6) Spreading Wings

6) Spreading Wings

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"Maybe it's just a silly schoolgirl romance," April said to herself.  "Besides, I am only sixteen.  Maybe I only think I'm in love with him."  She sighed.  She hadn't a wink of sleep last night.  She had mulled over the words Jenny had said and couldn't keep her mind off Drew.  She had wondered if he was thinking of her, as she constantly was of him.  She decided she'd just have to wait until their letters started arriving.
"April!" her mother called.  "April, it's time to eat."
She jumped off the stiff, flat bed and made a run for the kitchen.  Although she had had a rather large dinner last night, she was still very hungry.
"I didn't think you would be using that stove," April teased her mother.
"Well, it sure takes a plumb long time to cook things, but I think I got the hang of it now."
"Where's, Dad?" April asked suddenly, once she had realized he wasn't in the room.
"His new job, dear."  
"So soon?  I didn't know that--"
"He said that the boss wanted him there on time.  I do hope he does well as a blacksmith.  That can be dirty work, you know."
April nodded thoughtfully and was about to sit down when she realized they didn't have any chairs.
"Mama--"
"I know, April.  We're going to have to make do without them, for now."
April giggled.  "Mama, are you a mind reader?"
Her mother chuckled softly and turned from the stove.  "A mother.  Same thing."
April smiled at her mother.  She was thirty-five, but still had her youthful side to her.  Her caring blue-green eyes and dirty blonde hair were really becoming on her.  She was just a little shorter than April and had a baby-like round face.  She had small pink lips and two dimples that were displayed when she smiled.  She looked small and dainty, but she could always handle hard work.
"Well, these grits are done."
April almost let out a sigh, but stopped herself.  She had to be thankful for the meager food they had.  Although she wasn't a fan of grits, she ate them with all the effort she could.  They had such a plain taste.  They didn't burst in your mouth with a sweet explosion, but instead were plain and somewhat bitter.  She realized it didn't do any good thinking about it, so decided to ask about any plans her mother had thought out.
"So, what do you plan on doing this week?"
Her mother mulled over the question before answering abruptly.
"I think I'll clean a little more.  Still a lot to get done around here."
April nodded in understanding.  "What should we clean today then?"
"We aren't.  I am.  You're going to be in school."
April almost dropped her spoon.  "But I thought we were going to wait on that for a little while.  You need help around here--"
"April," her mother interrupted her softly, resting her aged hand on Aprils' small ones. "April, your education is very important to your father and me.  More than anything."
April nodded slowly.  "I know that.  And I don't plan on quitting school, Mama.  It's just that I want to-- well-- wait a little while.  I'm just not quite ready yet."
Her mother nodded and replied simply, "You can start tomorrow then.  That's not too soon, is it?"
April shook her head slowly.  Tomorrow she was to start school.  Not that school was brand new to her.  She had gone back home, but this was different.  She didn't know anyone here.  She didn't even know if the students would like her.  What if they didn't?  She would have to face that when it came.  Tomorrow she would have to spread her wings and fly off into a whole new world.  One that came with many adventures.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Now, you have more of an idea about April's mother. I'm sorry it took me a little while to explain more about her!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It seems to me the last few chapters have been quite short. while short chapters are fine i belive somthing NEEDS to happen in them i could easily cut this entire chapter from the story and cover it in 4 lines in my next chapter and add a description of the mum into an earlier chapter. it might be a good idea to merge this chapter with the next or even just the beggining of the next one. i expect the next chapter would be about April going to a new school. it may be a better ending for the chapter if it ended with Aprils first step into or her inital thoughts at the first look at her new school. i have some thoughts about what may happen later that i will keep to myself for now. i see a good chapter with some tweaking.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Mom's are the best, aren't they? Lovely descriptions and dialogue. Another excellent chapter! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved the detail put in this chapter! April's Mom is very well thought out and I can actually picture her in my mind. Good job!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


but she never couldn't handle hard work.- and she could always handle hard work.
her mom was nice to let her stay home. Wish my mom would do that for me.



Posted 12 Years Ago


I love it and can't wait for the next chapter!!!! I hope that the love between Drew and April grows stronger, and that April really won't change!!!! I can't wait to read more!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very good. An interested write. Gorgeous. Good stuff, my friend, good stuff!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great stuff, I enjoyed this chapter a lot. It was cool to see the character of April's Mother showing. She sounds like a pretty cool Mom.
You are really filling in the story! You have me wondering all sorts of things! If it's real love she feels for Drew? If it will last? How she will adapt to her new house?
You totally have me wanting more, keep on going! This was great!


Posted 13 Years Ago


It was really good. I love the description of her mother, it was very imaginary for me. :) I got a clear picture of what she looks like inside my head. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

626 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2011
Last Updated on January 14, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


5) Unexpected 5) Unexpected

A Chapter by Kelly M.


1) Enchanted 1) Enchanted

A Chapter by Kelly M.


8) Kanika 8) Kanika

A Chapter by Kelly M.