24) Home

24) Home

A Chapter by Kelly M.

April paced the floorboards until she had memorized where every creak and crack was.  She kept racking her brain for clues, but she kept coming up empty and more desperate.  They weren't in the chicken pen, or near Leila's corral, or anywhere near the garden or tire swing out back.  Where else could they possibly be? she wondered frantically.  All of their usual hiding places had also been thoroughly checked.  She finally wheeled around to face Drew, who was running a nervous hand through his hair as he slapped on his trousers.  He glanced up and held her gaze steadily, and her eyes begged him for answers.


"Drew," she whispered his name as a plea, lifting a hand to her dark hair, only then realizing it was still strewn haphazardly about her shoulders, and then let it fall again to her side helplessly.  She reached out to him with her eyes.  "They couldn't have-- have just walked off without telling me-- us.  They don't--"


Drew reached out a hand to calm her, hushing her gently.  "Darling,  darling."


Only then did she let herself be comforted, falling into his arms, wrapping her arms around his chest, longing to feel the strength there that always encouraged her.  Her head pressed against his chest, she heard his heartbeat drum rapidly in her ear, making her realize he was just as frightened as she was.  Pulling back to gaze up into his face, she asked where he'd go first.


"The Carter's," he responded without hesitance.  "You take them over there sometimes, don't you-- tea and whatnot?  They always like to peek in on the twins.  Ella talks about them constantly.  Maybe she--"


But April only nodded vigorously in reply, interrupting with, "Oh, yes!  Yes, Drew, that must be it.  Why, Ella was just telling me how Mary Anne had smiled at her the other day.  She couldn't stop mentioning it.  Yes, Drew, that must be it.  Oh, please hurry.  I can't stand another minute of not knowing..."


He planted a quick kiss on her forehead, whispered he'd be right back, and, just like that, was out the door, without a proper coat and everything.  April pressed up against the window, her breath fogging up the glass, as she watched his retreating figure.  Please let them be there, Lord, she prayed silently, wrapping her arms protectively around her middle, as though to assure the baby everything would be just fine.  She shut her eyes and prayed more fervently.  Oh, please, God, let them be there.  Bring them home safely, God.


~*~


April had been digging her heels into the floorboards in the last hour, rocking in her rocking chair with a ferociousness.  She even resorted to the unladylike habit of biting her nails, which she had never considered to do in her lifetime; but, after that morning, she discovered that you do things you wouldn't expect yourself to do when you're frightened out of your wits.  As for Drew, he had stood opposite of her, standing first as though in a trance, like he was going down a trail of thought that would hopefully lead to a logical answer.  Other times he'd pace the floor in different shapes and ways until April was certain they'd have to purchase new floorboards.  He had checked all the nearby neighboring homes after Jenny had softly declared she hadn't seen hide nor hair of Ella, Jon, or Kate since their last visit with April.  This only spurred April on to pray more, and she did so as fast as she rocked-- maybe faster.  The jumbled prayer mustn't have made much sense at the time, but she had put her heart and soul into it, waiting-- nothing but waiting. 


Her patient prayers paid off when she heard the screen door creak open, then slam shut, revealing three flushed, rosy cheeked faces.  She nearly let out a cry of joy, springing out of her chair.


Then she was kissing and hugging them all until they were laughing themselves silly with delight and confusion at all the unmerited attention.  Drew lifted up Jon and swung him high up in the air, eventually coming crashing down into his arms.  He tousled his hair until it was sticking up on edge.  Then he was kissing both Ella and Kate on the nose.  April only rocked back and forth on the balls of her heels, hugging the three of them close to her chest.


"Don't ever, ever do that again, understand?  Oh, you scared us.  We worried so!  We love you, don't you know?  We want to know where you're going and when and--"  She only squeezed them all the tighter, until Jon pretended he was suffocating and was in desperate need of air.  


"Oh, whatever will we do with them, hm?" she directed the question Drew's way, gazing upward with a shake of her nearly waist length hair that curled softly at the ends.  She exhaled slowly, a hand on her stomach as she said, without pause or inquiry of their mysterious outing-- though she'd definitely pry it out of them later-- that breakfast was ready and waiting on the table.  In a series of shrieks, they flew off to the kitchen, already forgetting the hatbox that had been flown off under a sitting chair in the chaos.


"It's cold now," she called out to them as she rose unsteadily to her feet.  Drew caught her hand and, taking it with unspoken appreciation, she slowly straightened to her full height.  She shook her head once again, losing herself in his dreamy eyes.  "Whatever will we do with them, Drew?"  His face conveyed an understanding smile that easily filled his face.  He had felt more than saw the concern that had been screaming through her expressive features in the past hour, then the uncontainable relief that had recognizably flooded over her in knowing her children were safe at home.  Wordlessly, he leaned over and kissed her gently on the cheek, whispering softly into her ear, "We'll live, Mrs. Carter."


"Happily ever after?" she whispered back, now teasing him.


"Mmmhmm," he murmured into her hair, breathing in the scent of her hair.  She turned her face upward.


"Well, do I get a kiss before I go play mama to all them babies?" she asked him playfully, and, without second invitation, he pulled her closer to himself, his arms circling her waist, and kissed her sweetly, tenderly.  She smiled as she eased from his arms.  


"I wouldn't be able to do this without you," she said softly as she pulled away and inched towards the kitchen slowly, then turned back, her eyes shining with a love for him.  "Really."


No words.  His eyes did all the rest.  They spoke with a depth that words never could-- of his hopes, his dreams, his feelings-- all wrapped up in a pair of locked eyes.



© 2014 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:3

Finally. Finally, I've added another chapter to Drew & April.

I can't believe how far I've come with this series and how only a few more chapters are left to write. I really do hope you'll continue to read till the very last page.

Enjoy <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So I've been reading through this all afternoon and I remember reading it from before, but I could see some new changes and the story was great the first time and I wanted to read through it again... plus I never finished reading it from the last time! Anyway, this has been a beautifully told story so far and I hope you finish it soon (you said you had a few more chapters to write). I can't wait to see how it all comes together! A lot of grammatical errors and stuff were pointed out in other reviews, plus I didn't really see many. I decide to leave my review til I reached the end. :) Please let me know when you finish up some more chapters because I am anxious for the ending. April and Drew are such lovable and familiar characters and I love that about your story telling. It seems like I know them in real life!
Excellent work as always Kelly!

~Stefanie

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kelly M.

10 Years Ago

Aw I'm so glad to hear that!!

I feel as though I, too, know them in real life ;) They'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
1 Review
Added on February 12, 2014
Last Updated on February 12, 2014


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.