2) Last Good-bye

2) Last Good-bye

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Eastern bluebirds whistled joyously outside April's crystal clear window.  April listened to their songs they sang back and forth to one another.  She was curled up on her comfortable armchair in her bedroom, wondering.  She realized the rest of her life would change forever-- starting today.  She wanted to cry; to just let the tears flow unheedingly.  But she had cried enough last night.  She had wet her pillow until it was sopping wet, and she wasn't going to start that again.  She had to be brave.
She sighed, rising herself to draw back the curtains.  Her gaze was on the melodic bluebirds, dancing in pleasure, outside her window.  Their wings were of a royal blue and their bellies a rusty-orange.  God had made such breathtaking creatures.
She turned from the window, and wandered over to her small closet that was neatly organized with all of her hand-sewn dresses.  She was taught at a young age how to sew her own clothes and was quite proud of her talent.  But she knew absolutely nothing on what city folks wore and what was the fashion.  She did slightly remember a wealthy, dashing city guy coming to town once.  She also remembered how awed she was at his fancy attire.  Her great fear was that her appearance would look much too old fashioned and shabby for city folk's taste.  But what could she do?  Barely ever did she buy a new dress for herself.  She sighed again.  Her church dress would have to do, she had decided.  
After she had dressed herself, she scrubbed her face, then brushed and brushed her hair until it shone.  She studied herself in the mirror and shrugged her shoulders.  It would have to do.  
Then she packed all her little worn duffel bag could hold.  Her heart cried over the little precious trinkets that she placed inside it.  They brought back so many memories.  She realized, sadly, that not all the memories could she fit into the duffel bag.  How she wished she could fit every little memory though.  But she knew that nothing could take away the ones that were buried in her heart.  No one could take that away.  Her eyes held tears as she packed each thing carefully and then placed the duffel bag by the door.
She walked out into the kitchen, expecting to see her parents settled around the table, drinking their morning coffee.  But she didn't see any sign of them, so she shrugged into a light shawl and decided to take a quick walk.  She would have just enough time to get some morning air, and be back in time for a hot breakfast.
She strolled over to where Jack was chewing on some fresh green grass that had sprouted with the sweet sign of spring.  
"How are you doing, Lazy Bones?" she teased him.  "Oh, you've probably been lying around here doing nothing as usual, right?  You know, I'm going to miss you not being around.  But don't worry.  Drew will take good care of you," she assured him.  She brushed back his sandy blonde mane and continued, "You know, I'm not leaving you because I want to.  I would take you with me if I could.  But the city doesn't have any room for you, I'm afraid.  I'm afraid-- I'm afraid it doesn't have any room for me either," she stated, and a tear slipped from her blue eyes.  She buried her face in Jack's mane and cried.  She had promised not to cry anymore that day.  She had promised she was going to be brave, but she couldn't hold in all of the emotions she felt inside anymore.
She stayed outside a while, enjoying the spring air.  Then, realizing it was getting late, and her parents would wonder what had happened to her, she wiped her swollen, red eyes and sauntered back inside.  Sure enough, her parents were drinking their coffee, talking about the new house.  They both greeted her and welcomed her to sit down with them.  She was glad to take their offer and have a seat.
After talking over some preparations, they all hurried to gather up their belongings, and piled them into their old rusty Model T.  Drew and Jenny were going to meet them at the railroad station where they would wave them good-bye, and then they would take the Model T back for them.  
Drew had promised he would look after the house.  April was grateful for him keeping an eye on things, but she felt uneasy about complete strangers moving into her house.  They didn't know when the new occupants would move in.  The despairing fact was that they were moving in.  
April was relieved when she saw that everything was packed in nicely and ready to be on the road.  Yet she wasn't relieved.  She had hoped that she would have a few moments longer in her old home.  She had already walked through the rooms twice, seeing if she had left anything-- and also saying good-bye.  Her last good-bye to her dear home.  She did hope that it would stay exactly how it was now.  That it would never change.
"April, it's time to go!" her mother called from outside.  April took one last glance around the room she had known for as long as she could remember, and turned away.  
Her mother was waiting by the car for her.
"There you are, silly.  We've been looking and calling all over for you.  What were you doing?"
"Saying a last good-bye," she whispered.


© 2011 Kelly M.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

a short but good chapter. I feel the emotion in this. I like the fact you chose Brave to be the word you used for why April was upset too often i find that people say they dont want anything to change and while its true they forget to mention how scared they are of the change whitch i thnk is somthing we all fear when we have known somthing for as long as we can remember like our surroundings for it to change as suddenly as a move is scary. this was well written and i see nothing wrong with it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Your spelling seemed flawless and your writing of this chapter was great. It was so sad as it always is when saying goodbye. Nice job with descriptions and the feel of everythig. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a really good story!! MAKE MORE SO EVERYONE CAN LOVE THEM

Posted 12 Years Ago


Personally I think I would have left some of the clothes behind and stuffed Drew in her duffel bag instead. Might have made the move more bearable :)
Great chapter - reading on :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


So sorry I didn't write a review earlier! D: I feel really bad now, but good news: This chapter is amazing. You're an amazing writer. It's hard to believe how someone so young can write so well. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just, you hear how all these popular authors spents years working on writing and going to college and all that and here you are on WritersCafe making it seem effortless. I applaud your talent. ~Jennika

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is fabulous!!! I really can feel April's emotions from your writing!!! This is just absolutly faboulus!!!! I don't have anything else to say.

Posted 13 Years Ago



scrubbed her face, then brushed and brushed her hair-brushed her teeth then brushed her hair,
Aw, i feel really sorry for her! i hope she makes new friends in her new town,but i know she'll always miss her hometown. :( Wow, your'e a better writer than I was @ 12 though that's not too long ago.) great chapter!


Posted 13 Years Ago


This is saddening. "saying a last good-bye" this line made my heart drop like a wheelbarrow! The way you write, it's like I'm actually there with her! Amazing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh, the sorrow of saying goodbye. This chapter really touched me. I love the way you've written every detail.
You're a fantastic writer, I must say!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A beautiful chapter, the way you write stories is like reading poetry! It's quite amazing, especially for your age!
Say goodbye is really hard sometimes. I remember when I moved away a couple years back. I lived in a decent sized city, Vancouver, so moving to a town with less than 100 people was hard. It hurt a lot to say good bye to my family, friends, niece and nephew!
Very great chapter!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

754 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 10, 2011
Last Updated on December 4, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


1) Dreams 1) Dreams

A Chapter by Kelly M.


3) A Promise 3) A Promise

A Chapter by Kelly M.