17) Forgiven

17) Forgiven

A Chapter by Kelly M.

April stirred, and rubbed her sleepy eyes.  She looked about her, and realized Drew had, sometime in the night, laid a blanket over her, so she wouldn't freeze from the wintry, cold weather.  The mere thought of Drew made her head jerk to her side, but she realized he wasn't there.  Her heart constricted with panic, and she jumped from her bed towards her window.

In the distance, she recognized Drew's tall frame, and watched as he was building the chicken pen as he had promised.  The tears began to form in April's eyes, but she willed them back.  Guilt seemed to press on her as her tumbling thoughts began speaking to her heart, telling her she had been completely wrong to accuse him of something he hadn't tried to do.  He hadn't purposefully tried to worry her, and it wasn't his fault for stopping to talk to James.  And it surely wasn't his fault that she had gotten herself lost.  What had Drew ever done to her except what was kind and good?  Why had she been so selfish?  

"Oh, Lord," she prayed, "please forgive me.  And I pray that Drew will be able to forgive me, too."

Her burden was released from her shoulders, and, with a heart at peace, she began to get dressed.

It wasn't long after April had made breakfast when Drew quietly entered the kitchen.  April wheeled around as soon as she heard the door open.  Her eyes searched his face, hoping he'd see how truly sorry she was.  But before she could say a word, he gathered her into his arms, and soft tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry," he said, pulling back slowly.  "I should have known..."

"No," April interrupted, shaking her head.  "No, I'm sorry.  I've been... I've been just selfish this whole time.  Please," she whispered, "will you ever forgive me?"

She felt him pull her close.  "Of course, I do," he whispered against her hair.  "You know all along that I couldn't dream of hurting you.  I never meant that."

"I know," April nodded, then smiled up into his eyes.  "I know."

~*~

After that, April felt as though she and Drew had grown closer somehow.  He was always on time from now on, and made sure to never track his muddy boots on April's well-polished floors.  During dinner, he'd relate any interesting details about his day, and always asked of April's.  They'd sit by the fire in the evenings and read their Bible together, sharing future dreams and past memories.  They'd have afternoon picnics, or take long walks by the stream.  Such little things, but they meant the world to April.

~*~

One usual evening, Drew came home, his eyes sparkling with an exciting secret.

"Wipe that smirk off your face," she reprimanded mockingly, "and tell me what's going on."

He smiled.  "How would you like an early Christmas gift?" he asked.

With an excited nod, he took her hands, instructing her to follow him.  Once they were out the door, April gasped.  There was Leila hitched up to a beautiful wooden sleigh.

She turned to him, her eyes full of questions.

"I've been training her," he said, his face awaiting to see her reaction.

She flung her arms around him, and, when pulling back, her face was beaming with pleasure.

"How thoughtful of you," she whispered.  "And all this time," she said, her voice touched with laughter, "I thought you weren't going to consider training her until spring."

He put on his teasing smile, and gave a mock bow.  "Would your majesty like to have an evening sleigh ride?"

April laughed, and took his arm.  "I'd be only too pleased to comply," she said, following in on the game.

Laughingly, they hopped into the sleigh, and, with the jingle of the harness, they went riding off into the starlit night.

"How did you get the sleigh?" April asked softly, as she lay her head on his shoulder.

"I made it," he said simply.

"Really?" she gasped, then whispered softly, "It's beautiful." 

Drew didn't answer immediately, but April didn't miss the soft smile flicker across his face.

~*~

Before they had arrived home, April had drifted off into peaceful slumber.  Drew hopped out of the sleigh, and came over on her side, surprised to see her sleeping soundly.  His smile was soft and his eyes expressing his deep love and devotion towards her.  Gently, he picked her up, and whispered ever so softly in her ear, "I love you, Mrs. Carter."



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:)

I love writing this book.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't even know where to start.

First of all, this is one of the only books on here that seriously excites me when I have a new chapter to read:) Secondly, the way you've created this characters is just amazing, and their love just radiates off to the reader. This was one of my personal favorite chapters:) Keep writing! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love reading this book :D They seem so perfect together. This is one of my favorite chapters yet, besides the wedding :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Mrs. Carter. Beautiful. I'm in love with this novel and all of it's relateable, lovable characters. Well done!!
-Livs

Posted 12 Years Ago


I don't even know where to start.

First of all, this is one of the only books on here that seriously excites me when I have a new chapter to read:) Secondly, the way you've created this characters is just amazing, and their love just radiates off to the reader. This was one of my personal favorite chapters:) Keep writing! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aww... Drew's so sweet:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awwww!!! This poem is super sweet and the romance in this book is beautiful. You're a natural at christian romance, girlie. :) You did an excellent job at making the love of a married couple come to life. Well done. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved it!!! It was so sweet and romantic and just all around great! I loved then ending, from Drew's perspective!!! It was fabulous!


Posted 12 Years Ago


LOVED it!!! It was really sweet nd romantic. . especially the ending. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
7 Reviews
Added on July 30, 2011
Last Updated on February 12, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.