Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
13) Letters From Drew

13) Letters From Drew

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"Goodness!  Just look at all these letters!" April's mother exclaimed as she looked over the large wad of envelopes.  "And they're all for you," she said, handing them to April.
April couldn't believe her eyes when she saw her name, and that it was from home!
She hurried for the door, and grabbed a light shawl.  Turning to her mother she explained, "I'm going to take a short walk to the nearby lake.  Don't worry.  This time I'll make sure I'm back for supper."
With that, she swung open the door, and hurried out with the precious letters held securely in her hands.
When she was sure her mother wasn't watching, she broke out in an excited run.  Her mind started racing with thoughts, but only one was clear.  Drew had written!
Minutes later, she found the bubbling lake, and her private little spot on the nearby rock.  She sat herself comfortably on its smooth surface, and began tearing open the worn envelopes.
She held her emotions in check, slowly beginning to read.
Dear April,
Summer is slowly creeping over the hills of North Carolina.  The world seems brand new.  The flowers are now in full bloom, the brooks are bubbling with life and the weather has grown warm again.  How I wish you could be here to share this summer with us.
Drew
She folded the letter carefully, and tentatively picked up the next.

Dear April,
I'm sorry it's been some time since I've written.  I've been busy helping Pa around the farm.  

Jenny and I've been selling milk, eggs and some of Mama's vegetables from her garden.  However, with the economy being so bad, it's hard to make much.  I sometimes wonder when this depression will ever end.

I've often thought of you, and wonder what you're doing.  How are you and your folks?  I miss you all.

Drew


Dear April,
Do you plan to come visit sometime soon?  You would certainly be welcomed back, and I know Jake has been missing you.

Do you remember when you first found Jake in the woods as a foal?  He had had a limp, and you begged your parents to take care of him.  
I remember that you had slept with him all night on the fresh hay in the barn.

You were ecstatic when he had slowly healed, and your parents had given you permission to keep him.  I'll never forget your shining eyes when they told you.  You always did like animals.  Do you have any pets where you now live?

We all miss you,
Drew


Dear April,
I dread change for it can be so hard to live with.  I know you always have.  If only I could have made you stay.  Now I wonder if you'll ever come back.  Please say you will.  I miss you.  We all do.  We think about you everyday.  Come back to us, April.

Drew

April held the cherished letters to her heart, and let herself take comfort in tears.       


© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Do you think April will keep her promise?

*Honest and detailed reviews please.* :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would have liked the letters to be longer but i have to ask how is that they knew the address to send the letters too? i dont remember anything about letters being redirected im not sure they even did that back then and April wasent even sure of the name of the city when they were on the platform. and why are there so many all at once were they all written a day apart? I think it needs more detail to clear some of this up and as i said i would like longer letters but that isnt needed. its becoming clearer and clearer that Drew Loves her though ive had that feeling since the beggining. great job

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awh, poor April. It shows that Drew really does love her. Sigh, young love. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved the letters! I really hope April can keep her promise and return home to see him! I want them to be together!

This was a good chapter, I liked that you dedicated a chapter to just drew's letters.... I wish they would have been longer cause I liked reading what he had to say. Haha. Anyway, another good chapter and I'm off to the next one :)

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great job!!!! I love it. And btw, I want DREW AND APRIL to be together.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Those letters were so sincere! I think it's really hard to write letters in a book, but this was great! Definitley looking forward to reading more. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I agree with Jennika Isn't A Ginger. I love the book, and I might not have commented on all the chapters because I was too wrapped up to stop reading!!! I like Drew a whole lot better than Will, and I hope Drew becomes a bigger part in the book.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm sorry I haven't commented on every chapter, but I've gotten so enthralled in this book that it's kind of hard to stop. In fact I was about to click "Next Chapter" but there wasn't one. Haha, I love this book, it's amazing!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

489 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 29, 2011
Last Updated on December 4, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


2) Last Good-bye 2) Last Good-bye

A Chapter by Kelly M.


25) Good-byes 25) Good-byes

A Chapter by Kelly M.


3) A Promise 3) A Promise

A Chapter by Kelly M.