3) Astonishment

3) Astonishment

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"This is perfect," April whispered to Drew, giving his hand a squeeze.  "I can't imagine any other place for our future home."
Drew had unexpectedly grabbed April's hand when she was preparing him lunch, and had urged her up the hill, hastening forward.  April had just laughed, and followed.  That's when he showed her his 'surprise.'  Their cozy log home was to be built under the kissing tree, and would have a beautiful view of Daisy Haven.  It would be nestled on the crest of the heavily forested woods, outlined by the laughing stream.
"I thought you might like to have a garden over there," he said, pointing near the stream.  "That way you don't have to haul the water too far."
"I'd like that," she admitted.  "I always did want my own garden."
"And maybe we could set up a tire swing."
April smiled like an excited child.
"It'll be wonderful," she enthused, "but most especially, because it will be built by your own hands."
He lifted her into his arms, and spun her around, making her eyes sparkle with laughter.
"Are you sure you want it built here?" he asked, his eyes looking deeply into hers.
April turned her gaze to the open grasses that were being gently swayed in the autumn wind, and the bubbling brook which laughed along the riverbank.  She looked back at Drew.
"Positive," she whispered. 
~*~
Each day passed easily by as Drew blistered his hands and back, determined to build their home before winter set in.  He proved to work the impossible each day with a weary smile on his face.  April worried about him, and the finishing of their home.  Autumn was slipping away, and the cold winds of winter came in exchange.  The foundation had been set, but the roof wasn't complete, and nor some of the walls.  Will he have it finished in time? was her constant thought. Their wedding date was set for November the first, and it was looming in closer.
~*~
"I think we're going to have one hardworking son-in-law," April's father commented.  "He'll be a fine husband."
April smiled as they watched Drew from the kitchen window.  He was carrying more wood up the hill, hoping to start on the roof.
"I know he will," April whispered.
~*~
April was sitting down to a quiet lunch by herself when the door flew open, and Drew walked in, puffing white wisps of smoke.
"It's cold out there," he said, his shoulders shivering slightly.
"Come, sit down, and eat some lunch.  I'll get you some coffee," April said, hurrying off to the kitchen.
"I can't stay long.  I have to go into town before it's dark for more lumber," he called to her.
April reappeared with a steaming cup of coffee, and, handing it to him, said, "It's near cold enough to freeze off a nose out there.  Are you sure you should go tonight?  You're likely catch a nasty cold."
He kissed her nose playfully.  "Don't worry about me.  I'll be back as soon as I can."
"Wait just a minute!" she called, scurrying off to her bedroom.  Soon, she returned with a bright red scarf she had kept stowed away in her hope chest.
"Take this," she instructed, handing it to him.  "I'm not going to risk any chances of you becoming confined to your bed, frostbitten and coming down with a fever."  Though her tone was teasing, her blue eyes were deep with seriousness.
He smiled, kissed her softly, and disappeared out the door.
~*~
Later in the day, April sat with Jenny in the Carter's kitchen.  They were talking of wedding plans, but April wasn't paying much attention.  She kept glancing at the clock, and then out the window where the wind was howling, shaking the house to its very core.
"April," Jenny said with a laugh, "which color?"
April snapped back to reality, and looked at Jenny with a blank expression.
"Which color?" she repeated, confused.
"April, don't worry about Drew.  He only went for more lumber," she said, patting her hand.
"That was an hour ago."  April fidgeted with her hands in worried agitation.  "He's never this late."
"Well, maybe--"
But Jenny couldn't finish her sentence for was interrupted with a quick rap at the door.  April sighed with relief as she went to answer it.  She expected Drew to be standing there, but was proved wrong when it opened, and a small boy with ruffled blond hair, and big blue eyes stood, shivering from the cold.
"You got to come quick!" he cried.
"Why?  What's wrong?" April asked, her heart pounding in fear.
"Mister Drew's wagon fell over.  He's pinned underneath!"
April felt the whole world spinning around her as she dropped to her knees in shock.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
O_O

What's going to happen, now?!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OH MY!!!!! DREWW.

Posted 12 Years Ago


OH NO. DREW!! Get out of there, Drew! Never, ever apologize for the length, it's brilliant whatever. This chapter was brilliant, but the cliffhanger was not very nice! Going on to read what happens next!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yes you are definitely leaving me in suspense!!! I'm totally curious now:) I love the way it's set to an older time. I love the time of horse an buggy:) Well not if he's pinned under it!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Okay, I've got to say you've got this whole old-fashioned theme down! It's so amazingly written! Like seriously, it's so perfect, especially for a draft. It's a great storyline, and you're getting the romance JUST right! It's so sincere, and not cheesy. I just love your writing, and this book!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG! This was an excellent cliffhanger. Anyway, I'm glad it was very well written and dramatic. You always want a couple chapters in a book that bring the suspense. :) Wonderful write. I can't wait till the next chapter.

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


OH NO!!! A cliffhanger!! Cant wait to read more . . .

Posted 12 Years Ago


You left quite a cliffhanger in this chapter! I really hope Drew is ok and that he can finish getting their house built. You did great with this chapter, and I am really looking forward to reading more!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
7 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 27, 2011
Last Updated on January 14, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.