6) Getting Ready

6) Getting Ready

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"Dear Jackie,

We had some good times together.  But now it's time to move on with our lives, and forget the past.  I'm leaving to Rhode Island, and, though I'll miss it here, I don't believe I'll return.  Our lives were never leading in the same direction, and I suppose that's why we broke up in the first place.  I hope I didn't hurt your feelings for that's not what I intended.  You were my first love, Jackie, and just that.  We did mean a lot to each other, I know that, but maybe it was time to let go.  I wish you the best of luck in everything.


Respectfully,

Austin"


Salty tears rolled down my cheeks, and fell onto the paper, smudging his handwriting.  All I wanted to do was forget, and he hadn't allowed me to with his last few words.  I gained my composure, and began to read the others.


"Dear Jackie,

I don't want to forget all the past memories of our childhood.  I remember the first day I met you, and a few days after I had poured ice down your back.  I had never seen you so mad, and I had only done it because I had the biggest crush on you.  You know, I think you looked prettiest when you were angry.


Well, what I mean to say is that we don't need to stop being friends for you were the best one I ever had, and I would hate to see us as enemies.


Your friend,

Austin"


I wanted to write him back, telling him it was far too late.  We were friends then, but we drifted apart as enemies.  What had happened to us?  I read on, hoping to find some answers.


"Dear Jackie,

I was wrong.  I know that, now, but maybe I was too much a fool to realize.  Look, I love you, Jackie, and I want you to be part of my life again.  I've always loved you, and nothing will ever change that.  I don't want to go to Rhode Island, and I never did.  Please tell me to stay.  


Yours always,

Austin"


I nearly burst into tears when I saw his last words.  His first letter said we needed to move on with our lives, the next said we should be friends, and now he wanted me back, but he was far away, now, in Rhode Island.  Why hadn't he told me before, and left me to find out in the future?  I refused to think again of Austin.  He was gone, and that was the end of it.  I gathered up the letters, and treasure box, walking slowly back to the house.  Daylight was slowly reaching over the horizon, and all I wished to do was cry myself to sleep, never awakening again.  


I stuffed the letters and chest under my bed, and then buried my face in my pillow.


"Lord, what do I do?  I can't erase him from my mind or heart, but I've already told Ashton that I would go.  Why can't I just forget?" I whispered, a tear slipping down my cheek. 



~*~


I woke up to find Jordan in my face.


"What do you want?" I mumbled, trying to block out the sun in my eyes.


"Well, today is your special date, remember?  We need to go shopping, and get you some new clothes!"


I had to smile softly.  "It's just a casual restaurant.  It's nothing fancy."


"Oh, pshaw!  That doesn't mean you can't get a little dressed up."


I could just imagine in my mind, Jordan buying out the whole store, her wallet completely empty in cash.


"Who's paying?" I asked.


"Well, I can help with some things.  Besides, you need some new clothes.  Your drawers are completely empty."


"Well, compared to yours," I laughed.


She threw a pillow on me.  "Well, come on, come on!  Your mom says it's fine as long as you don't spend too much, and are home for dinner."


"Okay, okay.  I'll meet you at Khol's in an hour."


"Great," she squealed, and went jingling all the way out the room.



~*~


"This is way too much money," I said, shaking my head at the price tag that hung on a gorgeous, purple dress with a cinderella-like bottom.  "And, besides, it's like a fairy tale gown.  I don't need something that fancy."


Jordan's eyebrow puckered into a frown.  "Well, we can always find something else," she said, grabbing my hand, and hurrying down the other aisles.


"Oh, look," I said, pointing to a soft colored blue, "it's perfect."


"Well, it would be a nice color on you," Jordan said, nodding softly.  "But how much is it?"


"Not much," I said, smiling, "and it's just my size."


"You'll need a purse to go with it," Jordan pointed out.


"A purse?  Oh, no, this is just fine."


"Okay, have it your way," Jordan laughed, "but we better hurry.  Your mother will have our hides."


I laughed, knowing she was right, and hurried to the changing rooms.


~*~


"Lunch's ready!" I heard my mom call once I had just slipped into the beautiful dress.


"Oh, it's lovely!" Jordan squealed.


I nodded softly, admiring it in the mirror.


"Now, we just need to do your hair.  I saw in a magazine this beautiful new style where you curl it, put it up in a slightly loose bun, and leave little curls of hair wisp about your cheeks.  You'll love it."


"Are you sure?" I asked.


"Positive, but let's first eat.  I'm starved."


I laughed, and followed her into the kitchen.


After eating a light, but satisfying lunch, Jordan carefully pinned up my hair.  She was right.  It was stunning, but I felt that it was just a tad too fancy for the casual restaurant Ashton spoke of.  I didn't mind that much though.  I enjoyed everyone hovering over me, making sure I looked my best.


"You look positively radiant, and I Ashton will probably gawk when he sees you."


I laughed, smacking her playfully on the shoulder.  Truthfully, my stomach was all knots.  I had forced myself to forget about last night, and hadn't even confided in Jordan like I usually do.  I just felt that I needed to keep this to myself.  Besides, it was nothing serious.  Austin didn't plan on coming back, and he had said we should move on with our lives.  That's exactly what I intended to do.


~*~


Before I knew it, the doorbell was ringing.  Ashton looked even more handsome tonight with his white collared shirt rolled up just a little past his elbows, and a casual pair of jeans on.  Ashton seemed to notice that I looked exceptionally beautiful tonight for his eyes seemed to hold approval, and surprise as he looked over me.  It made me feel uneasy like I was some fashion model, and I was open for everyone to see me.  But I shook it off when he offered me his arm, and bid everyone else goodnight.


All I could do was hold my breath, and hope that Austin wouldn't ruin this night by constantly being in my thoughts.  I was going to enjoy myself, and seek every possibility to relax, and have fun.   



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
What do you think of this chapter, and now what do you think of Austin and Ashton?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm kind of confused, haha that's what I get staying up all night reading a good chapter, I think I'll reread these chapters later haha

Posted 12 Years Ago


I am officially HOOKED. I find it a difficult skill to master writing letters in a story without dragging them on, and keeping the book interesting, and you NAILED it. I'm sooo into this story. keep me updated! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awesome chapter! :) It's an amazing book so far and you have the right pace. I can't wait for more. Great talent you have! Luv ya like a sis Kelly! :)

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 22, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.