21) Inner Peace

21) Inner Peace

A Chapter by Kelly M.

Snowflakes danced to the ground as April looked up to the sky, feeling God surround her with an inner peace.

She heard soft footsteps approach her, and then felt a hand interlace with hers.

"Beautiful tonight, isn't it?" Drew whispered, following her gaze.

April smiled, nodding.

"You know," she said slowly, "I was so-- well-- rather unforgiving.  I felt that-- when your father told me about your mom... I just felt like something had died inside of me."  She was silent for a moment, then whispered,  "Something special."

Drew was silent, waiting for her to go on.

"I realized that that 'something' was peace.  I held bitter to God.  I didn't want Him to take her.  She was like a second mother to me.  I wasn't willing to let His will be done."

Drew nodded slowly.

"Then when your father thanked God.  He thanked Him for taking her.  I guess something inside told me that she would be fine.  No, not fine.  Better than fine.  She was happy.  At peace.  She was with God.

  "Not that I was glad to let her go.  It hurt me terribly.  At first, I thought I couldn't live without her here.  Then, ever so slowly, I accepted it.  I was at peace, because I knew she was also at peace."

Drew smiled his understanding, and squeezed her hand.

"I thought Christmas wouldn't be the same," she admitted.  "Instead, it was the most special Christmas I've ever had.  It taught me something.  Something I will, now, always cherish."

They were both silent then, enjoying the quiet serenity of the evening.  Then Drew, breaking the silence, said softly, "You know what?"

April looked over at him.  "What?" she whispered.

"You are special, too."

~*~

"Open it," he urged as she looked down at the package in her arms that had been sent to her yesterday.

Taking a deep breath, she unwrapped the contents.

"Oh, it's a quilt!" she exclaimed, running her hands along the hand sewn fabric, admiring it with a smile.  "I know exactly where I'll put this."  She folded it carefully, then, opened the anticipated letter.

"Dear Drew and April," she read aloud.  "Christmas has always been a special time of the year, and I'm sure you will enjoy this first one together.  One day you'll look back on it, and smile at the memories that were shared that day.

Our Christmas was a simple affair.  A few employees from your father's work joined us for they had no families to share it with.  I don't remember ever having a Christmas quite like it.  I surely won't forget the surprise and tears of joy on their faces that night.  We shared the Christmas story with them as we had done all those many past years with you, April, when you were a child, and welcomed them with smiles and warm embraces.  I don't think they had ever experienced the love of a family.  I was only too glad to show them what that was like.

We have found a good church here, and look forward to each Sunday.  The preacher, who is new to our community, has visited our home quite a few times, and we've had the pleasure to know him and his family better.  It also gives us time to socialize with more people, and I'm pleased to say that they are quite friendly and open.

As for Karver and Kanika, they have often visited us, and are always keeping us updated with how they've been.  Kanika has often asked of you, and misses you very much, she says.  She would like to visit you sometime the end of March and wonders if she wouldn't be intruding.  I told her you'd burst with joy at the prospect.  So, she has asked me to write and ask you if that would be alright.  She'd love to see you again.

I hope this letter finds you both well and in good health.  

We miss you both very much, and think and pray for you every day.

May God bless you both.

All our love,

Mom and Dad."

April was silent for a moment, pondering her mother's words.

"Can you imagine?" she finally whispered.  "After all this time, Kanika coming to visit?  It feels like I haven't seen her in years."

"Then why don't you write back immediately, and tell her to come?" Drew asked, his eyes twinkling.

April's face broke into a smile as she flew her arms around him.  "This is the best Christmas gift I could ever ask for!"



© 2012 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
:D

Kanika is coming! Yay!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

YAY Kanika is coming :D
I am happy I chose this weekend to read this book.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awww! I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to read this book. I've been busy lately. I really love the relationship that the two have. It's like the fairytale couple that everyone wants to be. You're such a great young writer. :)

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful chapter! I love how close Drew and April are, as they both kept their promises. Their relationship is that one must dream of. Another wonderful chapter, I'm anxious to read on!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very excited for more!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


KANIKA!!!!!!!! oh, I'm so happy. This was such a warm, peaceful chapter. Excellent job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think I want to know who Kanika is :D

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
6 Reviews
Added on August 8, 2011
Last Updated on February 19, 2012


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.