9) Argument

9) Argument

A Chapter by Kelly M.

April watched in dismay as buckets of water fell from the dark, dreary clouds.  Only two more days until her wedding, and she wasn't hoping for muddy puddles or downcast weather.
Jenny rested her hands on April's shoulders.  "It'll let up," she comforted.
April shrugged, and turned to her, saying softly, "If it doesn't we'll just have to have it inside.  No rain can dampen my spirits."
Jenny smiled, giving her a hug.  "Want to try on your wedding dress, now?  Your mother has finished altering it."
With a nod, April slipped on the soft satin material, admiring it in front of the full length mirror.
"It's just how I pictured," her mother exclaimed.
Jenny agreed, smiling.  "It really is lovely."
"Thank you," April whispered, smiling, "but it was all of mother's doing.  I don't know how you did it.  It's just perfect."
"Oh, it wasn't anything," her mother protested, but an appreciative smile lit her face.
~*~
Two hours later, a faint rap sounded at the door.
"Who could that be?" April thought aloud.
Jenny shrugged, and went on kneading the bread dough for their dinner that night.
April hurried to the door, tucking in wayward strands of hair as she went.  As soon as a she opened it, she gasped in surprise.
"James!" she exclaimed, giving him a quick hug.  "Come in, come in," she motioned inside.
By now, Jenny had entered the room, her hair almost completely falling out of her tight bun, and flour smeared across her forehead.  Tears glinted in her eyes as she fell into James' arms.  April quietly tiptoed from the room.
~*~
A half hour later, April's mother entered the kitchen where April was busy preparing the third meal while Jenny and James were still chatting away like the best of friends. 
"Who's here?" her mother asked curiously.
"James," April whispered.  "After two months without a word, he just returns like the prodigal son."
"He's back?" she nearly yelled.
Just then, they could hear arguing voices, and then a sudden slam of the door.
April and her mother exchanged glances, and then hurried to where Jenny lay on the couch, weeping.
"Jenny," April said, sitting next to her, "whatever is wrong?  What did he say?"
"Nothing," she whispered.  "I just told him to leave."
"Why?" April asked, surprised at her friend. 
"I only asked him why he had left.  He said he couldn't tell me.  I can't be any part of James Moore if he keeps secrets from me."  Then she burst into a fresh new set of tears.
April could only sit beside her, doing her best to give her a measure of comfort.
~*~
The rest of the day went on in complete silence.  It was like their very silence was pressing on them, making it hard to breathe.  April couldn't say anything-- she didn't know what to say.  She only wished that James and Jenny could be more sensible to talk things over instead of not speaking at all.  After all, James had given a somewhat reasonable explanation.  Maybe it was important, and his job was to keep certain facts under the uppermost secrecy.  She honestly didn't know if James was merely being loyal or betraying his closest friends.
"I think I'll take a short walk," Jenny said, standing up, and reaching for her shawl.
"In this weather?" Mrs. Carter protested.  "You'll catch your death of cold."
"The rain has stopped, mother.  It's only sprinkling, now."
"You could step into a large puddle.  Besides, the rain could start up again.  Those dark clouds don't look friendly."
Jenny wrapped her shawl about her shoulders.  "I'll be careful," she assured her, and stepped outside, letting in a gust of cold wind.
Mrs. Carter shook her head, and glanced worriedly at April.  There wasn't anything they could do.


© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What do you think of this chapter? Is James innocent or guilty?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hmm, confusion . is he guilty? o.o

Posted 12 Years Ago


James doesn't seem like the guy that would cheat, I agree. Even though we don't know a TON about James, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy. :D This is getting better and better, and I'm anxious to read what's next!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think James is innocent. He dosn't seem like the kind of guy to cheat on a girl, and besides cheating in those days was un-speakable and un-heard of! So no, I odnt think James in guilty!

Posted 12 Years Ago


James might have just been needing to catch some air or something might have happened with his life and he needed to get away from it. Or James might have been cheating on Jenny, but I don't think it's possible. Have you described what James looks like yet? If not, maybe you should in this chapter or the next. :) I loved it very much, you brought the whole reality to life. The characters were like real people and I definitely love it. :D

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great chapter!! I thnk James may be innocent, but he's guilty because he wont tell Jenny. I hope they work things ou!! Cant wait to see what happens next!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another great chapter Kelly! I really hope Jenny and James can figure things out and that James isn't hiding a terrible secret.
I'm looking forward to more!!

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
6 Reviews
Added on June 2, 2011
Last Updated on January 15, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.