14) Summer Ends

14) Summer Ends

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"Jordan, do you want to take a walk?"

She looked up from her homework.  A week had passed, and school had started up again.  I had hoped summer would stay here forever, but the change of season comes along, and I knew I couldn't stop change.  

She nodded quickly, closed her books, and followed me out along the shoreline.  A breeze floated pass me, gently warning me that autumn was near.  I loved the colorful fallen leaves that surrounded the world with its peaceful beauty, but I would miss the freedom of summer with the hot sun shining down.

"Why does everything have to change?" I asked softly.

"I don't know," she responded.  "I suppose it's just part of life.  But we shouldn't dread it-- we should embrace it.  If every little thing stayed the same all the time, life would surely be dull."

I laughed, and nodded.  "You're right; it would."

"So, is that what's on your mind?"

I shook my head truthfully.  "Austin is going back to Rhode Island.  Didn't you know?"

"No," she said slowly, and changed the subject.  "Why is he leaving?"

I shrugged.  "He pretty much has no choice.  He can't live on his own forever.  His family is missing him, and he says he'd like to be close to them."

"Have you told him?"

I looked over at her.  "You mean that I want him to stay?"

"No, that you love him."

I held my breath.  "If he wants to go, I'm not going to make it harder by telling him."

"You can't keep it to yourself forever, you know.  He deserves the truth."

I was silent.  She was right, but I just didn't have the nerve.  I had never-- ever told anyone that I loved them before.  I was just the shy one-- it was Jordan who was outgoing and told her mind.

"You were always the one who could speak your mind.  It's too bad you can't do this for me."

She wrapped her arm around me.  "It's not so hard.  It'll set your heart free when you finally get it off of your heart after all these years."

I sighed.  I had to do this.

~*~

There were only a few more days left until Austin was leaving.  I held my breath every time I saw him, trying to get my nerves together.  

"Austin," I approached him one day, "can I talk to you?"

I was confused when I saw his back stiffen, but he turned to me politely, nodding his head for me to go on.

"Um-- I-- how's everything been?"

"Fine, thank you for asking," he said, turning away, and headed inside to do some more packing.

I don't know why, but tears came to my eyes.  I felt like I had lost him-- somehow.  Why had he changed?

~*~

"How can I tell him, now?" I asked Jordan.  "If he doesn't even want to talk to me, how will I even be able to approach him?  As soon as I thought that everything was settled between us, it's ruined again."

"Maybe he has a reason..."

"Well, if he does, I don't know what it is."


"What about Ashton?  Maybe he thinks you still have feelings for him."

"I never had feelings for him."  Then I gasped.  "Maybe that is what he thinks."  Then I jumped up from my bed.  "I'll have to tell him."

Jordan smiled.  "Then do it-- right now."  



© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Sorry... this isn't that good of a chapter... or book either. I think I'm going to make this the second to last chapter. I don't know what you think so far, but please (PLEASE) give me your honest thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

More! Like now!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really can't wait for a sequel for this book, if you make one. :) I think this book was amazing, but you've already seen my reviews to know that I loved it. Hopefully, Jackie WILL tell Austin how she feels, but it's her heart that she has to follow. I wish I could've told the person I loved before that I did... Anyway, it's a great chapter. Well done :)

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


i like the book and the chapter i think is really good i cant believe this is the second to last chapter i really hope that Jackie tells Austin how she really feels can't wait for the last chapter awesome job :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 4, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.