30) Never Been Happier

30) Never Been Happier

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Thunder cracked overhead, but April didn't hear nor care.  

She was hurrying through her meadow of white daisies, and towards the bubbling stream in the woods she used to explore in.

She came to the brook, and cupped her hands for a drink.  It was cool and fresh.  Without thinking, she pulled off her shoes, and sat on the bank, soaking her feet in the water.  A bluebird bathed itself nearby, chirping merrily.

April laughed softly.  "I missed that song."

Then with a clap of thunder, the sky opened up, and the rain poured down.

April glanced up at the dark clouds, holding her hands above her to shield her from the rain.  She pulled her feet from the stream, and ran for shelter under the large oak tree.  

"You'd think the rain would have some mercy on us," she shouted above the clamor to the bluebird, but he didn't seem to hear for was searching in the moist soil for worms.  To him, the rain was more than welcome.

April shrugged, and turned to the tree.  She then realized this was the kissing tree that was well known in North Carolina.  There were carved hearts, and initials all over it.  April examined it more closely, looking for any sign of Jenny or maybe Drew.  Then something caught her eye.  Carved into the rich wood were her initials and Drew's.  A heart circled it, and the date was carved beside it.  April gasped when she realized the date was the very day she had left a little less than two years ago.  She felt her legs give way, and knelt to the ground.  

Soon she couldn't tell if it was raining or not for her own tears were falling.  He loved her, and she loved him.  Why hadn't he told her?  Why hadn't she ever told him?  If only everything could be straightened out-- more simple.

Then her mind flashed back to Jenny.  She had to get well.  What would happen-- what would she do if she didn't?  Her bubbly friend who was always so strong couldn't possibly die-- not here, and not now.

Her face was in her hands, as she poured out her heart to God.  Her prayer concluded as she whispered, "And even though I want Jenny here, I'm willing to let her go if it be Your will.  I can't see her in such pain.  Help me to live through it if she must die.  For I know, she'll be in a better place, and that'll bring peace to my soul.  Thank You for always listening to my prayers.  In Your name, Amen."

When she had opened her eyes, the sun was peaking out of the clouds, and shimmering down on her.  She couldn't help but smile.  Her prayer had been heard, and now, whatever might happen, she knew she could trust God to do what He saw best.

She stood up, brushing off the dirt and debris from her white apron.  And after slipping on her shoes, she wandered slowly back to the house.  But, right on the edge of the hill, she turned around as she had once did a long time ago.

"I may not always live here, but I'll never forget this place.  I promise that.  The memories here will always be treasured deep down in my heart, and I know, even though I may be far away somewhere else, this will always be my home.  Always."

Then, with a peaceful heart, she turned back around.  But she was surprised to see Drew hurrying toward her up the grassy hill.

"Is it Jenny?" April asked, feeling her heart beat rapidly.

He nodded, but his face wasn't filled with sorrow, but joy. 

"Her fever's broke."

And with a glad cry, April flung her arms around Drew, crying tears of happiness.  He held her for a long time, just comforting her by being there.

When she finally let go, she whispered, "I prayed that God would do His will.  I think it's clear that He wants her here with us."

Drew touched her hair softly which was now falling about her face.

"April, there's something I've been wanting to tell you for a long time."

April looked up into his warm brown eyes, and felt her heart melt.

"Me, too," she whispered.

He smiled softly, and then slowly knelt on one knee.  And looking into her eyes, he pulled out a sparkling diamond ring.

"April Thompson," he began as tears were forming in April's eyes, "will you marry me?"

"I'd never be happier in all my life!" she exclaimed.  Then she wrapped her arms around him, and was being kissed by the happiest man in all of North Carolina.



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
~The End~

I can't begin to thank you all for reading and reviewing this book. You have given me much encouragement. Thank you so much! :)

So, this is the final chapter, and let me know your detailed, HONEST opinions. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Okay - let me first congratulate you on your story. It has a great storyline and you have played it out in a logical order. You have added some twists and turns, given us great characters and best of all April ends up with Drew.

However, I feel that since the birthday party chapter or so, that you have rushed thru the story. I feel like you were excited about the story and sharing it with it with us all that you only gave us the bare minimum.

If you go back to the beginning chapters, you will see the difference. Your latter chapters lack the same details and descriptive passages that made your book so enjoyable to read.
You have the framework there and you have the skills to flesh it out and give it the same depth and strength as the start of the book.

I know there are times when I get too caught up on the details and get nowhere in the story. So I now just work to get the story down and fill in the details later.

But this is just my opinion and there may not be anyone who thinks like I do. Like I said - I liked the story, I really did - I would just like to see the same consistency through the whole story :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

WHAT A WAY TO END!!! ok now i have to aggree with Devine Miss C some of the chapters were rushed and need tweaking however if you really work on this it could very well be published. if you do try and get it published then once its accepted let me know so i can pre order a copy would you? loved it now... extreamly late for me but i wanna know what happens so ill start your next book but i wont reveiw it... yet.
My Book Rating
100/100

Posted 12 Years Ago


oh dear, um let me go by saying, that this book was really good. I love it. I'm glad their getting married :D I'm glad Jenny's fine! Happy endings! :) I think this story was a little rushed, but I really enjoy it. :) I knew they loved each other. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well I finally read this and I loved :D It was great and the first book makes a lot more sense now! xD

Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent ending! I'm in tears! I knew that Drew would ask her to marry him, and I knew she'd say yes. This was an excellent ending. Now, onto Promise to Come!!
-Livs
By, the way, the whole book is 100/100.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great ending! I'm so glad she has Drew now! And I am so glad that Jenny's fever broke. I think you should write another book based off of this one talking about April and Drew's life together :)
Great job! And I hope to read more of your books soon!!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


Okay - let me first congratulate you on your story. It has a great storyline and you have played it out in a logical order. You have added some twists and turns, given us great characters and best of all April ends up with Drew.

However, I feel that since the birthday party chapter or so, that you have rushed thru the story. I feel like you were excited about the story and sharing it with it with us all that you only gave us the bare minimum.

If you go back to the beginning chapters, you will see the difference. Your latter chapters lack the same details and descriptive passages that made your book so enjoyable to read.
You have the framework there and you have the skills to flesh it out and give it the same depth and strength as the start of the book.

I know there are times when I get too caught up on the details and get nowhere in the story. So I now just work to get the story down and fill in the details later.

But this is just my opinion and there may not be anyone who thinks like I do. Like I said - I liked the story, I really did - I would just like to see the same consistency through the whole story :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amazing end to an amazing book. Great job! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


AWWWWW!!!!!! Yay!!! That makes me extremely happy!!!! In the begining of the chapter I wasn't sure where you were going with this, but then, by the end, you tied it all into together, and it all worrked out. Great job!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful!!! I cant believe its over!!! Wonderful ending!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was a beautiful book! :) Wonderful ending too! :)

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

725 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2011
Last Updated on March 3, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


2) Last Good-bye 2) Last Good-bye

A Chapter by Kelly M.


3) A Promise 3) A Promise

A Chapter by Kelly M.


25) Good-byes 25) Good-byes

A Chapter by Kelly M.