8) Far Too Late

8) Far Too Late

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"Austin-- I-- I didn't know you were here," I nearly whispered.  I didn't know what to say.  My heart was fluttering rapidly in shock and surprise.  He told me he was never returning.  Why did he come back now?  Why now when I had a boyfriend?

"Sorry if I surprised you."  His voice was so soft that I could barely hear him.  I wanted to fling my arms around him and cry, but held my ground firmly.  

"Are you-- what are you-- well-- doing here?"

"I moved from Rhode Island."

I took a deep breath.  "Yes, I can see.  Where's your family?"

"They're around here somewhere, but they'll only be visiting for a time."

I nodded slowly, thoughts rushing through my mind.  "Are you staying here?"

"Yes, I got my house back."

I nearly choked on his words.  He would be living three houses away from me.  How worse could it already get?

"Well, I-- um-- welcome back."  I turned around quickly, hoping he didn't detect the tears forming in my eyes.  "I have to go," I said stiffly, and hurried inside before he could reach out and stop me.

I flung myself on my bed, thinking about what Austin had just told me.  He had moved back.  I'd be seeing him more often.  Why?  Why had he come?  I couldn't answer my questions, but tried to get myself under control before my parents returned.

~*~

"Jacqueline, is something wrong?"

It was usual for my mother to call me by my full name.  She was the only one that did, and I enjoyed the sound of it.

I was picking at my lemon pie with my fork, one of my favorite deserts that my mother had made especially for me.  I had been quiet and withdrawn all afternoon, and it was most likely for my mother to notice.  

"You're mind is a thousand miles away," my mother commented, easing in a chair beside me.  "Want to tell me what you're thinking of?"

I sighed, and turned to face her.

"Austin's back."

She was silent for a time, and then said softly, "Oh, I see.  Is he staying for good?"

I nodded, tears coming to my eyes.

"Just when I start to forget him, he returns.  My life will be ruined," I cried.

She held me in her arms just like she did when I was little and had had a nightmare.

"Don't let him get to you.  Just pretend like everything is normal.  Maybe you won't be seeing him as often."

"But he's moving in next door," I explained.  "What ever will I do?"

She patted my shoulder softly.  "I don't know, dear, but the Lord has a purpose for him being here.  Just trust Him to work it all out, okay?"

I nodded slowly.  Austin may be moving back here, but that doesn't mean he's going to be seeing me now or ever.

~*~

"He WHAT?!" Jordan exclaimed.  "Here?  When?"

"Yesterday," I explained.

"Well, what did you say?"

"Nothing really except welcome back, and then I left.  It was so awkward.  I felt like I was in a fish bowl."

Jordan's brow puckered.  "I wonder why he came back, and now."

"Yeah, just when I'm starting to forget him, too."  Then I gasped.  "What will Ashton think?"

She bit her lip.  "He'll probably think nothing of it," she answered casually.  "Besides, it's been a year, hasn't it?"

"A little longer," I whispered.  "Oh, why does he have to be here?"

~*~

I saw little of Austin, much to my relief though I found myself often wondering of what he was doing, and why on earth he had returned.  I had told Ashton as casually as I could, and he seemed to shrug it off like he were some second cousin or something.

It had been about a month since I had heard or seen of him at all when he stopped me at the beach.

"Jackie, I'm--"

"Look, Austin, I don't know why you're here, and what's going through your mind, but you said it's time to forget, and get on with our lives, so can we just do that?"

I looked up into his deep blue eyes, and felt my heart flutter inside.  He used to be so genuine, and sweet.  He'd made my day with his soft smiles, and innocent laugh.  If only I could believe he was still the same Austin I had learned to love a long time ago.

"Jackie, I know that I hurt you, and I've never been more sorry than that day when I told you all those hurtful things."

I cringed just remembering what he had told me a long time ago.

"But I want to start over."

I stepped back, then turned away.  Tears were forming in my eyes, and one slipped down my cheek as I shut my eyes tight.

He put his hands on my shoulders, and turned me to him.  

Before he could say anything else, I heard my name being called.

"Jackie, are you ready?"

It was Ashton.  I took a deep breath, and hurried away before even glancing up at Austin for a last time.  I might've taken him back a year ago, but now it was too late.  Far too late.



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
So, what do you think?

Just so you know, this book will probably be twenty to twenty five chapters long. It won't be as long as A Promise to Keep, for sure. :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Gahhhhhh!!!! Why does he have to be back I can see her and Ashton together forever

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great chapter!! Im really getting into this story!!! Very well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think it's an amazing book. The chapter felt a little too rushed though, for me at least. You have great details and we get to know the character Jackie very well. She's developing well and I think the book is going to be good. :)

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think that she did the right thing for going to Ashton :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
4 Reviews
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on June 27, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.