  Everything seemed alive, and that’s when everything changed.
            A ripple seemed to surge through the glen and as the ripple moved on to the edges of the glade, everything seemed to shimmer into focus.
            Winged beings with hands joined together danced atop the hill in the clearing.  They smiled, laughed, and bounced about, so carefree, without a care in the world.  They resembled regular people; they were of the same shape and size.  The only thing that distinguished them from humans was their varied wings.  Wings of butterflies, dragonflies, moths, and even mosquitoes adorned their backs.
            What were they?  Jasper gasped, as the thought came to him.
            Faeries.
            The faeries seemed unphased by the presence of a small human child in their midst.  The fey continued to dance, oblivious to all but their festivities, but one tall elegant fairy caught Jasper’s gaze, and held it.  She smiled a wry smile and left her kin.
            She was tall and slender, and her wavy blonde hair hung almost to her waist.  She seemed human except for the fact that her features were perfect, and that she had wings.  Jasper had never seen someone so beautiful – not even in magazines.  Her beauty was natural and she seemed to glow, her cheeks were rosy, and her skin was as pale as milk.  Her wings were similar to those of the pontia daplidice; white with patches of green. 
            Jasper now felt as if he should not be in this glade.  He looked at his clothes, all torn, and he tried his best to wipe the dirt and tears from his face.  He felt like a piece of coal amongst a pile of diamonds.
            “Hello, child,” the woman said bending over to Jasper, “I’m Amaryllis.”
            “I-I-I’m Jasper” he replied nervously, tripping over his words.
            Amaryllis leaned closer and put her hand to Jasper’s cheek.  Her hand wasn’t warm, and it wasn’t necessarily cold either, but it differed from that of his mother’s…it felt different.  It wasn’t human.  But Jasper could still sense the care in her gesture, “Come,” Amaryllis said, a smile spread across her delicate face, “dance with us.  It’ll make you feel better.”
            Amaryllis gave Jasper her hand, and he took it.  She led him to the center of the mound, amongst the other faeries.  Jasper and Amaryllis joined hands with the rest of the bunch and they began to dance.  Round and round in a circle.
            As he danced Jasper felt safe and secure.  He felt at home.  Joy spread over him and the thoughts of home and his life began to melt away, until all was forgotten.  The glade didn’t just feel like a home now, to him it was home. 
            Jasper may have danced for seven minutes or it may have been seven years, he didn’t know, nor did he care.  This was all he knew.  He belonged here among these strangers, no, his family.    
            “Come!” said a male fairy, with wings like that of a monarch, “Let us eat!”
            Just as these words were spoken, the music ceased, and a banquet table rose up from the ground.  The table was lined with vast quantities of various foods.  Pumpkin pie, pecans, and squash, roasted chicken, wine, and wild rice were only a few of the foods spread about in intricate displays.  There was a spot with apple cider for Jasper. 
            Jasper thought it all seemed familiar, like he had seen something like this before – in some other place and time.  Images of a small kitchen flashed through his head, a table with a small turkey in the center along with squash and potatoes.  No.  It must have been a dream.  Jasper had always lived in the glade.  The Fey were his family.  They took care of him.  They would never hurt him, and they would never let him feel sorrow or pain. 
            Jasper soon forgot all about his vision – there was so much food to eat!  Why waste time reflecting on silly dreams?  He sat at his seat, and piled squash and chicken high on his plate.  He stuffed green beans into his mouth and gulped down his cider.  It was delicious.  Better than anything he had ever tasted.  Jasper kept scarfing down food until he could hardly breathe, he was so full.
            “Jasper,” Amaryllis said gently, holding out a plate, “would you like another slice of pie?”
            A flash.  Jasper was back in the little kitchen, sitting at the small table.  A friendly woman, with red hair and rosy cheeks asked, “Jasper, do you want another slice of pie?”  Jasper smiled and quickly answered, “Yes mom!”  There was another flash.  He was back in the glade.
            Shaking his head, and slightly disoriented, Jasper answered hesitantly, “Sure…” Amaryllis looked at him strangely and then gave him the pie, pushing it towards him in a somewhat cold manner.  Jasper ignored this – he was used to the faeries’ sudden mood swings…right?  Yes.  He’d lived with them for years.
            Standing, Jasper felt suddenly tired.  All that food and dancing had left him drained.  He was exhausted actually, and thought it was a fine idea to get some sleep.  He had an amazing night filled with partying and dancing, and now all he wanted to do was curl up and dream.           
            “Amaryllis,” Jasper said, pulling on her dress, “I’m tired.”
            Amaryllis looked down at him calmly, “Tired?  Dear, the night has only just begun!”
            “I can barely even stand,” Jasper said, struggling to stay on his feet – his legs were so worn out, “Please take me to bed.”
            Anger flashed through Amaryllis’ eyes, but it was gone in a flash “Sure honey, let’s go to your chamber.”
            Amaryllis waved her hand, and as she did so the ground opened up, and a staircase of earth spiraled slowly downward.  Jasper followed Amaryllis down to the bottom of the stairs, and then into a small room.  In it was a bed, and a window on the ceiling let in dusty rays of moonlight.  “Here we are!” Amaryllis said smiling as she turned to face Jasper, “Come on now!  Up, up!  Into bed we go!”
            Jasper jumped up into the bed, and pulled the covers over him.  “Night Amaryllis,” he said softly, his eyes becoming much too heavy to keep open. 
            “Goodnight, firefly,” she replied sweetly, tucking in the covers.  As she kissed him on the forehead a sudden streak of panic ran through his body.  Something was wrong – something wasn’t right.  This isn’t how it should be.  That kiss was cold.  It wasn’t human – she wasn’t human.  This was all wrong. 
            Jasper was suddenly imbued with energy as he ripped the covers off of him and started for the door.  Before he could turn the knob Amaryllis lunged at him, her eyes blaring.  This time the anger stayed in her eyes, and did not simply flash away.  “Get in your bed!” she screeched.  Jasper was frozen in panic.  “NOW!” she bellowed, grabbing Jasper and shaking him. 
            He was afraid.  He was scared.  They would never hurt me, Jasper thought.  They’re my family.  They care about me.  No.  They weren’t.  Jasper ripped himself away from Amaryllis.  “No…” he said, trembling. 
            “GET IN YOUR BED, NOW!” she howled.  Amaryllis’ anger had now turned to pure rage.  Her once fair complexion was now flushed and crimson.  Jasper backed into the door.  He had no place to run.  “THAT’S IT!” she growled and she seized Jasper by the wrist.  Her face twisted and contorted, and Amaryllis began to hiss and shriek in pain.
            Confused, and looking down Jasper saw steam and smoke issuing from her hand.  It was burning…but why?  Jasper wrenched his hand from her grasp and saw the bracelet around his wrist.  Amaryllis clenched her hand and staggered back.  “Iron…” she hissed as she fell backward onto the bed.
            Not wanting to waste any more precious time, Jasper threw open the door and raced up the staircase, the earth crumbling beneath his feet.  He pulled himself out of the hole, and dashed out of the glade.  He ran, he didn’t know where, but he had to get away.  He didn’t know who he was, he didn’t know where he belonged, but he knew it wasn’t there. 
            The dark sky above began to shift from purple to orange.  The first rays of dawn were finding their way out of the darkness and through the trees.  Running faster and faster still, Jasper pushed onward, branches slicing at his face.  He pushed the pain aside and kept on, without looking back even once. 
            Jasper’s legs felt heavy, and he began to slow.  His run became a sprint, and his sprint then just a walk.  An as he was he pushed the last branch aside, he signed with relief.  He was out of the woods.  He was safe.  In the clearing ahead of him was a small brick house.  Smoke billowed from the Chimney and Jasper felt as if this was truly his home. 
            As he got closer he saw that there were cop cars parked on the grass.  “JASPER!” yelled a familiar voice.  As he turned Jasper saw the woman from his visions in the doorway, her face beaming and her arms outstretched.  “MOM!” Jasper yelled as he raced towards her and threw himself into her arms.             

© 2009 kiki756


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazingly-written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow this is such a bitter-sweet story. I love the idea of faeries incorporated into the story. But they don't play the role of magical workers like they usually do. The first paragraph took my breath away. The description makes you wish you lived in such a place. Excluding the abuse that is.
Excellent work =]

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow! I like this so full of details
Very wonderful Imagery
Everything held it's place, Love the charcters
This is a very well written write here.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 24, 2009
Last Updated on September 24, 2009

Author

kiki756
kiki756

Buffalo, NY



About
My name is Josh, and I love to do a lot of things. My talents range from drawing, photography, acting, shooting videos, playing guitar, and many others. Though, one of my greatest passions has alway.. more..

Writing
Doctor Doctor

A Poem by kiki756



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


School School

A Poem by shanise


My Time My Time

A Poem by QuietPoet