25) Christmas Day

25) Christmas Day

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"It's Cwismess, it's Cwismess!" Jon squealed in April's ear, awaking her with a start.


"Oh good heavens," she exclaimed, sitting upright in a statue-like stance.  "What's the matter?"


Before Jon could answer her, both Ella and Kate scurried in and joined their brother by hopping up onto the bed, disrupting the rest of Drew's sleep as well.  They all quickly gathered underneath the covers to share in on the snuggling party.  Ella tipped her curly head to the side and giggled at April's questions as though she were completely out of her senses.


"It's Christmas, Mama," Ella reminded her.  "How could you forget?"  Her eyes were wide.


"Oh... my," she declared, catching Drew's eye just then.  "I dare say it is."  He grinned at her sleepily, as though to tease that sleep was already a thing of the past.  


Smiling broadly, April gathered her three rambunctious youngsters close to herself.  They all snuggled close to her, poking each other and tickling, which made them throw their heads back in laughter.


The thought that it was truly Christmas fully began to hit April and she sat up straighter and suddenly exclaimed: "Well?  Whatever are we still in bed for, hm?"  With this, she slipped out of the covers, her feet hitting the cold floor, and instantly began a search for her slippers.  Once on both feet, she slung her cloak about her shoulders, as though a heroine, posing in front of them with an aristocratic aura.  Then, with her fist raised comically in the air, she shouted for them all to march onward towards the family Christmas tree.  


Without delay, they all jumped up in obedience, marching in unison, faces staunch.


When reaching the tree, Jon suddenly ran out in front of April, both his hands held firmly in front of him as a blockade.


"Ah, what's this?" she asked, crouching down to be knee-level with him.  "I'm ordered to stay here, am I?" she questioned, purposefully arching her eyebrow dramatically.  


Ella and Kate were no sooner gathered around the tree, still in their nightgowns and all, with their eyes shining and their noses rosy from the drafty log house.  They looked like little angels.


A grin spread across Jon's chubby cheeks, and, leaning close to April, whispered in his darling voice: "No peekin', Mama."  He covered her eyes with his baby fingers.  "No peekin'.  It's a s'prise.  Ain't that right?"  He whirled around to face Ella who nodded resolutely with a finger pressed firmly to her lips to relay that Jonathan dare not say another word, or her wrath would forever be upon him.  He shushed up immediately, toddling backwards so that he stood side-by-side with his two sisters in front of their sparse tree.  


Drew stood off to the side, watching Ella take charge as she, in her childish excitement, quickly produced a cumbersome hatbox from way behind the tree.  Gathering her courage and clutching it close to her small form, she approached April, who'd done as bidden in keeping her eyes completely closed.  


In a voice as soft as feathers, she whispered: "You can look, now, Mama."


April's eyes flew open in her suspense and fell upon the revealed treasure in Ella's hands, still wrapped up, but obvious now in what it contained, which could only mean-- Where on earth did they get the money for such a thing? she thought.


With Ella now holding it out encouragingly, April speechlessly accepted the proffered package.  No sooner had she opened the lid, then did she cover her mouth with her hand so as not to gasp in front of them. 


"What in the world?!  No, no-- you three got-- how did you manage to--?"  She shook her head as she reached into the box to pull out the lovely blue hat she'd admired in the display window, disbelief glazing her eyes.


"How did you pay for it?" she whispered.  The question was out.  She would be completely baffled until she knew.


"We gave 'im our money," Jon grinned proudly.


"Who?"


"A nice man," Ella responded softly, wistfully.  "The hat man."


April sent Drew a wondering glance.  The hat man?


And then a light of understanding suddenly colored April's features.


"That's where you three were then wasn't it-- when you left here without telling us; it was to the hat shop?"


The three of them grinned and nodded triumphantly, as though they had accomplished a great feat.


"Oh, my darlings, come here," April finally cried, and she wrapped her arms around them all, laughing with them and marveling at their generous hearts.  Drew was immediately ushered into the embrace.  They all began to laugh.  


"You know," Drew said, breaking their moment and causing all their heads to pop up at attention, "this sure does remind me of a story of Someone-- Someone who gave us the greatest gift of all time."


April gasped in excitement.  "Oh, tell us the story, Drew," April exclaimed, squeezing his hand, pleading as though she were an eager child herself.


"Would you like that young whippersnappers?" he asked their clan.  "Care to hear a story from ol' Papa?"


The threesome nodded in rapt attention.


And so that's how they spent their Christmas morning, even before giving the other gifts underneath the wilting tree another glance-- reading from their most beloved Book about the greatest gift they'd been given so undeservingly-- and it all started with baby Jesus.



© 2014 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
I wrote this many months ago and never posted, but today I just had to. I love these characters to pieces, and, no matter how rusty I am on writing about them, I hope you enjoy this chapter. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"They all snuggled close to her, poking each other and tickling and, often, simply throwing their heads back and laughing."
I would reword this sentence; its structure is a little confusing and wordy. Suggestion... "They all snuggled close to her, poking and tickling each other, which caused all of them to throw their heads back in laughter."

"That's where you three were, then, wasn't it--" You don't need the two commas in this sentence.

"Would you like that, young whippersnappers?" You don't need the comma in this sentence either.

This chapter was adorable. I really love how you brought the children to life with your wording. You really gave them genuine childish excitement.
As I usually say when it comes to this series... I really love your characters and how real they seem. :)
Excellent work Kelly and I hope you continue with this!

~Stefanie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kelly M.

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for pointing those things out Stefanie!! I'll get on that immediately :) And I real.. read more
Stefanie Holmes

9 Years Ago

No problem! Like I said, I really love your characters and I have enjoyed the story. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
1 Review
Added on August 23, 2014
Last Updated on August 26, 2014


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.