15) Winter's Promise

15) Winter's Promise

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Picnicking in December.  It sounded quite silly really, but April was determined to have a picnic, whether it would snow or not.  So, after packing a quick lunch, they hiked up the mountain underneath the bare, gangly branches of the oak trees and towards the flat rock by the stream.  A cool breeze often sent April shivering, but she enjoyed the out of doors, and everything else, good or bad, that came along with it.

After finding their childhood spot, they seated themselves on a white-and-red checkered tablecloth, silently nibbling on their sandwiches, drinking in the beautiful afternoon.

"I miss those adventures we'd go on together," April murmured softly, then smiled at the memory.  "We really were quite silly then, weren't we?  I remember Jenny and I were picking berries here once, and we heard a strange noise behind us.  Instantly, we dropped our pails, thinking it to be a bear or something, and ran, screaming the whole way home."  April laughed.  "Really, it was only you, trying to frighten us."

Drew nodded with a teasing grin.  "It's funny to think about it, now."

April picked up her skirts, and began pulling off her shoes.

"Whatever are you doing?" he teased her.

"It's been so long since we've gone wading in the stream.  Why not relive the memory?"

"In the dead of winter?" he asked, laughing.

She gave him that look that quickly silenced his teasing tongue as she sloshed her way through the toe tingling waters like a playful, little child.

"Oh, it is cold," she admitted, but then quickly added, "but refreshing."


So, the rest of the afternoon, they went wading, splashing each other childishly, and laughing.  April didn't think she had heard laughter so sweet and dear as she did then.


After that, they scavenged for unusually large pine cones, pointed out funny looking squirrels, and simply enjoyed God's creation.

~*~

Hours passed, and the sun slowly disappeared over the edge of the horizon.  Drew and April hurried to pack up, and then walked, ever so slowly, back to the house, gazing up at the beautifully painted sunset.

April began to sing.  She sang a favorite childhood song of hers, and Drew began to sing with her on the chorus.  Soon the still, silent forest was filled with music, and April had a strange, contented feeling that all the forest creatures were listening.

As soon as their little home came in sight, soft snowflakes danced to the ground.  April held her face to the sky, closing her eyes, and feeling the beauty surround her.  Drew wrapped his coat about her as they walked back to their precious, little home, joy in their hearts as their first snowfall tumbled down to earth, bringing a gentle promise with them.  The promise of winter.



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
Yes, life is perfect. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

its funny to think of snow in December we get tempretures of 40 degrees celcius and higher in december we hear about deaths on TV because its so hot. for anyone reading this that goes by Farinhight 40 C is about 100 F. sorry for my bad spelling. great chapter Kelly

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh, so sweet! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Agreed, stunning imagery. I love this novel. Reading on!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh, so sweet! And so well written. The imagery was STUNNING. I'm so glad there's finally more chapters:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww!! So sweet!!! Cant wait to read what happens next. . Great chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awesome chapter. It was sweet(:

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved this chapter. The skip kinda was unexpected, but I liked it. Wonderful write, as always. :) I can't wait to read more.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 21, 2011
Last Updated on January 22, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.