14) I Do

14) I Do

A Chapter by Kelly M.

"... to love, comfort, honor, and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, to death do you part?"

April looked up into Drew's eyes, knowing, without a shade of doubt in her heart, that he would keep his promise to her, loving her, keeping her as she would do unto him.

"I do," she whispered.

"I now pronounce you man and wife."

April felt herself surrounded in Drew's arms, being lovingly kissed as bells were rung, and everyone laughed and cried at the same time.

"I love you," she whispered.

He smiled, taking her hand, as they ran back through the flowers, and everyone flew rice into the air.

April couldn't help not smiling, but cried as she gave a last good-bye to her parents who would be leaving early the next day back up to Pennsylvania.

"Don't forget to write," her mother reminded, and April nodded for the tenth time.

"And remember that if you need anything, just let us know.  We'd certainly love to visit."

April smiled through her tears.  "You know you're welcome here anytime."

Mrs. Thompson gave her daughter a quick, last hug, then almost scolded, saying, "Well, goodness, don't keep Drew waiting." 

She didn't argue, and climbed into the car, throwing her bouquet in the air-- which landed in the unexpected lap of an elderly neighbor.  The woman's face turned beet red, muttering something like, "Well, I never!"  Everyone had a hard time stifling their laughter, but as Drew and April began to depart, their attention gradually averted from the embarrassed lady.

They pulled away from the quaint, familiar farmhouse, and up towards their own home.  Drews' and hers.  The home where they'd start their life together, and that would one day hold many, many memories.

April looked back, waving her handkerchief to the crowd of guests who stood-- some with teary eyes and others with reassuring smiles.  It felt so new and different.  April married.  Today, not tomorrow.  A whole new life waited ahead.

~*~

They reached the door of their log house, and Drew lifted her into his arms as he carried her across the threshold.  She always thought statements like "being completely and perfectly happy" were slightly exaggerated, but that was exactly how she felt.  Complete.  Perfect.  Loved.

"I have something for you."

She gave him a teasing smile.  "Oh?"

"Close your eyes," he directed, and she followed suit.  She felt his hands hold hers, and lead her somewhere outside.  She enjoyed the game he was playing, and laughed softly.  "Where are you taking me?" she asked.

"You'll find out."

Minutes later, he allowed her the freedom to look.  When she had, she gasped.  In front of her, stood a beautiful black filly.

"Where-- what...?" she stammered.

A smile spread across his face.  "I just got her today."

"She's... why, she's beautiful."

"I had some trouble thinking of a proper wedding gift, and, knowing how much you missed Jack, I thought maybe you would like another horse."

April hadn't intended to cry, but the tears flowed down her cheeks.  "Thank you," she whispered.  She wanted to say that she loved her, and couldn't imagine a finer wedding gift, and how thoughtful he had been.  But all she could say was 'thank you.'

Drew understood though, and nodded.

"She's wild," he went on, and chuckled softly, "but I'd say with your way with horses, she'll be gentled in no time."

April nodded, still speechless.

"I still haven't named her.  I thought you'd like to."

And, suddenly, without thinking, she whispered, "Leila."

"What?" he asked, surprise in his voice.

April smiled then.  "I read it from a book once.  I means 'dark beauty.'"

"Well, it certainly fits her."

She nodded, smiling as Leila tossed her sleek neck, and pranced about, her head held high.

April suddenly came to a realization.  "When did you get this finished?" she asked, waving her hands at the fence.

"About a week ago.  Your father's been helping me with it."

"All this time, everyone knew, but me."

He laughed, and took her hand.  "How would you like to take a hike up in the woods like we did all those years ago?"

April smiled, remembering the picnic lunch under the autumn leaves when they were young and carefree, full of such preposterous notions.  She had almost forgotten.

 She nodded.  "And maybe we can go to that same spot on the rock by the small waterfall."

It was his turn to smile then.  "Exactly what I had in mind."



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:)

What do you think?

P.S. Please review! :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

what a perfect chapter :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful chapter! Though what ever happpened to Kanika and Karver and their wedding, and Will? Will Will (haha) come back? Into the story, I mean? That would be a major plot twist. Great work!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww, so sweet! I'm so glad you've gotten more written!!! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love this book. Its so sweet and cute. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


oh wow, to tell you the truth Im really caught up in this book. I love this couple. Its very good kelly cant wait for chapter 15:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG!!! I'm super happy about this book. Wonderful job girlie!!! :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
6 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 20, 2011
Last Updated on January 22, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.