Danse Macabre

Danse Macabre

A Story by Eradikait
"

A dance with death.

"

The impetus led the way, scraping its unseen force against my trembling spine. Beggary was futile. The entity only knew departure; it couldn’t even register my silent scream.


I looked to the celestial sphere for answers. Darkness crawled along the horizon, feasting tirelessly on the minute rays of sunlight. The dreaded blue star flickered triumphantly against its colorless canvas.

I knew nothing.


The old earth rocked rebelliously in a fleeting rhythm. A haze drifted across the swelling ocean, barely hiding the violent grief it contained. To the south, a raven cawed in orgiastic ecstasy.


Please let there be a dove!


The impetus had reached its final destination and it deserted me on hollow ground. I attempted to flee the other way toward salvation. I tripped over a stray branch, nearly spraying myself with agony. The book of life shuttered.


I flinched instinctively.


I gaped at my surroundings. Engraved stones lined the area in a perfect formation; some were even decorated with wilting carnations and dried marigolds. The scene was a memory from a distant dream. That’s when I realized it was the tryst.


A cackle erupted in the distance and severed the calm atmosphere. I spotted my greeter: a skeletal creature with fiery eyes of self-abandonment. He lingered near the gate to the resting place, rattling with morbid delight at my entry.


Once I passed the being, the mood shifted. His countenance immediately became somber. I halted my movement and watched as the skeleton procured a fiddle. The bloodless musician dragged his bow slowly against a string. 


My heart almost escaped my mouth. I felt his presence.


A masked figure covered in midnight garb approached me from the moon’s shade. He observed me with his pools of blackness. I evaded his piercing stare; I did not dare fall into his vacancy.


He offered me a white viscaria. I took it wordlessly.


The violin’s tempo increased. The harmony was reminiscent of a waltz.


We formed a closed position in grave silence.


I never learned the proper steps, but it did not matter. He led me across the uneven terrain flawlessly.  We danced our way beneath the canopy of Cypress trees, right into the heart of darkness.


I kept twirling into the perfect harmony. The music rose steadily toward the crescendo and I willingly fell into it. The moment embodied bliss. I was spinning, spinning, spinning…


A hush sliced across the air. The dancing stopped.


The viscaria descended from my shaking hand.


I followed its departure with my eyes. It landed right next to an empty grave, and it instantly shriveled. I slowly moved my gaze to the gray stone in front of the sepulcher. In eloquent italics, the marking on it read, “Et in Arcadia ego.” There was no date; no name.


I looked to the masked figure for answers.


He silenced me with a kiss. I heard a scream in the distance.


The earth welcomed me to my eternal home.

© 2012 Eradikait


Author's Note

Eradikait
Listen to Danse Macabre: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Allow me a moment of uncouth yawping when I say 'this scared the crap out of me!'

I not only learned a few new words, always enjoyable, but saw some unique combinations that were fresh and rewarding for the consumer.

You captured the intent and meaning of your titular phrase so well - but the ability to hear the music in your whimsy created the animation of your scene. It moved from a statement to a stately waltz.

Great writing, and a deliscious recipe of words.

'A cackle erupted in the distance and severed the calm atmosphere' is the only line that jostled my attention - I think calm was to pleasant a word for your romp to the dark side - it popped out like a little ray of sunlight unwanted in a darkroom while the image is being developed.

Thanks for such an original and enjoyable read. I hope one day to reach to your heights, and I'm reminded everyone has an individual voice - it just so happens yours is in brilliantly in tune.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eradikait

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your feedback, which was incredibly enjoyable to read. It was the highlight of.. read more



Reviews

Allow me a moment of uncouth yawping when I say 'this scared the crap out of me!'

I not only learned a few new words, always enjoyable, but saw some unique combinations that were fresh and rewarding for the consumer.

You captured the intent and meaning of your titular phrase so well - but the ability to hear the music in your whimsy created the animation of your scene. It moved from a statement to a stately waltz.

Great writing, and a deliscious recipe of words.

'A cackle erupted in the distance and severed the calm atmosphere' is the only line that jostled my attention - I think calm was to pleasant a word for your romp to the dark side - it popped out like a little ray of sunlight unwanted in a darkroom while the image is being developed.

Thanks for such an original and enjoyable read. I hope one day to reach to your heights, and I'm reminded everyone has an individual voice - it just so happens yours is in brilliantly in tune.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Eradikait

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your feedback, which was incredibly enjoyable to read. It was the highlight of.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 3, 2012
Last Updated on October 3, 2012
Tags: horror, fiction, macabre, skeletons, Halloween, cemeteries, bones, scary, frightening

Author

Eradikait
Eradikait

NY



About
Writing is both my passion and catharsis. more..

Writing
Rapture Rapture

A Poem by Eradikait


Katabotic Katabotic

A Poem by Eradikait