4) Tears

4) Tears

A Chapter by Kelly M.

The wind whipped wildly at April's hair as she dug her heels into the horses flanks, urging him faster.  She felt the tears sting at her eyes, but she forced herself to keep going.  Everything had happened so fast that she barely knew how to comprehend it all.
Then she gasped, coming upon a horrified sight-- the broken wagon that had tipped over.  She jumped from her horse, and rushed to Drew's side.  By now, men had gathered around, and had pulled him from the wagons captivity.  Dr. Owens, and a few others were carefully carrying him inside the next door neighbors' house.  They laid him on the couch where the doctor made a quick and thorough examination.  All a while, April held a handkerchief to her eyes, and watched in silence, her heart pleading to God.
"What can I do to help?" April asked after finally gaining up her courage.
Without even a glance her way, the doctor quickly replied, "Fresh bandages, and clean water.  I'll need to clean his wounds.  He's bleeding pretty bad."
April did as bidden, and when returning, heard many muffled whispers.  She soon found out from Jenny that someone had seen a reckless driver who had spooked the horses, causing the wagon to tip.  There was no trace left of this mysterious stranger.
~*~
All of a sudden, April heard a shotgun pierce the frigid, silent air.  She glanced at Jenny, questioning in her eyes.
Jenny patted her arm.  "The horses have to be put down.  They're both lame from the accident."
Before Jenny could stop her, April had fled outside into the barn where she saw a man unknown to her, pointing a gun at Jack who lay helpless on the frosted ground.
"No, stop!" she yelled.
The man wheeled around, and met her horrified eyes.  Her dress was torn, and her hair disheveled, and her whole body quaked with fear.  She knew she must have looked a sight to behold.
"What are you doing, getting in my way, woman?  I nearly shot the barn wall," the short, frightening man barked.
"That's my horse."
"He's lame," the man said, spitting on the ground.
"I don't care if he's lame or half dead," she said softly, but firmly.  "He's my horse and I believe I have a say in how you plan to dispose of him."
His eyes narrowed as he looked at her sharply.  Then with a 'humph' he walked away in defeat.
Once he had disappeared, April rushed to where Jack lay on the soft straw.
"I won't let you die," she whispered.  "I promise."
~*~
Dr. Owens turned to an expectant April, his face tired and sweaty.
"I'm afraid he's pretty bad.  He has broken a few ribs, his right arm and leg.  His cuts will need to be cleaned daily.  We don't want to take any chances with an infection," the doctor explained while cleansing his bloody hands in the wash basin.  Then he turned to April, his face serious and grave.  "When he gains consciousness, he'll have much pain.  He'll have to be watched constantly, and I strongly suggest not to move him."
After he had made his announcement, April knelt by the worn couch, and held Drew's hand in hers, trying hard to choke back the tears.
"Don't leave me, Drew Carter.  Please, don't.  I-- I love you, and we have to get married, and are going to live in that beautiful house.  Please, you can't leave me, now.  Not when I need you so much."  Then she laid her head on his chest, and cried all her tears.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:'(

This is where it all gets turned around...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

:'( Thats horrible please don't die!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Poor Drew. Please live! If he dies, something will happen... D:
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow that was a very sad but touching chapter! I'm asking all the same questions!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I hope Drew and Jack get better! Another great chapter and I am ready for more! Let me know when you have more posted please!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


You left us with a very good cliffhanger. I, too, want to read more! So when you post some more, please feel free to read request me :) lol!

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


WRITE MORE!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


PLEASE WRITE MORE!!!!! I'm sooo hooked on this book, it's not even funny. Can't wait to read the next one!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
7 Reviews
Added on May 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 14, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.