Robes.

Robes.

A Poem by Thomas Fitzgerald
"

My thoughts after reading "The Rites" by Matt Baglio

"

The holy men in their black robes,

Spouting innate ramblings of peace and love,

Honour thy neighbours and families,

As long as you pray to the dove.

Take his body and blood,

Cleanse your soul and mind,

Glancing at the altars helpers,

Feeling that sick little grind.

Preaching solidly about poverty the virtue,

Helping others in defiance of ones all,

Black robes living in their ivory towers,

Gorging on decadence off the eager fall.

A solid union in a powerful city,

Closed ranks under a voted leader,

Silent side glances and rumours,

Empire splits by this very reader.

© 2012 Thomas Fitzgerald


Author's Note

Thomas Fitzgerald
I may regret this, but honesty please! x

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I may like this more because I agree with everything you have said, however I have never read "The Rites" by Matt Baglio, and I have no way to know how it reflects to that work. But I love this piece and it's honesty to the world that you see about these 'holy' men.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

gret read

Posted 12 Years Ago


Enjoyed reading it. You made them sound strong & authoritative.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have not read the book but speaking as a Christian I see this is a brilliant write. So many wars have been fought all in the name of religion. So many death and judgments are also chalked up to the name of religion. i go to a nondenominational biker church and we rebuke religions docrinology. To us it is about the love of Christ. And having a very personal relationship with Him not condemning and judging others but rather sharing his words his love and his truths. We are not saved because we are good we are saved because he paid the price.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eye-opening and bold; I wouldn't expect any less from you! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As I am christian, I must admit your words hold a lot of truth and honesty within. Religions, so it seems, have become for lack of a better word almost evil rather than doing any good for humanity. It just adds to the chaos that we dont need in our world.

Nicely done, as always.


Posted 12 Years Ago


I like the rhyme and flow of this. Makes me think of all the controversy over priests and alter boys. I have not read the book like others have said below. But your write stands alone and doesn't need to the reference to get the meaning of the poem. A somewhat cynical view of catholic priests though not inaccurate. For me this makes me think of exorcists.

Thanks for sharing.
Blessings, Tammy

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have not read the aforementioned book so I am not feeling the poem as I should but it looks like a serious and strong piece. Why may you regret this? a poet's job is to use his eloquence to bring points across that may other wise be ignored.

Posted 12 Years Ago


...and it will always be like that. Until we peace the hell out into whatever happens.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is actually really good as for the " the rites" never heard or read it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have such a way with words. They become silent weapons.
There seems to be a theme in the reviews that I totally agree on. Neva hits the nail on the head for me.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1754 Views
69 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 29, 2012
Last Updated on March 29, 2012
Tags: Church, Rites, Men, Christian.

Author

Thomas Fitzgerald
Thomas Fitzgerald

Wexford, Leinster, Ireland



About
To all who know by now - I love you. For those that don't, I review a lot of work on here, and I expect the same in return, friend me but make sure to have conviction! I'm a horror writer mostly bu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Osmosis Osmosis

A Poem by Muse


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse