Robes.

Robes.

A Poem by Thomas Fitzgerald
"

My thoughts after reading "The Rites" by Matt Baglio

"

The holy men in their black robes,

Spouting innate ramblings of peace and love,

Honour thy neighbours and families,

As long as you pray to the dove.

Take his body and blood,

Cleanse your soul and mind,

Glancing at the altars helpers,

Feeling that sick little grind.

Preaching solidly about poverty the virtue,

Helping others in defiance of ones all,

Black robes living in their ivory towers,

Gorging on decadence off the eager fall.

A solid union in a powerful city,

Closed ranks under a voted leader,

Silent side glances and rumours,

Empire splits by this very reader.

© 2012 Thomas Fitzgerald


Author's Note

Thomas Fitzgerald
I may regret this, but honesty please! x

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I may like this more because I agree with everything you have said, however I have never read "The Rites" by Matt Baglio, and I have no way to know how it reflects to that work. But I love this piece and it's honesty to the world that you see about these 'holy' men.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I wouldn't regret it. I despise organized religion and its man made laws. I consider myself to be spiritual and I have ducked away from the organized religion because of some of these things you write of.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I see so many underlying meanings to this piece. The uniformed preachers preaching the do what I say not what I do. The collection plates that pass not for the poor but for a more glorified church, more flying buttresses, another wing. The society of fools who vote for the head puppet as the puppeteers jerk strings, the puppet dancing to their well planned plays. The grim reaper, raking in souls for the feast. So many different perspectives, a magnificent piece!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sounds dark and mysterious, very good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I've never read the book either, and maybe I'll look it up and read it so I'll better understand your poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I have never read the book you mentioned but different people view things differently. To some, religion gets in the way of what they want so they resent it, others don't understand it and others find religion comforting and a moral and decent way to live. To each their own, I guess you could say. Very well written poem and you got your point out real well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with this, a very good poem

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The thing about religion that really bugs the crap out of me is that although it's about peace, love, and understanding, none of them seem to grasp the fact that a lot of people turn religion into a crutch and a war machine. Not that I don't have my own religious views, I just don't think that I have to go to some ornate building just to be closer to a God.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't agree, but you feel what you feel

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I honestly like how you made this. I've never read "The Rights", but I believe you have portrayed your inspiration honestly and sharply.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1753 Views
69 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 29, 2012
Last Updated on March 29, 2012
Tags: Church, Rites, Men, Christian.

Author

Thomas Fitzgerald
Thomas Fitzgerald

Wexford, Leinster, Ireland



About
To all who know by now - I love you. For those that don't, I review a lot of work on here, and I expect the same in return, friend me but make sure to have conviction! I'm a horror writer mostly bu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse


Osmosis Osmosis

A Poem by Muse


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse