4) Friend Night

4) Friend Night

A Chapter by Kelly M.

After Ashton had kindly helped us load our groceries, he nodded to us both, and slipped away reluctantly.

"Goodness, isn't he considerate?" Jordan squealed in mock teasing once we were on the road.  "Did you see him stare at you?  I bet he didn't even realize I was there."

"Oh, Jordan, stop.  He was only being friendly.  Besides, it's his job."

"And those eyes," she said, ignoring my reply.  "He was quite handsome, wasn't he?"

I smiled softly, and had to admit, yes, he was quite handsome.  

"He had this way about him-- he was so charming, and--"

"Okay, okay," I laughed.  "You don't need to convince me.  He was kind, and handsome, and, yes, he was charming.  I'm not denying it."

"Well, I'm just giving you a heads up.  Just you wait and see.  In a few hours, he'll be knocking at your door."

"He doesn't have my address," I teased.

"I gave it to him."

"You WHAT?!" I nearly burst.

"Well, he was so nice, and, besides, we live so close.  I didn't exactly give him your address... I just said we live near the beach, just ten minutes away from his store.   I'm only helping you out, you know."

"Look, the last thing I need is another relationship."

Jordan was silent for some time which was unusual for her.

"Maybe it's time to forget the past," she whispered softly.

I looked out the window, and I could see Austin looking right back at me.  His eyes were soft and pleading, as though he was apologizing for the past.

"I just-- I'm just not ready."

She nodded, and patted my hand.  "It takes time."

"Well," I said, hoping to get off the subject, "we have a fun night ahead of us.  With all the food we purchased, we could feed an army."

~*~

I enjoyed the night with Jordan.  We laughed over old times while making the surprise dinner.  Our hair was completely disheveled, and one look at the mirror told me that I had flour smeared across my forehead, but I, honestly, didn't care.  The kitchen was a mess when all the food had been prepared, but we hurried to clean it up.  Finally, after putting some last touches on the dinner table, we practically fell to the couch, and relaxed while watching one of my favorite movies, Pride and Prejudice.

"You know," I said softly at the part where Mr. Darcy asks Lizzy the last time to marry him, "if only love could be that simple."

Jordan nodded softly.  "I guess love can never be simple.  It always has its good and bad, heartbreaks and joys, but in the end it's all worth it."

I smiled softly.  I wondered if I'd ever find my soul mate-- the love of my life.  I felt like I was missing out on something wonderful that I wanted to have so badly.  I had Austin once, and every time he was there, I felt safe and content.  Then when he left, I was empty inside.  Completely empty, and alone.  If I hadn't have met Jordan, my life would've probably crumbled into pieces.  No, that wasn't entirely true.  My life hadn't been completely empty.  I had still had Jesus, and the Bible.  I still remembered those late nights, reading through those cherished words that filled my soul with peace, and my parents who constantly were there for me.  And Amy and Anne who had heard me crying in my bedroom, and had come to give me comforting hugs.  It was that and much more that filled my life back up again.  And even though my life had slowly fit back into place again, I still had the slightest emptiest in my heart.  I suppose I would never have anymore relationships.  My first and last love belonged to Austin.

~*~

I soon forgot about Austin once my parents arrived home, and began exclaiming over the delicious meal.  Jordan and I smiled, and related the events at Publix.  My good-natured father teased us, his eyes twinkling.  My mother simply shook her head, smiling softly.  I'm sure she was imagining the silly scene.

We talked for a few hours until we saw that it was getting late, and I bid Jordan good-bye with a huge hug, and thank-you smile.


"Just you wait and see," she whispered secretly.  "He'll come to visit soon."


I laughed, and nudged her shoulder playfully.  "Maybe," I said, but inside I wondered if she was right.  Maybe I'd be seeing Ashton Harper more often.



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Sorry it was short. I tried to make it as long as possible.

Hope you liked this chapter! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really liked this chapter, friends are such amazing:) me and my bestfriend will be living together I can see us doing that!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Haha xD I like this chapter too. Her parents seem pretty cool too :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.