1) Dreams

1) Dreams

A Chapter by Kelly M.

A serene peace blanketed the mountains of North Carolina that night.  April was perched on the Carter's porch swing outside, rocking in thoughtful silence.  Countless stars lit the dark blue sky, and the faint chirp of the crickets broke the brisk night air in a harmonic melody.
The screen door creaked open, and Jenny, who had now fully recovered, stepped out, a warm shawl about her.  She silently joined April on the rickety swing.
"And what do you think you're doing out of the house?  You'll catch a cold," April teased.
"I couldn't stand that stuffy house any longer.  I haven't been outside in days."
They both were silent as they stared up at the sky.
"It's a lovely night," Jenny whispered.
"Yes," April whispered into the soft darkness.  She turned slowly to Jenny, her face beaming with uncontainable joy.  "I feel so--" She paused.  "I-- I feel like the world is raining down its glorious sunshine, and all I can feel is happiness.  Each day I awaken, I think it was all just a wonderful dream.  I've longed of the moments, the very thought-- to be married, and, to think, my dreams are coming true!"
Jenny reached to squeeze her hand.  "Sooner than you know it, you'll be Mrs. Drew Carter."
April beamed. "Oh, if only there were someone for you, Jen-- to make you this happy."
Jenny looked away, her eyes falling to her lap.
"I always thought James was-- but, now-- I'm so unsure."
April jerked her head around to meet her friend's gaze, her eyes looking
inquiringly at her.
"He's gone, April," she whispered, her eyes filling with confusion and deep hurt, "and no one has any idea where he went."
"Left?" she asked, incredulous.  Didn't he tell anyone where he was going?"
She shook her head.  "Not a word to a soul-- even his mother is concerned.  And I'm-- terribly afraid.  It's not like him to leave, without even saying a good-bye.  He just... just vanished."
April reached to give Jenny a comforting embrace.  "I'm sure he'll be back soon.  There has to be a reason why he left so suddenly."
Though April tried to keep her tone hopeful, her heart began to mull over the mystery.  Why would he just leave-- no information, not a word of his whereabouts?  Where could he have gone...and why so quickly?  She had no answers to her swirling questions, but she prayed that wherever he was, he would not delay in returning.  Jenny certainly seemed confused-- hurt.  Did he not love her enough to assure her of his departure and return?  She pushed thoughts aside, and tried to change the subject.

"Did I tell you my parents are going to be arriving on the next train?" she asked her.  "I still can't believe they'll be coming.  It seems so long since I've seen them, and it'll be wonderful having them here for my wedding, won't it?  I was disappointed, though, that I had to miss Kanika's," she continued on sadly.  "She and Karver are so sweet.  They promised to visit soon, and then you'll be able to meet them."

Jenny merely nodded, managing a wobbly smile.  "I can hardly wait," she whispered.
April knew, though, that it would be James' arrival that she would be anticipating.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What do you think? It was more of a prologue than a chapter.

Please give your honest, detailed opinions since it is the first chapter. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"My mother says she was talked to Mrs. Moore, his mother, but she said he hadn't told them either." 'Talked' should be changed to 'talking'

"Isn't going to be wonderful to have them close by?" You forgot to add the word 'it' between Isn't and going.

This are my only two critiques :) I really liked the detail you packed into this chapter! I hope they figure out what happened to James. You definitely did a better job with this chapter compared to the other one. You can tell you put more time and effort into it, and you don't seem like you're rushing through the story. Great job!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


I feel sorry for Jenny D: Grrr. xD
Girl, this chapter is a great first chapter, end of sentence :D


Posted 12 Years Ago


Great first chapter!! Cant wait to read more!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


The opening chapter was very well written, but didn't you already have it written?? Anyway, it kept a steady pace and I'm glad you have kept the details to a minimum. I can feel the characters looking at the sky and breathing with the wind. Wonderful job!

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

779 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 24, 2011
Last Updated on January 14, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


age age

A Poem by Emily Paige


Old Old

A Poem by Muse