11) Love of my Life

11) Love of my Life

A Chapter by Kelly M.

April rocked herself back and forth on the rocking chair, straining her neck to see out the foggy window.  It had started raining again, and Mrs. Carter, including April, were terribly worried about Jenny.  It had been little over an hour, and there was still no sign of her.

Mr. Carter stood up, interrupting the silence.  "I think I'll take a little walk, and look around for Jenny.  I bet she's just around the corner."

The relief in Mrs. Carter's eyes was clearly seen, but it slowly faded.  "In this rain?" she asked softly.

Before he could open his mouth with a reply, the door opened, sending in a swift breeze.

"Jenny!" Mrs. Carter exclaimed, a mixture of emotion in her voice.  "Where have you been?  Father was just going out to look for you."

Jenny's beautiful orange-red hair was falling out of its tight bun, and wisping about her flushed cheeks.  Her boots and clothes were damp and muddy, but her face was beaming in her rapturous joy.

"I'm sorry, mother," she said softly, kissing her weathered cheek.  "I must have forgotten the time."

Her mother looked dumbfounded.  First, her daughter was weeping over her dear James, and now she was smiling like the whole world had been turned upside down.

"How was your walk?" April asked curiously as she resumed her knitting.

Jenny's eyes sparkled, and her cheeks blushed a deeper red.  "Just fine," she whispered.

April looked up, and caught her glance.  Her eyes were full of unasked questions.  Had she merely enjoyed herself, and had been determined to make light of the whole matter?  Maybe she had, but April knew that the shine in her eyes had to be more than that.  April knew that she was hiding something-- and she tended to find out just what it was.

~*~

The heavy silence was soon replaced with Jenny's soft whistling as she began setting the table.  April quietly slipped from the living room to join her.

"Okay, Jenny," April said, crossing her arms, "spill the beans."

Jenny nearly burst as she turned to April.  "We were all so wrong about James.  Completely wrong.  He explained everything to me, and-- well-- it was silly of me, and wrong for us to judge him without knowing the whole situation."

April was overjoyed for Jenny's sake, and pried her for more details.

"And," Jenny concluded softly, "I think I'm to be engaged soon."

"Oh, Jenny!" April squealed.

"Shh!" she whispered, her finger to her lips.  "I don't want to tell my parents yet.  Not until I'm absolutely sure."

April gave her a warm embrace.  "I would hate to lose you," she admitted, "but you and James are perfect for each other.  He really is a sweetheart."

"Yes," Jenny fairly whispered. 

"And romantic," she teased.

Jenny elbowed her, but indulged in a smile.

~*~

The rainy weather hadn't ceased the following day, and April fidgeted nervously, trying to concentrate on the important tasks at hand.  There was still so much to do and little time to do it.  At the moment, she felt like doing nothing, but weep.  Her dreams of an outdoor wedding would be ruined.

Jenny sensed her irritation, and gave her hand a friendly squeeze.  "'All things work together for good,'" she quoted softly.

April sighed, and turned to her.  "I'm sorry I've been so-- so selfish.  I know it's not the place of the wedding that matters, but the people.  I guess I lost sight of that, hadn't I?"

Jenny just patted her shoulder.  "It's the best day of your life.  Enjoy and remember it."

April smiled.  "I won't let this weather get to me anymore.  This is my dream that's come true, and it's not the storm that's ruining it, but myself."

So, the rest of the day, April put all her effort into her wedding preparations with much help from the others who were just as anxious as she for the coming day.  

Drew had been mysteriously away for a few days, but promised he would be back in no time for the wedding.  April wasn't too disappointed for was working on her wedding gift to him, and didn't want him to discover it.

At the end of the day, much had been done, and April was completely exhausted.  She sighed contentedly as she slipped into bed that night, and, before drifting into a deep slumber, she whispered through the tears that glistened in her eyes, "Thank you, Lord, for letting Drew be a part of my life."



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh yay, almost to the Wedding. I hope.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yay James and Jenny! It's like Kaika(sp?) and Karver, everyone has the same letter as their first name. :D This is a great romantic book, and I'm enjoying every minute of it! Great work!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


I finally got some time to get back on here and catch up on my reading! Haha. Anyway, this was a great chapter and I am so glad that Jenny is happy again, and I also hope she does have a future engagement :)
Hopefully the sun comes out for Drew and April's wedding too! I am on to the next chapter :)

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


I liek the chapter, I a=only wish they were longer. I was wondering where Drew was but you answered my question :) I like Drew and I'm glad April chose him over Will. Will was just a tad creepy XD anyway!!! great job, and it's just a sweet and wholesome story!!! Fabulous job!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awwww I love this chapter! :) LOL! I really hope that you write more soon, it's going at a very good pace too. :P Oh, and I think Drew's not going to come back in time for the wedding or something's going to happen to April or someone else. :O That's my guess. Loved the chapter again. :D

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


This chapter was sooo sweet!! Im really not sure whats gonna happen next. . but I cant wait to find out! Great write and I enjoyed reading. . as always

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
6 Reviews
Added on June 16, 2011
Last Updated on January 15, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.