7) Carefree

7) Carefree

A Chapter by Kelly M.

The night was silently peaceful with a brisk, cool wind.  I had enjoyed the relaxation away from home with Ashton-- immensely.  The restaurant was quiet, but not too overdone in elaborate details.  The food was perfectly seasoned, and satisfactory.  Everything had seemed perfect, and I felt like Ashton and I had already bonded.  We laughed over random things, and talked seriously about the future.  I loved his company.  Whenever I was with him my heart would pound rapidly, and my breath would get caught in my throat.  I reasoned that I must be falling in love.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Ashton teased softly.

I smiled to myself, and breathed in the sweet summer air.  "I guess I'm just thinking about the future."

"I see," he said softly.  "And am I in your future?"

I was silent, thinking about what he had asked, and silently wondered if he was sort of rushing things.  "I don't know," I said softly, "but," I added hesitantly, "maybe if-- if you thought so."

He turned to me, stopping me in my tracks.  "Yes," he whispered softly.  By now, he was only inches away from my face.  I could barely breathe.  "I loved you the minute I saw you, and knew that-- well-- that we were meant for each other."

I smiled softly, and looked down at my feet, then up again.  His eyes were so dark and beautiful.  It took my breath away.  Before I knew it, he was leaning in to kiss me.

"Jackie!"

Startled, I wheeled around to see Amy and Anne watching us curiously from their bedroom window.  For a moment, I felt like giving them a good scolding, but laughed instead.  Ashton chuckled, smiling his slow, deliberate smile.  Then he turned back to me again.

"See you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow?" I teased.  "Isn't that a little soon?"

"It will be an agonizing wait," he said in mock humor.

I blushed, my eyes not being able to hold his gaze.  "That would be fine," I barely whispered.  He kissed me softly on the forehead, and vanished down the streets.

I nearly floated to my bedroom in a wonderful dream.  Amy and Anne ruined it.  They were giggling, teasing me playfully.  I smiled teasingly, and then shut my bedroom door, lying my head on my pillow, and glancing out my slightly open window.

Austin came back into my thoughts, and that was when I remembered the chest and letters.  I slowly took them out, holding them carefully in my hands.  I willed the tears back, refusing to cry over a first love.  I slowly walked out of my bedroom, knowing what I had to do.  I walked over to the kitchen garbage can, looking down once again at my treasures.  I squeezed my eyes shut, and let them slip from my hands, making a slight crash below.  I flew from the room, and to my bedroom.  They were gone now, and, hopefully, I would never see them again.  Everything that had reminded me of Austin was gone, so I could now finally forget him completely.  With that settled in my mind, I slipped into a restless sleep.

~*~

"Well, how did it go?" Jordan asked for the tenth time.  I wasn't surprised to see her sitting on my bed, demanding all the details.  It was just like her to pry everything out of me.

I smiled softly.  "I had a marvelous time."  

"You know you have to tell me more than that," she said in mock laughter.

"Okay," I said, sitting up, and beginning to explain all the details.

"You almost kissed?" she squealed.  "What on earth stopped you?"

"Amy and Anne," I laughed.  "You know how they are."

"Curiosity killed the cat."

"Well, it didn't kill them-- yet," I replied, my face twisting into a teasing smile.

"And you said you're seeing him again?"

"Yep," I nodded.  "I couldn't resist."

"You mean he couldn't," she said, laughing.  "I do believe you are in danger of making him desperately in love with you."

I threw a pillow at her, and we both laughed.

~*~

All the rest of the week not a trace of Austin was in my mind, and if I was ever close to even giving him a thought, I would shove my bothersome thoughts away.  Ashton and I were having the time of our lives, and I didn't want it spoiled.

One usual morning, Ashton came to take me for a 'long, enjoyable walk.'  I couldn't resist saying no especially when we were already pretty much inseparable.

I grabbed a cute sun hat, slipped into jean shorts and aeropostale t-shirt before I skipped out the door.  We both walked along the seashore, hand in hand, laughing and talking like every other normal day.  He blew me away with his soft voice that whispered to me almost every day, telling me over and over that I was 'making him crazier and crazier for me.'

We picked seashells, lied on the sand and called out the shapes in the fluffy clouds, and splashed each other in the salty waves.  I didn't remember feeling so lighthearted, and completely free of my heartache.

"Isn't it amazing how two people can fall so much in love?" he whispered as we stared off at the distant rolling waves.

I smiled, my hair drifting about my face.  "It is definitely amazing," I whispered back, leaning my head on his shoulder.

We stayed on the seashore, savoring every minute together, until the sun began to set, and I knew I must be getting home.  I waved my good-bye to him, and he kissed my hair, promising other days together before I scurried home.  I was checking the daily mail when a soft, familiar voice brought me out of my reverie.

"Jackie."

I wheeled around, almost expecting to see Ashton who had returned to sweep me up into his arms one last time before he finally left.  But instead it was a tall, handsome man of whom brought back too many memories.

I gasped in surprise.  "Austin, what are you--?"  But I couldn't say anything else because my breath had caught in my throat.  It was Austin Blaire.  My first love.  The man I never ever expected to see again.



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Aah!! What do you think will happen now?? I'll give more details in the next chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OMG!!! I KNEW IT!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGG!!!!!! :O Please write more, since I need to know what's going to happen next. xD

~lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


I knew he was coming back! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


DUN DUN DUN. . . lol. . I think I smell a love triangle coming. .

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2011
Last Updated on June 23, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.